Addon developer liability

I just hope that Microsoft and the various companies that work with them on MS2020 get the idea that there are a lot of upset purchasers out there and it is “not good for business” to have a lot of vocal people bemoaning the problems not only here but on other forums.

I have a couple of interns and they know how much I like MS2020 but question why everytime a new update comes out I have to spend my time getting the sim to work again. To them, most of whom are “gamers” it does not make sense. FWIW

1 Like

the key words there are " misbehaving add-ons "

the problem here is your looking at this backwards, ms could care less about the the game messing up your ‘mods’ - the Issue here is the Mods are messing up the Game

its not the mod or the game that they really worry about but the INSTALL PROCESS that a mod can bork
this is why your supposed to Remove the mods BEFORE you Update, not AFTER if you happen to have an issue, by then it may be too late
tho its still worth the try since Many mods are missing components or have some wrong code or w/e that can cause problems even after the install

but we have degraded into just ■■■■■■■■ about stuff, this is not really about ‘liabiliuty’ or even mod compatibility any more its become just about ‘blaming someone else’
(which seems to have become very common with new devs & modders lately)

its YOUR Responsibility if You Add OPTIONAL 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE to a game and this OPTIONAL 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE causes an issue, this is Not something for ms/asobo to fix - its up to Us or the 3rd party Software devs WE DECIDE to USE to correct

to be clear, i believe they (ms/asobo) would likely Remove &/or Restrict the ability to use Any OPTIONAL 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE Long Before they would agree to become Responsible for it in ANY Way

the game handles mods just fine, there is another thread talking about how people use HUNDREDS (in the max range of 800+) at a time, its the ONE MOD that causes us trouble and thats up to US to find and fix

Moved to #third-party-addon-discussion:tools-utilities

We can see folks feel very strongly about this topic, however, we urge everyone to stay focused and ensure your posts are respectful, relevant, constructive. We’re starting to see it slide the other way.

Asobo endorses and even advertises Marketplace purchases because they get a cut. So not sure about my responsibility there. My guess is there is some kind of mutual agreement going on. 3rd party devs promise to support their product for x amount of time and Asobo on the other hand give technical insight into what changed in the new build of FS.

I thought Microsoft didn’t take a cut from marketplace sales, how much do they take?

you mean if the developers of an add-on get more money, they support here product longer ? I think this have nothing to do with that. There are also expensive add-ons with bad long-time support. For me its important that user use the “rating function” so that consumer can see “the black sheeps”. There are also other source of informations. How much money who get is only relevant if the developers are not fair paid, but thats not the ( and so far I know currently not “a” ) topic.

A valid point but it didn’t answer my question.

Does Microsoft take a cut of each sale in the marketplace?

i believe they do get a commision, i could not guess how much but i remember them saying the revenue from the Marketplace would be used to help pay for servers

that still doesnt some how make them responsible for 3rd party products, these products are sold in Steam,(steam gets the ‘cut’ in this case) on flightsim.to or on many other websites as well as in the marketplace for pc users
think of NAPA auto parts, they sell other peoples product as well as their own, they warranty their own products themselves but you have to go to the product manufacturer of the other parts for any warranty

tbh my understanding was the marketplace was just a way for them to ‘safely’ allow 3rd party stuff into the closed xbox system

1 Like

The typical cut stores take is 30%. I don’t know what the MSFS Marketplace cut is, but I would expect it to be the same as any other similar game / addon platform.

1 Like

Kind of agree…but consumer power is also strong and dont underestimate it. I wont buy from anybody again, if I feel I haven’t got my moneys worth. I will also give my honest opinion of a product…good or bad.
So long story short - dont under estimate the power of the consumer wallet and voice as a “right”.

There is a big difference between a right, which you can legally enforce and what you are talking about.
Sure the consumer does have the power of the wallet. And if a service provider is not meeting expectations and there are other options he may loose customers and in consequence income.
But that still is no right and no matter how you rephrase that is going to change that fact.