Advice on Pimax Crystal Please

After seeing several YouTube videos I have decided not to go for the Pimax Crystal. One video compares the Crystal with the Quest 3. Positives, the Crystal has a much sharper image (higher res), and the black levels look black, and the FOV is wider. Negatives, big and bulky, loads of cable connections, complex setup and software, bad mono passthrough, no stand alone use, PC games & sims only. Very poor quality controllers (not needed for FSVR). For £1,100 more than the Quest 3, is it worth it? In my view NO. The Chinese are very clever, but Pimax and Pico need to get together to produce a good quality lightweight VR headset for less than £1000, that would seriously compete with Meta. I believe they will do it, but not this year. I will stay with this thread and I will post some FSVR screenshots from my Pico 4.

Here are a few Pico 4 screenshots. They have NOT been edited or sharpened. As you can see, the cockpit instruments are clear, so is the scenery.

If the screenshots are not made through the lens, they will not tell a story about the headset optical quality.

1 Like

I know the screenshots are not behind the lenses, but I say this, what I see with my eyes behind the lenses is very close to what you see in the screenshots, all instruments in the cockpit are clear, plenty of contrast and brightness. The Pico 4 is a very good lightweight and comfortable VR headset and compares to the Quest 3. And I HAVE compared, when a friend came round with his Quest 3. I don’t play FSVR enough to make it worth buying a £1,600 Pimax Crystal. I will wait and see what happens with VR later this year and for 2025. Thanks for all the comments.

Shopping VR headsets is tough. So many factors depend on individual facial and head structures. Then you either have to rely on second hand accounts or have a good understanding of the optics and technology involved.

When I tried the Quest it was like taking a hammer to the forehead. Thankfully not everyone has that issue. I hope for it’s success as it’s the only hope we have MS will put half an effort into VR.

I will say the Pimax Crystal is capable of 2D monitor level clarity with some unavoidable lens distortions thrown in. It resolves details finer than what it can show through minimal chromatic aberrations. This is apparently with very small text, such as sitting all the way back and reading G1000 buttons.

I think a headset that has minimal lense issues would probably costs at least an additional $K or two more, would be forward heavy, and have limited FOV.