Anyway to backup the installed game?

You are correct, was not attempting to hijack anything. But, thousands of people, who purchased this game in good faith, have had installtion issues. Almost every single updaate, my question to all; How many people have just given UP? Again sorry for my comments being off topic.

I am doing the suggested above as we speak. Not sure it will work, have to rebuild PC, Windows 11 just keeps changing things and now files which I could get rid of, will not go away. Also checking for virus. Backing up everything, will ge gone for 2 weeks.

Windows 11 has it’s own Gotchas, at least some issues on my PC (gamer laptop). Slowly, after sending bug to MS, they are being resolved. I think if it was me, I would wait on Clean install for W11, unless PC is just really messed up. Once W11 is stable, then would do clean install, because on Thursday last, MS issued patch and fixed 55 bugs/gotchas, How many more are going to be fixed before stable, I still have 3 issues on mine.

Actually, you would need about 80 GB of updates, so really there not much use.

Well, I did it, and game is at SU6, so maybe not as bad as that. on 11-18-2021, GOTY and Reno is being released, so will have those updates, and like you say, could be 80, but that is better than the 165+ files size just copied. I will report on progress once at point. Doing full virus scan now to make sure everything is good. Will be this evening before ready. MS will NOT let me turn off updates to W-11, so I will not connect to Internet till I can turn off those. I do not want it to majically reappear on machine, as one user reported it happening to them.

Ok, put files back, went to store and downloaded all the missing stuff. Opened game, it asked me to put shortcut on Taskbar. Then it opened and checked for updates, so far it only needs 11 GB of stuff. So at this point it worked, now weather it is all there or not who knows. Community folder was emptied before I copied it away. But have those files saved and will put back once update is completed. Great idea so far.

All - My Report:

1. I copied the files as mentioned above to another removable drive. I then reset OS back to OEM Windows 10. It took me most of yesterday, and some of today to get machine back the way I like it. The game I did this way.
  2. I made sure all the Windows 10 updates and all the MS Store updates were installed, then.
  3. After I got the machine mostly stable, I first copied the files back to the correct place in the C drive, then I.
  4. Hunted up MSFS on the store, and let it install any files it needed from there. Restarted PC and then opened game. Game went looking for updates, found 11 GB’s of stuff it needed, downloaded that, and then started. CF was empty. Closed game and turned off PC, it was close to 2AM, so went to bed.
  5. I reinstalled the Virpil software for my Mongoose T50/VFX Grip today, and configured it.
  6. I reinstalled the Honeycomb Bravo Drivers and AFC Bridge software.
  7. MSFS keeps a config file on all your devices, so almost no re-configuring was needed. A couple of buttons I checked and remapped on the JS just to make sure they were correct. I have documentation on how I have VFX stick configured in FSX and MSFS, and a little different between them, so two different documents on how configured.
  8. Opened game, checked all controls, and had to make sure the Honeycomb was on the correct profile, it initially was NOT, and the plane did not fly well, realized that, changed to the correct profile, and it worked ok. Then realized I had not installed the CF folder, so copied all those things, about 6 or so back in to it.
  9. Successfully loaded FP, and flew plane around and landed just like a pro.

I am sorry to say, that it took me this long to understand how coping the files out would work, and it does, I recommend you empty the community folder PRIOR to moving it off PC. Then copy them back into CF once you have game back and all the updates it needs installed. WOW, this trick saved me a week downloading the whole thing again.

Thank you to whomever discovered this trick, too bad Asobo never mentioned it in any of the documentation, oh wait, what documentation?

FWIS-The store had about 50 updates and the OS had about 30, and I wanted all those on, before I moved game back to it’s normal place. I installed on C.
Good luck, remember the 18th is GOTY and Reno downloads. Safe Flying.

Hi there - i tried to do that but i get a message that “my organisation does not permit to copy files from that location…” did you have the same ? How did you overcome this `?

Hi @LeoManiMue,
You should be able to copy. Don’t do a cut/paste as then you will get that message. Assure you also have ADMIN rights on your Windows account.

I also use TeraCopy (there are others similar to this) instead of the built in Windows copy.

Thanks for the quick reply… I am the admin, check, i do not cut/paste - check, but still it won’t work :frowning:

On this folder (I’m assuming you have the MS Store version) :slight_smile:
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Right-click and go to Security… does it show that your Windows account is listed with “Full Control”?

Thanks… :slight_smile: lost patience and downloaded the full 147GBs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.