4000 cards a dud for MSFS in VR?

Yeah, I was very dubious about that MSFS demo. If it really was a 4090 on both sides of the screen, one with DLLS3 off and one on, then the FPS of the unboosted 4090 seemed lame, as it is still a more power card…maybe it was just still CPU limited.

The promise for VR was what really got me interested though, so hopefully we will see more on that soon. Bear in mind though, if the DLSS3 pipeline can work with VR it will still have to double it’s workload compared to adding extra frames in 2D, so the FPS gain it gives may well be halved.

1 Like

If I remember well you and I have similar system (10850k, 3090) - I guess you would look to upgrade CPU mobo and memory as well?

I have Quest 2 and would also need to upgrade headset to take advantage of more power, and I’m not sure there is any ideal headset existing currently. So I hope I will wait at least 1 more generation before upgrading hardware, and as mentioned hopefully Asobo can do a couple of software tweaks with the DLSS instead of relying on brute force (yet more expensive hardware)!

1 Like

Yep, I bet they are already preparing their thumbnails with “4090!!” in red text and a nice red arrow as well (proven to drive more clicks :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xHZPH5Sng)

1 Like

Yes, same specs indeed. My plan was to wait for reviews and benchmarks this Christmas from testers/users using MSFS in VR with 13900k, 64GB DDR 5, 4090 setups and see if there is a sizeable improvement over our current rigs. Then the 4090 released with DLSS promising to solve both the GPU and CPU bottlenecks so I thought it would be the grail, just a couple thousand pounds to put one in and double my VR frame rate without needing to upgrade anything else.

Now it seems DLSS is not VR compatible I’m back to looking at probably £4500 for a whole new rig as the sim clearly needs a better CPU in VR.

Considering such a beast will probably cost me a further £1000 in electricity to run over a year at current prices, I’ve lost my enthusiasm a little bit.

I generally buy a new PC every 3 to 4 years, my current PC I got in December 2020 so ideally I’d like to get another year out of it, but I would be willing to buy a new PC early if it completely solves the VR performance issues, as MSFS is pretty much the only demanding title I play and I could keep the next PC for years and be happy with performance.

On the topic of your VR, the Reverb G2 is a substantial upgrade in MSFS over the Quest 2, although I am now itching to upgrade my G2 as well. I’ve loved it for the past 18 months but I really want a headset with a new pancake lens design and higher resolution displays, ideally OLED.

The headsets announced so far though, Pico Neo 4, Quest Pro/Cambria both sound a bit disappointing with the same 2160 x 2160 per eye resolution as my G2 and still no OLED.
Headset development has really stalled in the past couple years.

2 Likes

LOL!! Actually, out of all the computer builds I’ve done in my lifetime, the most melancholic one, was the build where I realized I really didn’t need to transplant the 3¼ drive into the new build. It was kinda sad leaving that behind.

1 Like

They are indeed controlling supply in order to manipulate demand and therefore market value/price.

They have indeed done this before with the naming of older/lower cards to newer/higher tier products to trick less-informed/more desperate customers into paying more for less without realising it.

AMD’s RDNA lineup should be excellent. Unlike Nvidia, I actually trust when they say things like “50% more efficient”, because it has been shown to be pretty much true year on year at this point. In fact, they often EXCEED what they say they will hit.

AMD’s problem is that they have an incredibly popular Ryzen lineup going now, and to make Radeon GPUs, they have to sacrifice some of their Ryzen silicon to do it.

I hope, I really, REALLY hope that this time they make lots of Radeon RDNA3 cards, because I sense they can really stick the boot into Nvidia if they do.

And I’m someone who has never bought an AMD card. Always Nvidia. Always. Things like the RTX and DLSS performance has always meant that in games that REQUIRE so much performance that my Nvidia GPU begins to find it’s max level, DLSS is appearing more and more in those titles so that I can essentially find MORE performance there, and take my 3070, which gets beat in raw power by the Radeon 6800 and above, well beyond what they can do once DLSS is factored in.

But my electricity bill has doubled this year and will rise again by another 50% it looks like, over the next 6 months or so.

I simply cannot AFFORD to buy this power-hungry Nvidia GPUs anymore. If they won’t respect power draw, then I cannot buy their products, no matter how much power DLSS3.0 will claw back for me versus AMD’s stuff.

2 Likes

That’s true, if it really does make up for CPU bottlenecks then maybe selling 24gb 3090 and buying 16gb 4080 might not be too expensive, especially if 3090 keeps some demand from professionals for its VRAM. Regardless I’ll certainly be eagerly awaiting your reports if you go down that route !

I think if I was stuck with the default oculus link I would have upgraded by now, but with adjusted gamma (virtual desktop) and colours (openxr toolkit) I suspect the quality of my Quest 2 isn’t too far from the G2, and it has no sweet spot issues, wireless and apparently better controllers (I didn’t think I cared but VTOL has become my favourite VR game!)

1 Like

The compatibility of DLSS 3 with VR (namely WMR OpenXR for my Reverb G2) is the $2200 CAD question (plus tax). I would very much like to know if it will work with MSFS in VR. I have almost decided to place a preorder, but maybe not yet, because the price is really painful, and if it’s not a game changer but a modest upgrade it’s not worth it for me… I have a Ryzen9 5900X and RTX3080, and I’m really struggling with good VR. Barely got it flying after countless duning and tweaking sessions. Motion Reprojection is a must for me. The idea of hardware-based motion reprojection is great, but only if it works in VR… I guess the preorder is off, I’ll have to wait for actual reviews and MSFS benchmarks to make a decision…

1 Like

Yeah I feel exactly the same. If DLSS works in VR, and actually helps the CPU by removing from it the need to do its own motion reprojection then even if it’s £2000 plus another £100 or so for a power supply to run it, it would still be a worthwhile upgrade as we’d be good for another couple years with our existing CPUs until the 5000 series cards come out and then can buy/build a new PC.

But if DLSS isn’t implemented in VR I don’t see how much it can help as my CPU would bottleneck the GPU anyway.

Exactly right. I’m still probably going to build a new system when Ryzen 7 series X3D comes out. But we’ll see about the 4000 series… The jury is still out…

1 Like

Well, not a dud after all. You can read my saga here.

2 Likes

I almost bought one yesterday but they were sold out every where so I preordered the Quest Pro instead!

I will likely get myself a 4090 for Christmas though!

1 Like

Not a dud at all coming from 3080 was a well worth upgrade performance wise, substantial upgrade in fact.

Now the question of was it worth the money, well for me yes it was, friend of mine has a bicycle for $10000, I have one I bough good 6 years ago for $350 put on it over 2000km this year alone… is the 10K bike worth it ? not to me it’s not.

I am more concern upgrading my cpu from 10850K@5.1GHz to 13900K… will I be able to clock it 24-7 at higher GHz like I have done to my 10850K … ? wish to find a thread on that… still not convinced looking at $2500 for this option.

All the new P and E cores… idk…

1 Like

Going from a 6800XT to a 4090 has been a game changer for me in VR. The Radeon card was great in 2d at 1440p, easily outpacing my 60Hz monitor on ultra settings. But in VR, although it was still pretty good on a mix of high, low and off settings, I could never get MR to work at all and 45FPs was tops without it, usually around mid to high 30s with OXR100% and TAA 80%, using the Toolkit FSR at 80%.

And this with a 5800x3D!

Now with Asus TUF OC 4090 I can get in excess of 70fps with the same settings, but far more importantly it comfortably locks on at 45fps in MR with Open XR and TAA 100%, using GA aircraft and the gliders I like to fly. It was so smooth and for once really sharp just using TAA.

Now with the ability to tweak without the headset playing up with the old V1 cable, I can run pretty much everything at Ultra and the card doesn’t break a sweat in VR, no stutters except some scenery loading ones. In tubeliners at say Heathrow or NY I may have to set MR to 30fps, but I rarely fly there anyway.

IN 2D the 4090 is insane on my new 43" 4K variable sync monitor with DLSS3, 175 fps on all ultra and TLODs at 400. So yeah, well worth the upgrade for me.

1 Like

I went from a 10900K to 13900K and I’m seeing about a 40% improvement in VR frame rates with the 4090. (As opposed to about 150% in pancake mode thanks to frame generation.) Well worth it.

Haven’t tried overclocking because with 70-90 fps in VR depending on where I’m flying I don’t need to. And the 13900K pushes itself farther than the 10-series cards – if you have adequate cooling, it’ll essentially go into a high-power overdrive mode.

Basically, the 13900K finally makes everything consistently smooth. And the investment was nowhere near $2500 when factoring in selling my old PC.

3 Likes

They just need to implement foveated rendering and everybody will be happy. Psvr2 will have eye tracking and foveated rendering. I hope the headset will become usable for the PC too!

1 Like

I got a 50% increase in fps with a 4090 over a 3080TI. I’ve increased the TAA alot so that i’m getting similar fps as to before but it’s sharper.

1 Like

I’m going from a 7700k to a 13900k. Did the cpu alone make a big difference?

(I’ll be sticking with my 3080ti for a minute.)

Yep, CPU made about a 40% improvement in frame rate going from a 10900K to a 13900K. So should be even better from the 7700!

2 Likes

Hi @Kjaye767 I’ve had a chance to reflect on your post having actually bought a 4090 and I must say your initial fears for the lack of uplift of a 4090 over a 3090 are unfounded. The 4090 is an absolute monster in VR. It’s incredible what this card can produce. Basically along with DLSS 2.0 it can allow me to run MSFS in Ultra settings which is quite frankly unheard of.

I’ll admit this is using OpenXR reprojection and that’s really where I see DLSS 3.0 eventually coming in to VR and replacing existing reprojection systems, but at the moment that isn’t possible. Suffice to say however that the 4090 delivers astonishing performance in VR and is quantafiable a big increase in previous generations!

2 Likes