530F by Shrike Released

What advantages/disadvantages does this have over the Cabri (my closest owned chopper)?

I’m not interested in the toy guns (I use IL2 for combat itches) and I see it’s a bit faster, but small chopper (relatively) flight experience wise what does it offer that the Cabri can’t do?

I’ve really curbed my content aquisition syndrome recently so unless something really offers a unique flight experience (not just funky looks) I’ll stick to really learning the ones I have - which is still a buttload at ~200 aircraft and plenty to keep me busy!

1 Like

Has this been submitted to the Marketplace already?

Not yet.

It’s to be noted that, unfortunately, weapons are not allowed on the marketplace…

1 Like

The Got Friends Mini 500 is a single seat, 2-bladed teetering rotor system bird. For me, it only looks similar to the H369 (by design).
I would put it in the same category as the Mosquito XET or Eagle R&D Helicycle, so it doesn’t really fit into this comparison.

it’s much more powerful and maneuverable. Think of the Cabri as a Chevrolet Cavalier, the 530F is a Corvette.

3 Likes

Took the plunge. Fun ride. Defintely sportier, with a nice lively feeling. Thanks!

Autorotations are not possible with this model, correct? In my tests, the rotor rpm never splits from the turbine rpm. If you lose engine rpm, the rotor rpm dies with it. Or am I doing something wrong?

How did you do your tests?

He’s trying it here, not sure how accurate it is:

I turned the engine completely off by going throttle idle, remove idle stop and go idle cut-off. Then the RPM of turbine and rotor die together. If you only go idle the chopper behaves as in his video. In neither situation do the RPM needles split. You should be able to do an autorotation with the engine completely off.

1 Like

It’s to be noted that this isn’t a “study level” aircraft and, as well, the sim’s turbine and heli representation(s) isn’t that great (yet)…

1 Like

Hopefully Asobo will make some improvements to helis in SU13…

Needles not splitting is a known limitation of the MSFS heli model. The only helis I know of that accurately model this are the FlyInside offerings.

2 Likes

And the HPG H145 :+1:

Both of those use an external flight profile system.

Hey all,
I am just curious how the flightmodel of this helo is compared to the 500E? For those who have both, is there a bit more weight and inertia?

Just got the 530 this morning and I’ve had the 500E since it was released. So far after one flight I would say that the 530 does feel it has a bit more weight to it but it also is a bit less sensitive than the 500E. I haven’t flown it enough to give any more in depth feedback though.

1 Like

Hi Team, Im flying the Shrike 530F, CowanSim 500E and AS350 in MSFS mostly, be keen to fly with others flying helicopters at some point. I have just purchased some Scenery from a someone in NZ who is developing areas in NZ like Fiordland, Ruahine Rangers, Kaweka Ranges and Ruatahuna Ranges, 50+ huts to land at, he is working on a bigger Fiordland area currently. Anyway these packs are a lot of fun to fly into with some tight landing spots. great fun, its good to see someone doing some great back country scenery in topgunsi.c o m/shop

I bought the 530F today and did some comparison flying with the Cowansim 500E. The 530F is definitely more stable, has more inertia and is also quite easy to trim for cruise. Compared to that, the 500E is super nervous and hard to control, even using a joystick with an extension. I have to say I prefer the sound of the 500E, espacially the blade slap.

Will have to spend some more time with the 530F, but I think for me this is currently the bird of choice when I feel the need for some 500 flying (compared to the 500E and the Mini-500).

Edit: After some more low level flying over the City Update #2 Texas photogrammetry I really, really like the 530F! Especially with the doors off :grin:

3 Likes

Agree with JasonMuc2112. The Cowansim 500E is very twitchy even with an extended cyclic stick. I just got the Shrike MD530F and it flies joyfully nicer - stable and precise, yet responsive and agile. Since I fly in VR, I will miss the immersion of having a passenger beside me on the right seat as well as behind.

This is my take on it. I really want to like the Shrike, but it feels a bit too controllable. The Cowansim 500E, really requires my attention, and that’s how I figure these things are. Small, precise corrections, constantly, and she’s a dream. The 530F just doesn’t quite have the same vibes.

What are you thoughts a month later?

1 Like

I seem to be in the minority but I prefer the Cowan. The Shrike 530 is less controllable, some will call that less twitchy, but of all the videos I’ve watched of real life 500s they really are that sensitive. I feel the interior textures, especially the panel look flatter and more “basic” than the 530. Exterior texture and modeling I’d give to Shrike despite not being able to remove the bear paws, but the sounds I would rate the Cowan higher even if they’re criminally low volume. At the end of the day though they reflect different models and I’m happy to have a 530 and 500E available to me. I do love that the Cowan has the worker platform as I’m always mesmerized by videos of MD helicopters doing power line work.

1 Like