1.37.12 memory optimization improvements

Here is a comparison between the .11 & .12 builds of my Newark to Kennedy test flight. Overall, the average FPS for the flight was almost the same, but the “spikes” in the .12 build (shown later) are inflating the .12 build result. If one removes all FPS over 30 ( i.e. “spikes”) from both builds, then the average FPS comparison becomes:

Build .11 .12
With Spikes 19.4 19.8
Without Spikes 19.4 18.3

My impression during the .12 flight was that there was a slight drop in FPS compared to the .11 build, particularly during take-off & landing, and that was confirmed when I compared the screenshots with the dev-mode FPS enabled:

Build .11 .12
Spawn 20.9 19.5
Take off 18.5 17.1
On Final 20.4 15.9
Landing 15.1 12.7
Parked 14.4 13.8

Although I was flying along the same flight plan, the two flights were obviously not identical - altitudes varied, where I looked varied, my speed varied, I did not take-off or land at exactly the same time, etc., so the exact numbers are not so important as the trend - the .12 build FPS is less across the board.

I also thought that the flight was not as smooth as the .11 build. Comparing the data collected using HWinfo64 shows:

The .12 build shows “spikes” that were not present on the .11 build. These spikes might be the cause of my subjective impression of “less-smoothness”. Note that these spikes are not causing noticeable stutters, such as those I see when AI traffic & airport scenery is loaded.

I also took a flight around the San Fransisco Bay area last night (on .11) and today (on .12) and although I did not collect any data, my impression of today’s .12 build flight was that it too was less smooth.

Next, looking at Physical Memory Load, you can see what may be the result of the memory Optimizations in the .12 build:

So, it looks like the optimizations may help those with less RAM on the motherboard, but on my PC it has had a slight, but noticeable, negative effect on performance.

Partial Specs & settings:
Build: SU15B v1.37.12.0
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: None
Flight configuration: Multiplayer: All Players. Traffic: Live, Weather: Preset Clear Skies
i7-12700K (No overclocking), 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB, v31.0.101.5333).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x960 @ 125, AMD Fidelity - 150, VSync - On, FRL - 100% MRR (60 Hz), HDR10 - Off, DX12B, TLOD @ 250, OLD @ 200, Motion Blur - Off, Lens Correction: Off, Other settings - all Ultra (High for Water Waves & Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate)
Traffic Tab: Aircraft Traffic Type - Real-Time Online, Slider Settings - All 100%, Generics (AI, MP) - Both Off, Show MP in Vicinity - On, Traffic Variety - Ultra
Data Tab: Data Connection: All six options - On, Data Limit - Off, Bandwidth - Unlimited, Rolling Cache - Off
Developers Tab: Developer Mode - On (to display FPS)
MSFS Version: MS-Store, Standard, plus All WUs, City Updates and most MS free aircraft (Pelican, Dune Exp. & Orbis FE Hospital not installed).
MSFS installed on HDD: 7,200 RPM, 600 MB/s max I/O data-transfer rate, 216 (226 MB/s max) sustained data transfer rate OD.
Peripherals: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Xbox 360 USB Controller

14 Likes