Are people too thin skinned?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/stop-flagging-comments/445998/12

One point that I would like to make, (in my own situation for example), posts were flagged and I was given a harsh system warning instead of a polite message saying that what I had done - in all innocence - was not acceptable.

This kind of advice is invaluable because what is perfectly innocent Sunday-School language in one country or culture might be incredibly offensive in another.

Rather than a “Bad boy! (spanking)”, a polite “Your post was flagged because in some cultures “phrase” is considered an insult and could be mis-interpreted.”

This provides the necessary control and gives the user valuable feedback as to what was wrong, how to correct it and what to avoid in the future.

Please understand that I am not trying to criticize the moderators here - it’s a thankless job, (I’ve done it myself), and can be stressful.

All I want to suggest is that it appears that people are too thin skinned sometimes, messages appear to be flagged inappropriately, and there seems, (at least to me), a lack of clarity in why a message was deemed offensive.

Thanks!

5 Likes