A slider is needed control the LOD pop-ins. It's a very easy solution to implement that will make all happy

Yup. And it’s such an easy solution for Asobo to implement. I’m not sure why they didn’t implement such a slider for this Sim Update 5.

3 Likes

Asobo would have to hide these sliders from the Xbox build, otherwise it will make the console look underpowered because console players will max it out, nuke their FPS and post negative YouTube videos about it.

4 Likes

No can do. It is very basic:

MSFS is a system seller for Xbox X/S. It is about the only exclusive title they have. It absolutely can not look worse on console than on PC in every second Youtube video.

Welcome to the world of console downgrades, my friend. Happened a hundred times before, happened here.

6 Likes

It would be nice to see, but I always have to laugh when users who aren’t programmers pontificate on how easy it would supposedly be for game developers to implement this or that feature.

Not going to comment on the rest of this thread except to say this finally feels like a real PC gamer community now that we can blame every ill on consoles.

8 Likes

Except I am a software developer. Of course I am speculating, given my experience as a software developer, but given Asobo has the old code where LODs went out further and there wasn’t culling when you switched views, the minimum Asobo could do is just have an on/off toggle where either the old code that doesn’t cull is used or the new code that culls is used.

The slider could start as an on/off as a quick fix, and it could be enhanced to a more sophisticated slider as Asobo has more time to address this problem.

1 Like

There is a wishlist thread for this:

2 Likes

Exactly. I don’t think it’s very hard for Asobo to implement.

The unwritten rule will be to not allow anything that will make the console version look bad.

2 Likes

The only graphics setting available in the Xbox is HDR10, that won’t be a problem.

Asobo have said repeatedly in their Q&A sessions that these optimisations will allow PC users to go beyond the current Ultra settings.

Yes, we don’t really know if it’s possible to add a slider and whether it would be easy, but that’s why we need to ask. If it’s something they have to investigate, we should let them know we want it as soon as possible. The amount of users who seem to be upset by these changes does not appear to be small enough to be safely ignored.

1 Like

Well, I do not need a slider for that. It will not make “All” happy either.
It may be something that YOU want and that is ok with me but not ALL of us want it.

^^^^
This right here. Anyone who thinks this whole exercise isn’t to showcase that Xbox isn’t inferior to PC is fooling themselves.

2 Likes

It’s rather amusing as a long time PC gamer to see how insular the world of flight simulation is, and now suddenly as soon as there’s a console version of the game and some people have issues everyone makes console the scapegoat in the “finest” PC gamer tradition.

The truth is that nobody who isn’t a braindead fanboy thinks consoles can keep up with high end PC’s graphically, and they don’t care. Developers who make games for consoles first might do a “lazy port” to PC where they don’t take advantage of the extra visual fidelity PC’s can bring, that happens for sure. But nobody is going to put effort into intentionally making a PC game look worse to pretend consoles are equal. For their part, most console players don’t care. They aren’t playing the console version of a game because they think they’re going to get the most eye candy. Generally they pick the console version because it’s what they’re used to and they think PC gaming is too expensive or complicated.

Is it possible Asobo was heavy handed in some tweaks in this update designed to help performance on console that weren’t needed for PC? Sure. But this idea that they’re downgrading the PC version on purpose so it doesn’t “show up” the Xbox is a silly conspiracy theory. The sim is already head and shoulders above anything else on console graphically, and there’s also literally 0 other “serious” flight sims on console for them to compete with. Plus if a console player looks at the PC version and thinks it’s better and gets a gaming PC and buys the PC version that still money Microsoft is making just the same. They have zero reason hold the PC back graphically for marketing purposes the way some suppose.

This entire PC vs Xbox rivalry some here are obsessed with really doesn’t exist in Microsoft’s thinking. After all PC means Windows so Microsoft has more reason than anybody to want the PC market to stay strong. Plus they’ve been releasing all of their “exclusive” first-party games on both Xbox and PC for several years now - if they wanted to push Xbox at the expense of PC they wouldn’t do that. It’s just that since this is the first installment of the FS franchise to hit consoles people are thinking illogically and not looking at the big picture.

Don’t know why it makes some people feel better somehow to think a wrong has been done to them on purpose but I see this type of conspiratorial thinking in so many places. I guess it’s comforting for some to think there’s a reason for what they’re upset about besides random accident.

4 Likes

A slider will allow you to continue enjoying the performance the boost as it is now, while those who do not like the culling can disable it and be satisfied.

If you are against a slider because you don’t need it then there’s no need to post. We are not going into every thread we don’t care about to say “I don’t need this feature”.

2 Likes

There are a few threads to VOTE on this – I highly encourage/plead everyone to vote on this topic if it’s important to you.

2 Likes

Well, it’s like saying 50 people need a slider and 500 do not, so someone, would like the 500 to not post their desires but the 50 should post.… It is like “Re-Districting” to skew the results.

Nobody is attempting to skew the results. If you’d like to see something implemented, you vote for it. If not, then you don’t vote for it. The result is what you see in the forums and the Feedback Snapshot right now, if lots of people want a new feature it’s at the top of the list, if not many do so, then it stays at the bottom. If only 50 people wanted a slider, you can bet that Asobo would never see this request.

I seriously doubt that you are visiting every single feature request you don’t care about in the forums to say “I don’t want this feature”, which suggests that you have something against the culling slider even though it wouldn’t affect your experience in any way. Not everyone uses the simulator in the same way, so please try to be respectful when it comes to others’ wishes that wouldn’t be a detriment to yours.

3 Likes

Is there a thread where we Can vote for better visuals to come back?

1 Like

Here’s a wish I made for a slider, which could allow anyone to reduce or disable the pop-in.

1 Like

Got my vote, please vote if you are an a High end pc👍

1 Like

Meh, I disagree with that. If MSFS is a 10 year project and we have already past the 1st year of MSFS, the technology between PCs 9 years from now will be way more advanced than the current XBox X.

And remember that X-Box players are more casual flight simmers (the hard core flight simmers have already purchased MSFS for PC). Most X-Box players will likely get bored of MSFS within a month, nevermind a year out. What about 3 years from now? Unless there is a really interesting add-on to pull X-Box players back to MSFS, 3 years from now, Microsoft will depend on the “hard core” flight simmers to purchase products in the MSFS marketplace. When PMDG releases their 747 and it ends up in the MSFS marketplace, it won’t be X-Box players purchasing the PMDG 747.

For that reason, I don’t think Asobo will permanently keep the PC version the same as X-Box. Because Microsoft/Asobo knows in the long run, revenue for MSFS will come from the PC players and not X-Box players (because like I said, most X-Box players will get bored of MSFS within 1 month), it doesn’t make sense to ignore the PC players.