AMD 7900 XT, Rift S vs Reverb G2, AMD Preview Drivers

I got the 7900 XT and was disappointed with the VR performance in my G2. I was going to return the 7900xt but I still have my Rift S, and thought I’d give it a shot. Glad I did. Of course this is not in any way a valid test as I can only simulate the resolution. In the quick test I did, I set the Rift S to 200% resolution and the G2 to 100%, so about 3000x3000 give or take for each. If I set the Rift S down at 1.5x I can get a locked 80FPS and it’s super smooth… I really hope AMD gets the drivers for WMR fixed up soon!

1 Like

This confuses me. I have a 6900xt (and a G2) and I get better than you’re showing. The 7900xt surely performs even better than my setup (CPU is 5800x). Are you running the game through Steam? I get problems in Steam but using WMR’s OpenXR the results are great.

Note that I run in DX12, OpenXR at 100% and using FSR Quality and in tougher scenarios when some stutters creep in I’ll move it down to balanced. My fps stays over 40 without stutters. Regarding the game settings, I move everything to the highest setting (usually ultra) and then back it off 1 position. So normally it’s a high value except trees and buldings are medium.

Originally I had a Rift S and switched to the G2. I’d never go back. Anyway, good luck but you should be doing better with the G2.

No, I’m not using the steam version. That test was DX12 at default settings, with both headsets set as close to the same resolution as I could get. I agree, I should be getting better as well. I had a 3070 and the G2 was better on that. The only thing that changed in that test is I used the Rift S with Oculus runtime vs G2 and Windows Open XR. I can get better results using FSR but I wanted to compare the Oculus VR environment to the G2.

I saw in some of the AMD forums that people were having better VR in Oculus, so I thought I’d give it a try.

Nothing confusing here. Since 7900 series release they have this line in release notes.

The confusing part is why (at the same render resolution) is the Oculus 30% faster than the HP G2? If I didn’t have a Rift S to have tried, I might have returned the 7900xt and waited for the month or so (amazon) to get the refund and 4070ti.

I’m happy with the 7900xt, even in MSFS VR using the Rift S. It would be nice if the G2 would work as well.

I wanted to post it here to see if anyone else that might have both a G2 and some other headset can comment on their 7900xt(x) performance.

I have 7900xtx and g2 v2. Not happy with performance - it definitely can do more. And when trying fsr2 - getting ghosting artifacts almost on all vertical surfaces. And so many contractional videos on how to setup VR. open xr + msfs 3d settings + msfs vr settings. So either AMD will fix drivers or MSFS will add FSR 2.2.

Would use my old htc vive but just don’t like the door effect there - because of it image looks much darker and blurred.

Hi v000ha,
Not happy with performance means BAD/unplayable? or below your value to performance ratio? I suspect AMD is working on a resolution but that will take time. What level of performance do you have with FPS? any stuttering or frame timing issues vs artifacts?
Thx
Sprung.

Agreed, I would much prefer to use my G2, but the Rift S was just sitting there, and it didn’t take any effort to plug it in and try it. If it’s not too much trouble, it might be worth checking your Vive just for performance. Crank up the resolution scale to something like the G2 and see what happens.

Side note, I found that if I disabled AMD enhanced sync and set my 2d monitor to 60hz (disabling VRR at 144hz) the G2 gained some performance. Maybe this is all tied to the AMD not working well with 2 “monitors”?

I just spent an hour flying around in the Rift S at 150% resolution and it was pretty smooth.

I know you were asking this to v000ha, but for me the unhappiness comes from the performance (specifically with the G2) is only about the same as the 3070 I was “upgrading” from. In everything else, including 2D msfs, the 7900xt is a good upgrade from the 3070. Just not in VR.

1 Like

Hello,
first of all: my english is not so good. :frowning:

I read that you are using the rx6900xt in VR. I’m gonna to buy the rx6950xt and have some questions.

-is your VR withouts stutters? Most of the time i read that man people have always problems with amd GPU in VR and i’m affraid of buying the amd GPU.
-could you post your settings in MSFS here as a screenshot?
-do you still got problems after SU12 and DX12?

What Do you mean with that?

Thank you.

If you go into the options->general options->graphics for VR, then set each to the 2nd highest setting instead of the highest. For example, there’s a setting called “shadow maps”. The highest setting is 2048. I move it back one value and I therefore have this set to 1536.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

When playing full screen 2560x1080 - kind of no issues with full framerate on full quality. And don’t expect start cutting all settings by 50% to get 30 FPS in VR on a top GPU. Additionally I think I’ll swap to HTC VIVE PRO 2 - sometimes G2 loses tracking when I play without light in my room.

1 Like

–edit-- Didn’t mean to high jack the topic — thread here already:

Just checking back in, there are preview drivers that apparently fix the VR issue.
I can say that it does seem improved in some titles, but not so much in MSFS. I have a G2 that I’m trying to get to work properly. It’s pretty weird, if I play “native” WMR openxr runtime I get worse results than if I go into steamVR and set that as the active runtime. Its smoother than wmr openxr.

Anyway, system weirdness aside, before this preview driver in VRMark I got ~14600 points and after… exactly the same. Which is a couple thousand points behind my old 3070!

Project Cars 2 seems to be much better though…

Anyway… might be worth a try.