Aeronca Champ Poll

I loved the Bellanaca Citabria/Decathlon/Scout package by RealAir Simulations back in the day. I would love to have a similar bird in MSFS.

3 Likes

another developer to try might be Bill Ortiz of Lionheart Creations
He made outstanding Piper Pacer and Fairchild 24 collections for FSX - the Aeronca Champ and Decathlon are in the same relative category.
It all comes down to resource materials and probably access to a real example here and there though too.
Fairchild 24 Series (lionheartsimulations.com)

I owned both of those - along with many other Lionheart products and he can absolutely get it done right

2 Likes

I’d love to see the Decathlon

4 Likes

If and when I do find a willing developer, there are hundreds of views from all angles, 3-view drawings, plans, images of instrument panels, data sheets, etc. on Google Images. It’s probably one of the most well documented planes around! In that I have time flying them, I could beta test the handling. The Continental A-65 engines is one of the most ubiquitous engines ever. There are all kinds of “handling” videos on YouTube. A developer would not have any trouble getting guidance resources.

Crew: 1, pilot
Capacity: 1 passenger
Length: 21 ft 6 in
Wingspan: 35 ft 2 in
Height: 7 ft
Wing area: 170 ft²
Empty weight: 740 lb
Max takeoff weight: 1,220 lb
Powerplant: 1 × Continental
A65-8 piston engine, 65 hp

Performance
Maximum speed: 100 mph
Cruise speed: 85 mph
Stall speed: 38 mph
Range: 460 miles
Service ceiling: 12,400 ft
Rate of climb: 370 ft/min
Fuel burn rate: 4.0-4.5 gph

AeroncaChamp InstPnl

AeroncaChamp 3-view

Aeronca-7AC-Champ 3-view A
Aeronca-7AC-Champ 3-view B

2 Likes

Pursuant to this project, it would sweeten the enticement of a developer if there was a current full-scale Champ pilot who could beta-test the flight characteristics for the developer. A person like this recently provided feedback on the CAS J3 Cub. They compared the MSFS version to the real version (which was accurate, except for the rudder control issue under certain takeoff and landing situations which the developer is aware of). Such a person would need to have the following:
.1. Recent experience flying a real Champ (mine is 50 years old)
.2. Access to and experience using MSFS.

These requirements make finding such a person slim indeed. But on the outside chance that such a person exists in this forum, I am requesting that if you know of such a person you let me know so that I can contact them.

Thanks!

1 Like

This is what I hope to do in MSFS someday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UpRMYjvDwQ

Note how easily she gets in and out of the Champ. I once took a ride in an L4 (J3) and it took me 5 minutes to contortion myself into the front seat!

1 Like

I’ve had no success trying to ferret out 3rd party MSFS aircraft developers located in North America. I want to contact them regarding development of a classic SEL aircraft that doesn’t currently exist in MSFS. Developers outside this area don’t seem interested because the plane in question mostly existed only in North America and they are not familiar with it. Is there a list somewhere that I’ve overlooked that provides 3rd party MSFS developers, and where they are located?

Thanks!

==================================

Unfortunately the moderator moved this post here, which is inappropriate for this thread. I’ve already tried the developers suggested in this thread without success. No European developer is interested, which is why I’m trying to find a US based developer who knows about the Champ. Moving the post here severely limits the audience.

1 Like

I like these older, small planes, so I would throw my hat into the ring to develop it but with a condition that I can get a good 3D model to work with. I can do the flight model, animations and all the coding fairly quickly, but 3D modeling and texturing take an immense amount of effort which limits how many projects I can take on.

So if it could be a collaborative effort, I would not hesitate to join. But I deal only in freeware. I’m not interested in creating a business entity and applying for the Marketplace, so if that is a necessity, someone else would need to head that effort.

Like I said with the Cessna 206, if nobody else announces they are making it by the time I am ready to start a new project, I would be willing to give it a go.

4 Likes

I saw your post a couple of weeks ago and yes, I’m working on a Champ. It’s not a 7 series, but I announced today I am doing the American Champion (8KCAB) Super Decathlon. Hope this finds you well! Maybe one day I’ll go a step back and get to a variant (7 series) or two(Scout) :wink:

8 Likes

You legend!

1 Like

Well my offer still stands with Hanger Studios 713 although I know he is very capable of creating amazing aircraft. :star_struck:

3 Likes

I can shoot you an exterior model of the 8KCAB if you want, so you have something to go off of. Very similar planes. I’ll send it your way once I finish it up this weekend. Just a heads up though, one day I do plan to do a scout version —> https://youtu.be/k5-0drs2LD0?si=1glrIxOMdD7OsDO3

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Good on you for seizing the opportunity! This is such a wholesome aspect of these forums.

1 Like

Fantastic! I will be sending you a PM regarding a bunch of resources for the Champ.

If it’s anything like your Cessna T206H it will be very well received!

Thank you so much!

:grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for linking to this video. I learned a lot from it. Great to see where the 7 series ended up, and the inherent potential of the original 7AC. Your Decathlon will be well received I’m sure!

Perhaps you can clear something up for me. According to this the Champ/Citabria/Decathlon all had the same airfoil. But according to another source the Decathlon had a semi-symmetrical aerobatic airfoil.

I look forward to your efforts. I always wanted to fly the “next gen” Champ but the opportunity never came up. Thanks to MSFS and you now I will be able to! :o)

2 Likes

Thanks, I hope its a big hit too!
Here is a great article explaining all that and then some…

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/aircraftreviews/decathlon-and-citabria/

1 Like

Thanks! Excellent article! Seems like the Citabria was kind of a “bridge” plane between the Champ and the Decathlon (although excellent in it’s own right).

1 Like

Evolution is more the term I would use, not to say that wood is not better than metal. Especially when it comes to flex. Back when I was getting my PPL my FBO had a Citabria for spin training and I fell in love then. So this plane will have a bit of nostalgia for me as well. I called the FBO a few months back and sadly they no longer have it or I would have went that route instead. Another great source for the 8KCAB for me is this website/link - Just about everything I needed to fill in the blanks. Enjoy!

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1001331/Bellanca-Decathlon-8kcab.html?page=30#manual

1 Like

Per guidelines, duplicate topics are closed, however, I decided to merge instead of closing.

It actually doesn’t. It’s in the same category and all new topics and posts get pushed up in topic feeds.

Looks like you are getting some good responses. :+1:

You got me hooked on that Aviation Consumer website. There are
several nice articles about the Champ there
. I liked the one comparing Champ to Cub. Similar video.

1 Like