310R Prop Performance Discussion

…can’t edit my post, due to this “slow mode” we have been prescribed here, so I add this:

Just try it.
final approach. not going full props but 2500 rpm. fully configured. Vref+20. Fully trimmed.
Decide to go around not later than 200’ above ground.
Just advancing smoothly to full MP will make your C310R burst with excess energy that you will have to counter the pitching up force with lots of down elevator, while cleaning her up for the climb.
And that’s at 2500 RPM “only”…

A post removed. I will not post this again. Be civil toward each other. Any future posts that violate the Code of Conduct on this forum and your account will be silenced without warning.

That is a bold statement. While economics play a role, they should never top safety, and luckily seldom do so, even though there is a certain trend in some parts of the aviation industry to try to do so.
Noise abatement only plays a role if there is no concern for safety.

737s will burn millions of additional pounds of fuel per year, as the outer portion of the wing is twisted for lower AOA, so that JUST IN CASE the aircraft is brought near a stall, the outer portion does not stall first.

A320s will always go Full TOGA during any Go-Around, even though maintenance hates this.

And a 310 will always go Full RPM in approach, as Go-Arounds are, together with takeoffs, keen to suddenly turning very dangerous if even one parameter changes. There is no time and no capacity for a decision which RPM setting might be appropriate for this go around, nor is there any time or capacity to calmly grab your prop lever and move it full forward, should there be the case that one of your engines fails in addition and you do need extra power.

Thinking about maintenance, economy, and comfort first can be applied to highway driving or similar, but should take no place in aviation.

1 Like

Talk is just talk. Fly the procedure I describe above and come back what you think how much MORE excess energy you really need there. The actual challenge to do this procedure safely is actually mostly in handling the excess energy, not a lack of it. @2500 rpm that is…

(all of course under the assumption that the sim C310R is close enough to the real thing)

Temporary closing topic for Community Manager review.

Leaving this topic closed as I believe both viewpoints have been shared by now and there are too many flags in this topic.

1 Like