3080/3090 Undervolt

Yup. I’ve always used that method for undervolting.

Reduce curve, raise one point… then optionally raise the points below that back up to zero.

But no matter where I pick the point to raise, it never just goes all the way up to that voltage.

On my previous cards, I used the method you show and I could basically pick any voltage and decide how much clock I could push at that voltage, e.g. 1730mhz at 750mv, 1860mhz at 850mv, 1980mhz at 950mv or something like this… whatever I set it to, the card would basically always run at that speed. Job done.

With my new card, even using the same method, speed never stays constant. So all I end up doing when I undervolt is limiting the max clock.

Not sure if it’s something specific to the gigabyte cards, or something that changed in afterburner or nvidia drivers… but ever since I got this card I’ve never had luck undervolting it. Also though, I sold my old card to my friend, and he can’t get it to undervolt now either… exact card that I used to get a rock solid 1860mhz all the time… using exact same settings I gave him… it constantly down clocks… which is why I was thinking something has changed either in AB or Nvidia?

Just to clarify too, when I say “always” at that clock… it would still idle at much lower speed and voltage… but in game it used to constantly hit 1860 and stay there.

New card hits max of 2025 ish, but fluctuates between 2000+, 1900+, 1800+ and sometimes down to 1700+.

No matter what, it is still outperforming my old card… obviously… it’s a 3080ti… it’s gonna. Temps never go above 65 even under full load, so im not worried about that at all… just now thinking that I should be able to get same erformance and save power and hopefully more consistent clock speed.

Im not adverse to it down clocking when it needs to, probably better for the life of the card or whatever… but we all know how demanding this sim is, so every drop of performance counts, right?

Moved to Self-Service, PC &Hardware.

I thought I’d try this with my Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti a couple of weeks ago. It works perfectly. I have 1911 locked at .975 and temps stay under 66c. I always watch the hot spot and, since I did this, it keeps under 80c. Regardless, the clock does fluctuate between 1863 and 1949 depending on load in MSFS; Idle at 139MHz.

I run a 3080 with a ryzen 5 3600 - and looks like I am mainly CPU limited - although my settings are ultra for most on VR, i get an average of 32 FPS. never goes below 30 FPS.

everything runs smoothly and never had a crash. The GPU is at 70% load !

But…the main thing which bothers me is coil whine…from the PSU !
I thought it was the GPU, but when I checked it actually came from the PSU - 850W SFX cooler master (with the improved fan curve).

I will try to undervolt and see if the noise goes away.

RTX 3090 Tuf OC here, undervolted @0.875v

also I added some passive thermal pads

Temp results
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/4X/c/1/7/c17a10d2d02fd75ec429531f26a4d0148c811e83.png

3 Likes

that’s a pretty decent drop with the pads. I was tempted to go the hybrid kit for my FTW3 for some water cooling but maybe the pads are a better solution. Where did you find them?

I got these from amazon, pretty simple and cheap, there are more expensive / efficient ones but they did the trick for me

1 Like

thanks heaps. Does your CPU exhaust out of the case or does it pull cool air from outside?

I’ve taken a similar approach to my GTX 1080ti, but added a couple of Noctua fans (the left one tilted up to push more on the direction of the rear exhaust) to further dissipate the heat coming from the heatsinks. I’ve never measured exactly what the cooling effect should be,or is, but my temperatures (see above) are never a worry.

1 Like

are your rams in dual channel mode? i can’t really make it, but they seem next to each other.

Question: When you had constant Clock before, did you have NVCP set to ‘prefer maximum performance’ under power settings? ‘Adaptive’ and ‘Optimal’ produce far more fluctuation than Max in my experience i.e. few drops in core clock speed.

Only options in nvcp are “normal” or “prefer max performance”, but both cards behave the same with either setting.

I’m curious. I saw somewhere else that some people only have those two options. My NVCP has five options: optimal, adaptive, prefer maximum performance, NVIDIA driver controlled, prefer consistent performance. My driver: 511.65 DCH.

I just downloaded the new driver today and could see the option maximum performance - i chose it.
Works fine - no difference from previous driver.

I did the same with a clean install. However, I since discovered that those more limited options you have only relate to 3000 series cards. Actually, the new installation has reduced my options to optimal, adaptive and max performance in NVCP.

same driver I think. not at home at the moment, but it jsut updated the other day.

maybe it depends on which gpu or which series?

mine is a gigabyte 3080ti gaming OC 12gb.

I do see the explanations if i hover the mouse over, but only 2 options are actually listed.

It’s all a bit strange though. As i said, no matter what I do in afterburner, it doesn’t improve anything in games/tests. When I undervolt, I can see that the voltage then never goes above what I set, but it also always dips below it. e.g. if i set an undervolt of 2025mhz @ 1.00V…it’ll never go above 1V, but it dips down and fluctuates between 1.0V, 987mv, 950mv, 918mv, 887mv, 818mv, etc…if i then set an undervolt even as low as say 1845mhz @ 800mv (probably unstable, but jsut an example), you’d expect it to basically stick at 800mV and 1845mhz all the time, as it’s less voltage than it had ever tried to pull previously…yet instead, it will never go above 800mv, but will dip down to 787mv, 750mv, 717mv etc…I’m just pulling these numbers out of thin air for an example, but the point is that the unvervolt IS taking some affect, in that it’s limiting voltages and clock speeds…but it’s also having basically ZERO effect on boost behaviour, i.e. it still downclocks in the same places, as if it was pushing much higher volatages already.

the other strange thing is that temperatures are not affected at all in ANY of my undervolts. card sits between 28 and 32 C at idle, and goes up to between 55 and 65 under full load, usually hitting no more than 60. This does not change whether im stock or whether im limited down to sub 800mv, wheras previously, undervolting was the only way i could keep my old card at reasonable temperatures.

Now, the only thing I haven’t tried (and I can’t since I don’t have the old card anymore, it’s in my friends PC) is seeing how the undervolt behaves with my OLD card AND my OLD PC, but with new drivers and afterburner software. (along with my new card i also built a whole new PC, i712700k, 16gb DDR5). His PC is similar specs to my old PC though.

gigabyte do have their own overclocking software, which i quickly tested and gave the card a 100mhz boost…it then did reach a higher clock speed of max 2100mhz, and temps did increase slightly (i think gpu temp went up to 70, mem and hot spot upto like 75 i think it was)…which is also strange because in afterburner, the MOST i can manually boost to without it almost instantly crashing is 2040mhz. i’m not really interested in overclocking as such though, so i’ve reset this back to default again, as i don’t think it’s worth the increase in temps (even though they’re still well within safe limits).

really can’t work out why neither me nor my friend can achieve a steady/stable undervolt though.

I also used the wayback machine to download an OLD version of afterburner, thinking that might be the problem, but even then it behaves exactly the same. which makes me think it must be the nvidia driver right?

except, there’s plenty of people using the latest driver and still undervolting without problem…if it wasn’t for my old card behaving the same way in another machine, i’d have put it down to the gigabyte card having maybe some kind of restriction in the way boost behaviour works or soemthing…but even then, why should the max voltage and clock speed be applied? You’d have thought either it would work as intended, or not at all?

all very strange. i think i’ve given up on the idea of undervolting now though. stock works fine, tmeps are great…it’s only that niggling feeling that i could be saving power/prolonging the lifespan of the card, and possibly even getting better performance because of a more consistently high clock speed…

now, the only other thing I tried which gave me somewhat better results was, instead of lowering the curve at the start, i raised the whole curve, lets say by 100Mhz, then jsut lowered everything above my desired frequency by 200mhz…it’s very similar to the normal undervolt process, except instead of everything below your desired point being either at +0 or -200 or whatever…it’s all +100. This did mean higher average clock speeds…but obviously it’s much much harder to find stability, because some points on the curve you mgiht be able to set +100 easily, but others you might only be able to raise by +15 before it crashes.

If i had the time (which you might assume i must have, given the length nof this post), I think I could get great results by boosting at 1.00 to the max I can with it still being stable, testing testing teting for hours…then go down to the next lowest voltage point (can’t remember, is it like 987mv?) do the same…hours of testing…do that all the way down to say 750mv to find the highest frequency that will work at each voltage point and I’d probably be gettign best performance possible and still limiting max voltage like in undervolting…but the problem with doing that is that it’s probably not worth it because i’m not gaining anything temperature wise anyway, and you’d probably have to repeat the whole process every time theres a new driver released.

2 Likes

Yes, this motherboard is built for extreme overclock so there are only two slots because it’s more efficient from an engineering perspective. The model is Asus ROG Maximus XII Apex.

2 Likes

The CPU is on exhaust mode at the top of the case. The cool air is being pulled from the front of the case.

1 Like

I have mine the other way round. CPU radiator mounted to the front of the case and pulling cool air from outside into the case, this makes for a cooler CPU (12900k) but a warmer GPU :frowning:

1 Like