After 15hr tinker my lowly GTX 1080 and HP Reverb performs and looks OK (now) - settings

GTX 1080 / 8600K @ 4.8 ( 64GB RAM ) supposedly this should be underwhelming when reading performance reports. Bought MSFS just day ago with VR release, started up, boy-oh-boy that was horrible, stutters, crashes, washed out.

So, after analysing performance tutorial I put EVERYTHING on OFF or Low, But for

• Render scaling 90
  • Antialiasing TAA
  • Terrain vector data ULTRA
  • Texture resolution ULTRA

Installed OpenXR developer tools,

• Custom render scale 50% (!)
  • Motion Reprojection DISABLED

The trick seems to be, that this ‘obsolete’ (wth) GTX 1080 when testing with all ‘medium’ or ‘low’ settings looks either washed out, or, has HORRIBLE performance when you set random parameters to high(er).

With all OFF, or Lowest, MSFS looks like soup, but, when only Textures ULTRA and Texture resolution ULTRA, all the soup disappears and looks good and sharp, despite Terrain level of detail 10/100, and the GTX 1080 can keep up (with these low render scalings), no lags, no stutters, and looks great (the tutorial links shows the differences, which are completely mitigated within the HP Reverb goggles on).

(I have no idea why this - in particular OpenXR 50% - even works)

2cts.

2 Likes

I’d be curious what you’d get out the 1080 and the G2 with this:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I know it’s a 1080, but it is 3 generations old at this point, not the Ti model, and FS2020 doesn’t really run great on anything compared to something like DOOM Eternal, which’ll practically run on a Tamagotchi.

For anyone outside of 3080/6800XT owners, this is a 30-40fps game.

I’ve got a 1080 too, but with the og Vive. I’ll be curious to try your settings as they go the opposite to some of what I’ve seen in terms of ingame settings, in particular the vector data on ultra, and then the terrain levels at 10% only - I thought that reducing this to 10% would completely mess the view for distant land but I guess I need to try it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.