Asobo is melting the planet

I don’t think this is baseless hysteria at all. I happen to agree with the OP. It may be a small effect on a global scale, but lots of people having small effects can have a big effect.

I also think this is an easily improved situation on Adobe’s part, and would go a small way to reducing our energy consumption (and GPU wear).

I have 200Mb cable connection that’s working just fine, CPU is 5800x, HDD is M2 NVMe. AV suspended.

I’m getting 8-10Mb from the update servers at best. Previous updates have taken 30-60 mins at the most.

So I’m pointing the finger firmly at MS/Asbo.

OP - you should just get rid of your computer so you don’t use so much electricity

Point away because your probably wrong

1 Like

Happy to take suggestions on how to improve the experience. Any suggestion other than unqualified, unhelpful opinion?

Sit down, smoke a spliff and yes I do know what I’m talking about.

Thanks. 24 hours with the GPU at 99% just to show a menu is maybe the same as 30 playing hours. For each update? It’s a bug, but the issue is a bit more than annoyed gamers. IMHO the issue is with Asobo, they did the coding.

1 Like

I’m on a 300Mbps connection.
For the past 3 updates I’ve been getting only 30 or so when downloading anything via msfs.
Testing my connection speed on various test sites says its all working at full speed.
Downloading other things I would be getting my expected speeds.

The easy conclusion is its the download servers are slow or my isp is throttling certain traffic.

Having had higher speed downloads on the first two sim updates I decided this time to have a dig around and see if I could find any answers.

Su5 started downloading at the slow 30Mbps but after tweaking/resetting some of my settings I got it downloading at the full 300Mbps at about 7pm which I guess would still be a very busy time on their servers on the 27th.

So don’t be so quick to blame the servers it might just be some settings you need to change.

Some people are downloading via VPN with speeds up to and above 90mb/s or are on fibre in well supported locations getting much more than that. What you were experiencing is a bottleneck in any one of a thousand junctions between them and you.

What settings did you change?

Easy for you when you can load the game. Constant CTD for most of us. So yes asobo needs to fix this m, it’s ridiculous for a game that’s been out for a while now. This isn’t like they just launched it was an update and now it’s broken for a lot of people. All steps were followed to try and stop CTD but no luck. And other have zero issues just adding salt to the wound.

“most of us” where are you getting that from? literally millions are playing the sim right now.

I’d check those all steps again.

1 Like

There’s another in my opinion much better option to reduce the powerdraw during updates than Nvidia control panel (but I would still recommend for everyone to always apply a framelimiter with the maximum fps your monitor/VR headset is capable of).
Use MSI Afterburner additionally. It’s usually an overclocking tool but well you don’t have to use it for overclocking. While you’re updating just open up MSI Afterburner and reduce the slider for the maximum powerdraw of the GPU to it’s minimum. You can do the same for the core clock. This way your GPU won’t use it’s maximum power target and boost clocks.
After all start-up and in-game content updates just reset the settings with one click.

This Method should be even more energy efficient than just a framelimiter and also reduces the enormous amount of useless stress Putting in your GPU during updates. It can also be applied live while running an application whereas Nvidia control panel hast to be configured before running the application.

But yeah all in all the whole update procedure by Asobo is a mess. I mean come on … First installer, than the start-up updates and after that also the content updates in the in-game menu? And the last two steps put so much useless stress on the hardware and draw so much useless energy if you don’t use something like MSI Afterburner or just don’t know how to reduce it otherwise.

I will make a more detailed post later gotta go to work now

1 Like

‘minimise to taskbar’ would save you a lot of words

And I recommend people keep Afterburner off until the CTD’s have been ironed out.

The renderer is still running in the background even if you minimize the application to taskbar at least if you’re in the game and run the content manager updates which can be huge after sim/world updates.

At least for me the Afterburner was never the cause of a single CTD especially when under clocking or underpowering.

Did you even check in Task Manager or HWinfo?

I did

Yes that’s exactly what I did. MSFS application in the background even minimized in windowed mode is running my 3090 at full power.

1 Like

And my GT1030 at 0% render output 41°C … maybe we should swap?

Fortunately there will be future updates so whatever card they have people can try this out themselves

Relative to not melting the planet, maybe someone should let California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Vermont know about MSFS download power usage and they can regulate how many Watt-hours are allowed to be consumed per MSFS update download… Certain Dell Alienware Computers Unavailable in Some States Due to "Excessive" Power Consumption

<<<just kidding>>> :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like