[ANNOUNCEMENT] FlyingIron F6F-5 Hellcat

GG mentioned the manual supercharger can be implemented but there is a possibility sim updates would break it.

On the other hand, the Milviz Corsair has a manual supercharger control that has endured a year of such updates with no modifications. Not trying to speak too much for others, but I’m sure enough people would forgive a few days of it being broken by a sim update if the payoff is getting to use the shifter manually the rest of the time. As can be seen on the chart you posted, there are some cruise settings where the blower in low gear is used below 12,000 and above 25,000, and high gear below 25,000.

2 Likes

Sunrise at Mount Cook, New Zealand…
:sunrise_over_mountains: :camera: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes currently the aircraft switches automatically at 12000 feet from N to L, always. That is also incorrect because as you correctly said it depends on power setting. During my testing I tried to cruise at 12.000ft and it took me a few seconds to understand why the manifold pressure was jumping up and down and the aircraft yawing left to right for no reason…

1 Like

from corsair manual i remember supercharger can start to be used from 2000f

1 Like

I’ve only flown the Hellcat for a few minutes, and I can already tell that FlyingIron had knocked it out of the park, as with their P-38 and Spitfire. I see that there’s some back and forth in this thread about the engine modeling, but I’m sure that’ll be sorted out.

I do have a strange bug on my end that I haven’t seen anyone else mention yet: when I sit on the runway with the default cockpit view, my eyeline rapidly jumps up and down vertically a few inches. When I move to the next head-position, which puts you a bit closer and zoomed in to the gunsite, it stops jumping. Also, when I move to the previous position, where your head is further down in the cockpit to see the instruments, it stops jumping.

Then, when I take off, it stops jumping as rapidly, but it still does occasionally. Meanwhile, I have no problem in the external view.

Had anyone else had this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it? I haven’t seen it happen in any of the dozens of other planes I’ve installed and flown, including the P-38 and the Spitfire, so I’m at a loss.

Thanks.

2 Likes

You can fix this issue by going into your MSFS General/Camera settings, then lowering your camera height to around 50.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that out.

@JayDee6281 you’re a wizard, that’s all. (if you know, you know).

2 Likes

I had her there yesterday. Beautiful area to fly.

1 Like

Finished up the tuning of the CHT. Make a backup of the engine.cfg file located in the flyingiron/simobject folder.

Two examples of what I consider a believable simulation of the real values, using METO power with fully closed cowl flaps with CHT just at the limit. With the default values you would be at this temperature with very much opened cowl flaps, which I do not think is realistic for this type.

I believe I found the source of this: in the engine.cfg file there is a flyingiron note that says “cht_cooling_constant= Tune to obtain 260C at 2550/44”
This is I think the source of the mistake, 2550/44MAP should definetely not result in maximum CHT being the METO power below 6.000ft, at least not with fully opened cowl flaps.

Here is an example of the new values results:
This is max continuous power FL140 at ISA: 255 C CHT with cowl flaps fully closed, just below the 260 degrees max CHT as one would expect.

This is max continuous power FL140 at ISA+15: 258 C CHT with cowl flaps still fully closed, very close to the limit.

Partially opening the cowl flaps and/or bring the power to maximum cruise will of course result in CHT around the 200C which is what is recommended.
Copy and paste this into the cfg file overwriting the following values.

; Oil Temperature
; 60-85C desired, 95C max
oil_temp_tuning_constant = 1.10
oil_temp_cooling_constant = 0.21
oil_temp_heating_constant = 662
oil_temp_tc = 0.025
oil_temp_factor_from_rpm = 0:0.50, 500:0.80, 2550:0.90, 3500:1.00
oil_coolant_flaps_effect = 35

radiator_cooling_constant = 0.025
radiator_heating_constant = 670
radiator_tc = 0.025
radiator_tuning_constant = 1
radiator_coolant_flaps_effect = 1
radiator_temp_max = 750

; Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT)
; CHT = cht_tuning_constant * ((cht_heating_constant * rpm_on_cht_table) - (cht_cooling_constant * CHTCooling))
cht_tuning_constant = 1.0
cht_cooling_constant=1.3
cht_heating_constant = 960 ; GG > 960 Rankine (260C) is the max
cht_tc=0.025
cht_liquid_max_cooling = 0 ; GG > There is no liquid cooling
rpm_on_cht_table = 0.200000:0.600000, 0.900000:1.000000, 1.000000:0.700000

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Forgot to add: these 2 examples are with oil shutters partially opened which I think is how it should be, if you close them you would be very likely to exceed 260 CHT especially if not in level flight (due lower airspeed), so it still requires a little bit of management of temperature but its more forgiving (and in my opinion more realistic) and you can still use the engine damage option.

Next problem: fuel flow is incorrect but I have no idea on how to adjust it non-linearly. According to the manuals tables at high power settings the fuel flow is greatly increased, probably due cooling requirements.

We actually have a custom thermodynamics model, so I don’t believe the values here are actually used in our simulation (they are roughly set to prevent the default MSFS failures overriding ours I believe). I’ll need @GotGravel to confirm that though.

1 Like

The modification I posted they bring the intended results, not 100% yet satisfied with them but I believe they are closer to the operating limits of the real engine, this one definitely runs too hot. This custom code where is it?

Thanks

guys. engine friction torque is parameters depend of general power engine produce only, any autorotation at low mp will not give you any effect same connect to the cooling from prop. no way all of that can depend only from blade pitch without engine push it enough. any external forces in our case is airflow from -y axis do work with propeller. and no work with cooling and torque(friction). beg you. talk with developers for change that nonsense parameters to engine power instead pitch and rpm. any piston engine will get any of that’s kind effect only from itself power. and effects will gone with power will gone. it’s all about constant rpm propellers. same as car’s engine works. but with more complicated clutch. for now is modeled without clutch at all. that’s why we got torque and yaw drift even at idle power if we set low rpm, that’s why we have cht grows even at low mp if we pull rpm. it’s like you drive in the car without clutch system at all. and you can stop car by just shift to low gear, by engine torque… this is no way for our engines. it’s modeled to set not only rpm but prop pitch relate by airspeed and mp. and by that way we will never should to got more temperatures or torque at lower power ever. because at high mp or and speed will got more blade’s pitch then at lower rpm and much lower mp or and speed. so there not type of compromise, that we can take as is

i guess we can not know where custom code is. because it’s not open source yet:)

Confirmed, thermo dynamics for Oil, CHT, Carb Heat and engine stresses are custom and will not use values from any cfg. Values in the cfg are purely there since MSFS itself requires that.

4 Likes

that’s cool. so could you please change some torque and temperature’s logic from rpm to collective power produced by prop+mp. torque friction it’s inside custom code to?

No worries, all will be looked at for a coming update. We have read all posts above (may not reply to all as we’re hard at work :wink: )

8 Likes

:slight_smile: that’s nice and expectable. we will not talk about some another vendor, who doesn’t gives updates more than year lol. i know they are know about who i’m talking about lol

2 Likes

The values I changed in the cfg they DID affect the temperatures, so that’s weird.
Also, since its custom coding and covered by secrecy I expect it to work as one would expect from a ww2 warbird.