Any high-end VR users here?

I did try removing the spacer on the G2 face gasket but as i wear glasses, they touched the lenses then,

I didn’t try the oversampling though as i did not know about it then.

I can’t get a 4090 yet - the price is still silly and it won’t fit in my chassis very well so that means a rebuild.

I might get a 2nd hand G2 and try again.

Is anyone running the Meta Quest Pro headset??

Not sure how ‘high end’ you’d consider this, but i’m running a pimax 8kx with a 3090. Vertically, it has the same pixels as the G2. The FOV is 150 degrees though. With all the extra FOV i get about 40 FPS max, but it’s typically around 30 and dips to low 20s in close multiplayer proximity and heavy sceneries. The ‘sweet spot’ is so big that its not even something i think about while using it.

I use OpenXR toolkit to override the resolution to about 4600x4000 running on DLSS Balanced but will bump it to Performance in heavy areas. I can read most gauges but for the small items i have a joystick button mapped to an AutoHotkey script that zooms the view (OXRTK feature). Works great for spotting runways from far away too.

I have tried TAA instead of DLSS and that makes it even clearer, but the card can’t deliver enough frames. I hear a 4090 can do it no problem though.

Looking forward, pimax has their 12K coming out maybe in a year or 2, which will probably be OK with a 4090 but really shine on a 5090

Thanks,

Not thought about the 8K.

I can’t see the point in looking too far ahead re 12K as it would likely mean never getting one as there will always be the new one just around the corner and that will always be too much for the current “best” GPU.

I guess getting a 4090 will open up a lot more options than my 3080ti will but it’s just too much £££ at present prices. Thats the trouble with having tried the G2 - I was hooked on the 3d effect, hanging out the cockpit at 2000’ looking at the ground go by was mind-blowing, the audio was 100% as well, it was comfy (ish) and a great price but let down seriously by the Fresnel lenses and micro-sweet-spot.

Having the visual depth of field made my landings go from ok to butter most of the time, it really did boost performance for me.

Now I want more…

Regarding the glasses, you could always get some prescription VR lenses.

1 Like

Is anyone running the Meta Quest Pro headset??

Hey,

I have the 8KX and a RTX 4090 and get about 35-40 fps in MSFS2020 with everything on Ultra or highest and 350 TLOD and 200 OLOD…I have an i9-13900KF and 64GB RAM using a NVMe.2 for the software. This is frame rates in the Seattle area and having two or three addon sceneries KTIW, Seattle Landmarks and Seafront Boats running. my PIMAX is set to Normal and 90hz with some adjustments to the software IPD settings (because my eyes are not in the same plane. A little lower on one side) and I use an IPD that is smaller than my measured IPD as it gives a better clarity to the vision it seems. I have Hyperthreading OFF in BIOS and HAGS OFF in Windows 11. I use ISLC as it appears to give a little FPS boost…not much though…and my RAM is not running at full speed as it locks up the computer if I set XMP on in BIOS. So it runs at 4800mhz. I do wear glasses and I would like to see PIMAX make an 18mm foam gasket for the headset as glasses wearers would not have to worry about scratching the lenses of glasses or headset…though I know the farther you get away from the lenses the less diameter the sweet spot is. Anyway, I enjoy the sim and the VR and it looks wonderful and has very little to no judder or micro stutters…so I am happy with the setup. Also, I use DLSS on Quality with those FPS and DX11 as it seems to give a better result than going all the way to DX12(beta). New Nvidia 528.24 works ok for me…but I did feel that 528.02 was a little bit better on Micro stutters and judder.

2 Likes

I use a Pimax 8K X with a RTX 3080Ti (Alienware Aurora R12) and I can’t get more than 20 FPS no matter what settings I change. There is also quite some stuttering and the image is not as perfectly sharp as I would want it to be or as I see it in some videos on Youtube. I use OpenXR toolkit and have tried out all the different options it offers, but FPS remain at 20 in some settings that are supposed to improve performance, things get much worse.

Update:

Although certainly not “high-end” I have found someone that is going to lend me a Pico 4 to try out this weekend.

From videos on YT it looks like it can work with FS2020 either on WiFi or tethered? so should be good to get some more input other than just the Reverb G2 that I had tried before.

As the Pico4 is mainly a streaming headset, all the videos i have watched so far say it needs to be near the router for signal strength.

My PC has a built-in WiFi6 antenna on top, would I be able to use that to stream direct to the Pico??

I’ve only got it (borrowed) for a week so need to do as much prep as possible :slight_smile:

Most folks with Pico4 are using Virtual Desktop (Pico App) to connect. And most of them have at least a 3090 or a 4090 to get a clear image using a setting in Virtual Desktop called Godlike.

1 Like

I am using the Quest pro with 5800x3d and RTX 4090.
Clarity over entire field of view with pancake lenses. I’ve never seen an image close to this. I’ve used original vive, rift CV1, quest 1, quest 2, Reverb G2, and quest pro.
Quest pro although expensive is a fantastic when set up properly for PC VR

headset in oculus is set to 90hz with max render resolution 1.7x in oculus app

Oculus debug tool settings:
pixels per display overide 1.3x (this is key - it significantly improves the cockpit clarity as DLSS is now working from a much higher base resolution)
Asynchronous space warp set to force 45fps with ASW off
encode resolution width 3600
encode bitrate 500
link sharpening enabled

flight sim settings using mix of high/ultra and DLSS quality

45fps, smooth, and gauges/text is crisp without leaning in. If cost is not an issue it is certainly a step up from the G2 with a much larger FOV. I’ve not tried the pico headset.

2 Likes

Appreciate this info as I’m considering jumping back to Oculus - out of interest have you tried ASW on? And how is the video encoding, any noticeable artifacts or blockiness?
Cheers

Is virtual desktop the only app needed to connect the Pico 4 in PCVR??

Yes, then of course you use SteamVR.

Try the OpenXR Toolkit with some resolutions like 4468x4468 with the Pico 4, you’ll be surprised. You need to go above the Godlike mode.

Ok, thanks

So i need virtual desktop on the headset plus the streamer app on the PC?

Also add SteamVR on the PC?

OpenXRTK runs on the PC yes?