Zendesk Reply ' MountPoints'?

This is the reply from Zendesk, relating to CTD’s I get every time.

Please send us the following elements (see instructions below our signature) and we will investigate further.

• Your DxDiag

• Your MSinfo

• A copy of your UserCFG.opt file

• Screenshots or video capture depicting the issue

• A copy of the “MountPoints”

• Screenshots of the “Community” and “Official” folders

We appreciate you taking the time to send these files. The information gathered by support will help our team investigate the error logs and propose potential solutions. This potentially includes performing complex troubleshooting steps.

‘MountPoints’ ? No explanation. How can I do a screenshot of a CTD, no warning.? Thanks for any advice.

They clearly state screen shots of your community and official folders (so they can see what’s in there obviously) not a screenshot of the CTD.

Mount points are where the folders are mounted.

To be honest that’s a very fair and thorough response.

If you can, take a vid of it crashing
Glad you got a reply!

I think they may indeed be looking for exactly that!

1 Like

Sry but WHAT? File/folder path in win explorer?

Not if you’re using an addon linker

1 Like

Aaaah okay…

1 Like

Developer here (not associated with MSFS development): even I have trouble understanding what exactly Asobo wants to see here.

Especially since the term „to mount a drive“ is probably extremely rarely used in the „Windows“ world, for sure not by „home users“ - or did any of your friends ever said to you: „Could you quickly mount this USB stick on your Windows computer in order to copy the file“? I don‘t think so: you just connect a drive and Windows „mounts“ it automatically for you, so very few Windows users are aware of the term „to mount a drive“, I‘d say.

„Mounting drives“ is a Unix thing: you might come across that term when you own a NAS or so… ah what? A network attached storage (a „mini-server“, simply put). But even then most Windows users would probably still say „connect with the NAS“ rather than „to mount a network share“.

But even if we now understand what „mounting a storage medium“ means: what exactly does Asobo want to „see“ here? A screenshot of the File Explorer with all assigned drive letters? What would that be good for? One couldn‘t tell which drive is which, let alone what kind of drive (removable medium, network share, SSD, …)

And what is this info good for? If we at least knew that it would help to figure out what Asobo is looking for here.

2 Likes

Its for mount points used if / where the community folder has been redirected as a mount point using addon linker type software. The term is used in that type of software and MountPoints have been used in Windows since Windows 2000. Its usually used as a form of folder redirection in Windows.

I know that :wink: But my argument was that very few “Windows home users” would know that.

Okay, but now I understand better: Asobo wants to specifically know whether one is using software to “redirect the Community folder”. Apparently that is what such “addon linker type software” does (I wasn’t aware of that, because I am not using such software - and I guess nor do 99% of all other MSFS users).

And then you can mount another drive into the (empty) Community folder, like this:

Interesting…

2 Likes