A320 flex to temp

That’s what I use and yes it only returns 43.

Insanely useful for the v speeds though. Especially for flaps 2 take offs on short strips.

Please keep in mind that the Fenix is an A320CEO, ours is a NEO. Different engines, different flx. That’s the reason we don’t provide a calculator yet. With the CEO you can find pretty decent data on flx temps. With the NEO you can’t.

57 degrees.

By far and away the best (and easiest to use) tool out there. Wholeheartedly recommend it, just make sure you put your weight in in kilos, 68000 instead of 68.0 and you’ll be sorted. Nothing else out there touches it, and it’s free.

1 Like

Just to help in case you weren’t sure…

1. In the top drop down menu select the A320N. I think it’s listed as ‘beta’

2. In the ICAO field goes the 4 letter code of your departure airfield eg EGCC. Once you do this it will pre-populate all the airfield info and weather for you.

3. Takeoff weight as described above.

4. Engine Anti-Ice on if the OAT is less than 10 degrees and there is visible moisture. Make sure you set it on on the aircraft too!

5. Select the runway in use and state (wet / dry) then hit calculate.

That’s all there is to it, it takes seconds and works perfectly every time. I’ve had it spit out the full range of Flex temps from large to small de-rates, and TOGA full power takeoffs.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help everyone, as mentioned im on Xbox here, so default a320 only for me, I still don’t know why im getting overspeed just after takeoff, im at like 700ft and then im into the red tape and overspeed warnings, if I raise flaps it’s fine, but I’ve never needed to raise flaps that low before and I’ve not even reached S speed I don’t think.

Do you have any sort of Windows based device/laptop?

You can still use that tool if that’s the case as it runs standalone.

1 Like

I will try tomorrow, think I can get it running on my Mac hopefully.

Got any ideas on the overspeed warning?

I barely at 200knots at about 700ft and I’m overspeeding.

Perhaps the weight of aircraft is causing it?

I’m just using the default values from setting up in world map.

I’m not sure as that’s not something I’ve seen with the A320NX but it sounds odd. Have a try with that calculator and see if it spits out anything a bit more sensible.

Hopefully that will solve your issue :+1:t2:

1 Like

It depends. What’s your rate of climb? Too low and the A320 will continue to accelerate. That’s to be expected

Too bad the numbers you get from it are not even close to being realistic.

I always just use 69 as my FLEX TEMP on all my flights… it’s a nice number…

1 Like

“barely” as in just over? Even at Flaps 1+F the speed limitation is 215 kts, at Flaps 3 it is 185 kts (these are CEO numbers, don’t recall if the NEO numbers are the same). So if you are pushing 200 kts and don’t have the flaps up yet, depending on configuration you would be overspeeding. That would not be due to anything wrong with your FMGC programming, just neglecting to retract flaps before accelerating.

1 Like

I’ve never flown an Airbus but did fly the 737 for 12 years before moving onto something bigger.

I’d have said the numbers are pretty comparable to be honest. The aircraft certainly handles as I would expect with the output plugged in to the FMS.

Why do you say they’re not realistic? Are you an Airbus pilot?

No, I am not an Airbus pilot. I am an engineer who understands takeoff performance very well and have access to enough A320neo data to know that this is not a calculator I would ever consider using. As an example, first read what Flex thrust is and understand what Flex temps would be valid for the A320neo with Leap 1A-26 engines here FBW A32NX Autothrust/Levers - #32 by AwarePlot117729.

Then use this calculator for determining takeoff performance for an A320-251N from KSEA 16L, Conf 1+F, no bleeds, FWD CG, dry, no wind, 29.92 in Hg (1013.25 hpa), 15 C temp. This calculator returns a Flex temp of 25 C, which is not a valid Flex temp for the Leap 1A-26 engines nor for any engine I know of for any jet transport. Also, having a VR to V2 split of 111 knots to 143 knots is ludicrous for this takeoff. Step up the weight in 1000 kg increments and watch the Flex temp first go up, then back down. At 64 T, it tells you that TOGA is needed, when in reality you would still be able to use a Flex temp of nearly 70 C.

Can I ask what type of engineer?

25 degrees is a de-rated temperature that I have used for real in the widebody that I fly for a living :man_shrugging:t3:

ps I know exactly what a FLEX temp is and what it does. Why would you be using no bleeds? I don’t know about the Airbus, but on Boeings a bleeds off take-off is done only for performance reasons, so by definition you would be using rated thrust and would ignore any derate. Modern onboard performance tools wouldn’t even give you derate in this scenario.

pps The 320N is beta as I said. Try using the standard 320 figures, you might find them more to your liking.

Will try again today try to see what i’m doing wrong.

Perhaps I will try adding some more weight to the aircraft, in the customisation settings the default values are quite low I think, at something like 35%, not sure what that is in real terms, need to look again.

Ok, so just as a test I will try this and see if I get overspeed warnings again after takeoff.

What aircraft weight do you normally set, or do you leave at default values?

Not looked at any of these calculators since I have very little interest in flying the 320 in a sim, I’m more of a spitfire and bae hawk man :rofl:, but just for info to add to your conversation - typically TREF in a 320 NEO (and actually 320 CEO in fact) would be ISA +29 so eg at sea level you’d never see less than 15 + 29 = 44… theoretically you’d have to be taking off at about 10,000ft to be able to hit 25.

321 NEO TREF however is significantly lower at ISA + 15 so would see values such as 25 or below being attainable if you are more than 2,500ft above sea level… so 25 is certainly not impossible for LEAP 1A on a 321, just not the type fitted to a 320 NEO. (Typically 26 vs 33 iirc)

Well, depending on the route, I guess. But payload-wise is always the same. Full 150 passengers all the time with the exact same baggage weight. But fuel weight will depend on the route and the flight duration and distance. So the total weight is always relative, but I always keep using FLEX TEMP 69.

I never had any overspeed warning after takeoff. Here’s an example of my typical takeoff, taken a few days ago.

1 Like