Zinertek Enhanced Airport Graphics 4.0 released

Hi, just bought this for Xbox and i like it.
Two questions:

How does this Addon determine what surface texture to use?
Is this hardcoded into MSFS and then this addon just uses the fitting texture? Because sometimes i seem to have different textures (one brighter, one much darker) for different runways on the same airport and if i look at google maps both runways look the same (surface) and according to skyvector both have the same surface? For example: 0B8 - Elizabeth Field

Also, does this mod change the lights? I cant put my finger on it and it might be an illusion but it seems the lights on the runway and taxiway look better with this addon?

Hi there,

In regards to your questions:

How does this Addon determine what surface texture to use?

MSFS uses satellite data to determine the color and brightness of the texture. In other words, MSFS automatically colorizes our textures in order to more closely match every airport surface. For example, if an airport in real life has a very yellowish tarmac color, MSFS will automatically colorize our textures in order to make the tarmac look closer to what looks like in real life.

For example, these are what our textures actually look like:

MSFS automatically colorizes our textures in order to match the colors of the surfaces in real life resulting in this:

Is this hardcoded into MSFS and then this addon just uses the fitting texture?

It is hardcoded in that MSFS chooses the fitting surface and where to place it.

For example, if you check KSFO the runways may look glitchy with some weird patches:

However, it is not a glitch. The runways are meant to look like this as MSFS uses satellite data to match the way the runways look in real life in this particular airport:

This way MSFS ensures that every airport closely resembles its real life counterpart

Because sometimes I seem to have different textures (one brighter, one much darker) for different runways on the same airport and if i look at google maps both runways look the same (surface)

Yeah, unfortunately, the system MSFS uses to colorize the airports is not always 100% accurate. There’s no way for us to modify or fix any anomalies such as the ones at this particular airport (0B8 - Elizabeth Field) with the runways. Even if you uninstall our add-on, you will still see one runway darker than the other so there’s not much that can be done.

Also, does this mod change the lights? I cant put my finger on it and it might be an illusion but it seems the lights on the runway and taxiway look better with this addon?

Our add-on does not modify the lights are at all but perhaps our textures provide better contrast thus creating the illusion that lights are different

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Great support.

2 Likes

I’m pretty happy with the texture enhancements with small limitations:

Some addon airports partially use “stock” taxiway lines and partially use their own (color matched with the stock ones). With Zinertek the stock ones are changed so the mix on those airports sometimes looks weird since you get a mix of bright yellow (matching the stock) and orange (zinertek) colors. One example is the great ENGM freeware scenery.

And using the EDDF handcrafted scenery from MSFS Premium Deluxe, the runways and taxiways look awfully dark green and I have no idea why. Without Zinertek all looks alright.
@DaeYumYum is that also due to that “colormatching” algorithm? I have no idea how to prevent this and it basically makes EDDF unusable for me if I don’t want to uninstall Zinertek.

Hi @CopperNu , I’ll address your questions:

When it comes to the taxiway lines, it seems that a few select freeware airports use the stock taxiway lines that our add-on replaces but they also seem to have their own custom taxi lines near the gates. This results in the different taxiway line colors you mentioned. In this case, we could change the color of our taxiway lines back to the original yellow in order to match those from ENGM and send them to you so you can replace the orange ones included with our add-on.

As for EDDF looking green, this one is a tricky one because this bug was introduced in World Update VI. Since then, this particular airport has acquired a green tint. It seems that the “colormatching” algorithm from BING maps is mistakenly applying the color of the grass into the airport textures.

We tried EDDF with the default textures and even with the stock textures this airport has a green tint as shown here:

This is difficult for us to fix this because MSFS is automatically adding this green tint on top of our textures at this particular airport. We would have to increase the brightness of our textures considerably for this effect to be reduced. However, this would result in much brighter textures in all your other airports worldwide.

If you are willing to try brighter textures in order to reduce the green tint at EDDF or if you would like to try taxiway lines that match the yellow color of the default ones, you can get in touch with us at support@zinertek.com and we’ll gladly help you.

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed answer :slight_smile:
Yeah, I noticed that the stock ground textures also have the green tint, it was just heavily exaggerated with the Zinertek.

I’m not sure I can apply changed textures since I bought it via Marketplace, but I’ll contact you. Thanks a lot!

Basically I only really noticed that at ENGM with the different yellow tones since most freeware just use stock textures and most payware use their own. That kind of mix isn’t often that it bothers me a lot.
EDDF weighs heavier for me, let’s hope there will be a proper fix by Asobo to resolve this.

No problem @CopperNu, glad to help :slight_smile:

We are hopeful that Asobo will fix the green tint at EDDF down the line. In the mean time, we could send you some alternate textures that reduce the green tint at this particular airport. You can apply the modified textures even if you bought our add-on via the Marketplace.

Simply get in touch with us at: support@zinertek.com and we’ll gladly help you.

Cheers!

just brought this yesterday but im getting some small patches of grass on the taxiways and runways, not sure it an issue of SU10 beta (im on the SU10 beta) or the product :roll_eyes:

That is an issue of SU 10 Beta not this dlc

1 Like

thanks for the info, hope would be fixed in the final release of SU10

Me too, you can report it here in this topic Grass in runways, taxiways and aprons

1 Like

Version 3 is out! Free upgrade for existing users. It includes new textures, but I havent been able to check them out yet.

1 Like

Interested to see what these updates look like. Great to see this package getting updates.
Sadly no updated images on their web page but-

Version 3.0 contains features from previous versions plus:

NEW asphalt runways
NEW concrete runways
NEW runway skid marks
NEW asphalt taxiways
NEW aprons
Optimized textures to ensure good FPS performance
1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. The Marketplace product page has now been updated with screenshots from ‘Enhanced Airport Graphics’ version 3.0

Does this mean we can now upgrade for free to version 3 through the ingame marketplace if we own version 2 ???

Hi @patrickb1973, that’s correct. If you purchased ‘Enhanced Airport Graphics’ on or after July 15th, 2022 at the Marketplace, then you should already have version 3.0 installed.

If you have version 2.0 then you will be able to update to version 3.0 through the Content Manager. It will appear in the ‘Update Available’ category.

In the Content Manager you can also see which version you currently have installed:

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that Enhanced Airport Graphics has been updated.

This is the biggest update yet as we have reworked all textures and greatly improved surface reflections on runways, taxiways, aprons and more.

New in Version 4.0

• Reworked all airport textures
  • NEW and more realistic surface reflections
  • NEW and more realistic runway skid marks
  • NEW asphalt runways
  • NEW bitumen runways
  • NEW concrete runways
  • NEW asphalt taxiways
  • NEW concrete taxiways
  • NEW aprons

You can download this update now from the Content Manager.

Here are some screenshots of version 4.0:

Happy flying!

24 Likes

Nice!

Thank you for continuing to develop and support your product!

2 Likes

You bet! We are committed to improving and supporting our product all the way :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Thanks for the update! One of the best addons for MSFS.

2 Likes