Am I the only one that likes the camera systems

Camera system is ok. Not perfect though.

I like using custom views inside cockpit, arranging those to form a matrix that covers all angles and navigating between those using POV hat. I find it much more comfortable than using TrackIR. I use similar system in Xplane as well. I loved the addition of similar custom view options along the development. Only problem is being limited to 10. Ideally, I use 1 default, 3 45 degrees to each side, 3 higher vantage for taxi and landing, 2 overhead, 4 for scanning MIP, Pedestal, annunciators, and close up FMC; and I assign rest to wing views. Increasing number of custom view slots to 20 would be a great tweak, giving more options.

I like the drone camera, especially for scouting around in free flight. But it is hard to control without a console controller. It would be great to be able to control the pitch and yaw with mouse; and 3 movement axis with keyboard. Would also be nice to have a modifier key to accelerate the speed without going into camera menu. It probably is possible to do those with manipulating the sim datarefs with external scripts, but still would be nice to have those changes for people who wanna stick to in game control binding.

External camera is fine. Only addition in the name of flexibility mighy be to add controls to move the camera in and out.

I prefer starting my flights from the tarmac and not always inside the cockpit .

For those of you who are familiar with it, I use EZDOK with P3Dv4.5. I really like the versatility that EZDOK provides in setting up cameras both inside and outside. I especially like the immersion of setting up custom camera views that simulate the following:

1. walk from the tarmac to the aircraft,
  2. line up with the air stairs,
  3. walk up the air stairs and open the cabin door,
  4. step inside, turn around and close the cabin door,
  5. turn again and lineup with the flight deck door,
  6. simulate opening the flight deck door,
  7. step inside, turn around to simulate closing the flight deck door, and finally
  8. simulate struggling to get into the captains seat.

By reversing some of these views and adding others, I can simulate leaving the plane after shutdown. I have a video on my channel where I do the whole routine. It just adds to the immersion.

So, I tried to do a walk-on with MSFS2020 default camera schema. Itā€™s partially doable (similar to EZDOK), but movements are not as smooth (fluid) as EZDOK because of two reasons (at least to my knowledge):

1. only external cameras have a setting for ā€˜translate speedā€™ and
  2. only internal cameras allow the preset of custom camera views.
    If Iā€™m missing something let me know. If not, it would be great this capability could be added for default cameras.

Iā€™ve tried to do the same thing with the default camera setup available in MSFS2020. Presently, the POV cameras move too fast. The change in the FREELOOK POV are quick jerky movements. Is there any way to slow down these cameras?

please give us chaseplane, default camera is good but chaseplane is perfect

2 Likes

During release, I was really frustrated with the camera system. Iā€™ve mentioned it somewhere in the forum- likely in the ā€œanyone else disappointedā€ thread.

I gotta say- now that Iā€™m used to it, I think its brilliant! I can go from cockpit to external to showcase (drone) effortlessly. There are even tricks on how to create custom wing views etc. Also you can map the hat switch of your joystick with multiple assignments so you can pan around in the cockpit AND outside views.

It was cumbersome at first, but once you figure it out, Iā€™m telling you guys its great! Just a bit of a learning curve is all.

Now for the rest of the issues- no choice but to wait for the patches and optimizations. No sense of complaining about all the issues and shortfalls- this wonā€™t change anything. I could create an entire list of issues, but that is for another thread.

The only minor issue I have, and this could be down to me, is that in the external freelook mode where you can circle around the aircraft, by default the aircraft is positioned in the lower third of the screen rather than centrally. So if you zoom in to try and fill the screen with the aircraft the bottom part of it disappears off screen.

Iā€™ve yet to find a way to get around this or change itšŸ¤”

Have you used Chaseplane before? Nothing compares. Its effortless, intuitive and zero learning curve. I really want to use MFS2020 but there is no way I can without Chaseplane.

Itā€™s pretty good but could be better with some QoL updates

• fly by view
  • custom view with key binding
  • interior move around

With what are you comparing it?

X-Plane? DCS?