Advice for an optimal PC build

I don’t have any experience with the RTX 4070 or 4070ti, but the rest looks good. Also agree with two SSDs, one for OS & one for MSFS.

I’d also suggest that your components are on the “supported” list for whatever motherboard you choose to purchase. It is highly unlikely that the CPU & GPU would not be, but the memory might not be. Being on the motherboard manufacturers support list brings, if nothing else, peace-of-mind.

Also, how many memory slots will there be on the motherboard? If possible, go for 2x16 GB modules rather than a single 32 GB module, especially if there are 4 memory slots. I’ll not go into details of why this is the case, as it is rather off-topic, but you can browse the web if you want to know why.

I was going for 2 times 16gb on 4 memory slots motherboard. Want the possibility to upgrade to 64 if needed without losing the one I already have

1 Like

Cool. The motherboard manual will state which are the primary & secondary slots that provide best performance.

1 Like

If you want to save a bit of money, look at the 13700k. There’s not much performance difference between the two on paper (just 200 MHz on the performance cores), and benchmarks are showing them almost equal in many games. Even in games where the 14700k is a clear winner, ask yourself if the extra $40-50 is worth it for an extra 20 fps or whatever when already getting over 150 fps. I don’t have any sim specific results handy, so this is an area you would want to research more if looking to save cash. I wouldn’t be surprised if the results are negligible for the sim.

You didn’t mention if the ram was DDR4 or 5. Intel 13th and 14th can run either, but only on a compatible motherboard. DDR5 and compatible mobo are going to increase the price, but you’ll be able to carry the DDR5 onto later builds. It’s doubtful to me future CPU’s will maintain DDR4 compatibility, but that’s speculation.

If your future upgradeability is important, don’t forget AMD tends to maintain a single socket for many generations, whereas Intel often changes more often. If you are going DDR5 memory, the argument is even stronger because the 7800x3d is about the same price as the 14700K. Being able to drop in a new CPU or replacing the mobo, CPU and ram (if going with DDR4 on Intel) when time to upgrade in the future is a decision you need to consider now. If you don’t expect to upgrade the CPU for 4 years or more, this isn’t as much of a concern because a lot of people would make a major/full system upgrade at that point anyway, making this a moot point.

Also, it’s generally not advised to run 4 sticks of ram unless you have more need for capacity over speed. Yes you could do it, but it puts more stress on the memory controller, leading to slower performance despite increased capacity. If you can’t afford 64 GB now as 32x2, then I would get the 32 GB now, but replace it with a 32x2 pair when the time comes. You can sell the existing pair to recoup some of that cost. It’s also not recommended to mix ram sets. If you just really want to occupy all 4 slots, you should buy a matched x4 set, not two x2 sets, especially if going DDR5 due to it being more sensitive.

1 Like

Right now both 13th and 14th are mostly the same price. For a build of that price, I will not try to save 50$ or 100$ here and there as I prefer better than cheap. All is a matter of choice indeed, but as I am not a PC Upgrade enthrusiast, I prefer to go directly for something better.

Same for the ram, when I will buy the build (I choose the parts and they build it for me no cost) I’ll probably make a choice between 32 or 64. Much will depends on MSFS 2024 technical needs.

And for the CPU, I had bad experience in the past with Ryzen on the long run, but never with intel i7. True that the sockets change more with Intel, but hard to come back after a bad experience. I had a 2000$ build not even for gaming. (Mostly photoshop, Illustrator etc) And after 4 years I wasnt even able to make my updates because of the CPU not being supported anymore. So, I prefer to keep on with Intel and put a few extra bucks. But I am happy with the price of the build they suggested me. And if neede by then, I could even maybe put a few hundred more if I think that it worth it.

Sometimes, trying to go cheaper is ending being more expensive on the long run.

At least now I know where to start. I was already quite sure about an i7 or i9 but the graphic card, ram and SSD capacity was still hard for me to figure out. But I think this build would be a minimum for me, I might go for more when I’ll get it.

I think you may be confusing my attempt at making a value argument for an argument of cheaping out. Take a look at this head to head video of the 13700k vs 14700k.

Are the results worth it for you? For me they wouldn’t be at a few fps difference. Yes the 14th gen is technically better, but it’s not practically better in the sim. That savings may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but it can be meaningful. I.e. It could be put to better use by getting a better case or cooler to keep temps down and maintain higher boost clocks, or better performing memory.

Yes, cheaping can be more expensive in the long run, but not here. We are comparing two virtually identical CPU’s from the same company, running the same architecture, same socket, same wattage, etc. This isn’t comparing Intel to some dirt cheap bottom of the barrel company.

I get the desire to want the best, but the 14700k is objectively wasting money over the 13700k here unless you can get it close to the 13700k price point.

1 Like

In fact my local store, for an unknown reason, get the 14th a few buck cheaper than the 13th, go figures

This isn’t technically correct. DDR5 can significantly improve the 1% lows in CPU-bound games, like MSFS. In 2024, there’s absolutely no reason not to get DDR5 when DDR5 is cheap.

LGA 1851 will be DDR5 only and AM5 is obviously DDR5 only, so there’s no more life for DDR4.

I agree, but I would further suggest a 2x24 or 2x48 GB kit instead. The Hynix 3GB M-Die are much easier to stabilize than the 2 GB Hynix A- and M-Die found in the 16/32 GB kits.

Now that does change things. Lol.

Of course ddr5 is better than ddr4

And of course pci gen 4 is better than gen 3

But we are talking msfs, not a shooting game

msfs cpu bound? in vr i respectfully do NOT agree

my 13600k non overclocked but undervolted at ultra and insane tlod is not stressed vs my 4090 while my 4090 is screaming…

non vr or 1440p? you do not need a 4090 for that… upper 30 series o 4070.

60-90 fps with subpar clarity, yes may be cpu bound there. I prefer insane clarity at 45fps target

Would i get a slightly better performance with pci 4 and ddr5, OF COURSE, but VERY minimal for msfs

If i were building TODAY, mobo pci4 and ddr5, for sure, but my point is cpu mobo memory is not the limiting factor for msfs in vr. Gpu is

3 Likes

I am running the sim on a ryzen7 3600 with 32 gb ram @3200, a rtx4070 and a samsung m.2 ssd.
I ran it until last week with 16 gb ram and a rtx2070s.
I use the hp reverb g2 an the complete set of honeycomb controllers.
Both systems are absolutely capable of bringing you a nice vr experience but the 4070 makes it a lot easier to find nice graphics settigs. With the 4070 i do not need dlss, i switched to taa which results in sharp and clear view compared to the 2070s using dlss by means of framerate. I don’t measure the framerate. I just fly and decide if i like it or not.
You do not need a 4090 to be satisfied in vr. (Except you are only satisfiet when ‘maxed out’ which is not necessary)
There are a lot of settings that in deed affect performance but not really the visual impression. And you will not be counting texture details when flying a h135 at 150 mph between skyscrapers, i promise.
So having 2000$ to spend will be perfectly enough for the pc. But controllers are as important as the pc itself is. I used the logitec yoke, throttle and pedals. (former saitek ones) Its crap. Except the pedals, these are quite ok. not good but ok.
Plan to spend a bunch of dollars more for good controllers, especially when flying vr.
Best whishes!

1 Like