Aussie Flight Group Team - Rocky Mountain of Colorado USA Tour: Eagle County to Telluride

Hi Guys, I messaged one of the Admins of the Discord who advised that the PTT option was left over from a meeting they recently had. They are happy to remove it on request when we open the room for an event.

Advantages of using it: Quieter background noise, people don’t tend to talk over each other.

Disadvantages for us: Some people use their mobile to provide the Discord service and can’t use PTT. Others may be confused by how to set it up and just preferred to not talk as a result.

Let me know if you want to leave it in place or have it removed for the next event.

Just went there and no one showed up

Just tried to get in. No one there. West Usa and used the flt pln. Enough for me

We were there in good numbers. Had a great flight.

1. Did you turn up at the right time?
  2. Were you on the correct server?
  3. Did you connect to Discord where you could have discussed any issues you were having?

I run the events each week at the same time, so you can try again next week. Just read the event details correctly to ensure you understand what is happening when.

Hope you can join us again soon.

Sorry about not able to use PTT. Would’ve been nice to provide commentary. Was using my cell phone so was not able to talk, but was able to hear everyone. Some interesting discussions. Hope everyone enjoyed the scenery. Flying red over white DA 62 with some issues coupled with TrackIR problem. Finished the entire flight though with a crippled plane. As in the previous flights each leg becomes harder.

1 Like

Thanks Randy for contributing these Colorado events. Everyone appreciates you efforts and we had a good flight. The PTT issue will no longer be an issue unless others suggest they want it.

You weren’t the only one with issues, I got boxed into a ravine and my plane didn’t have the legs to climb out. Had to go back to GO and not collect $200.

I generally use mobile for discord (for your stats/consideration)

Hi Paul, Here’s the outline of the flight for next Friday. Will send supporting docments in separate post.

ATTENTION Aussie Flight Group Participants …

Group Flight: Group Flight: November 27, 2020 8:00 PM

Departure: Telluride Airport (KTEX)

Arrival: Lake County Airport/Leadville (KLXV)

Duration: 167 NM, approximately 1.5 hours in DA62 @ 160 kts

Challenging Take-offs and Landings, Mountain Flying including high altitude short field landing (RWY 2981’/1219m) at 8980’/2737m MSL

This will be Part Three of a three-part series (with an optional Part 4) introducing challenging and educational flights in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado USA to be conducted over the next 6 months. Completion of all three parts (honor system) will earn you a mountain flying endorsement including special endorsements for Leadville Airport (Part Three) which is the highest GA airport in North American and Telluride Airport which is the highest Commercial airport in North America.

Colorado has 53 of the 67 fourteeners ((14,000 + feet MSL) in the lower 48 states. Second in North America is Alaska with 29.

PLEASE DO NOT SPAWN ON THE RUNWAY. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE STARTING POSITION ON THE RAMP.

Route:

Charts will be provided to assist locating VFR waypoints and recognizing surrounding features.

• Take off from Telluride Reginal Runway 27
    • Will require taxi (taxiway) uphill to end of runway
    • Highest Commercial Aviation Airport in North America
    • Rated 10th Most Challenging Airport in North America
  • Track 43 deg to Gunnison-Crested Bute Airport (58 nm)
    • Full stop landing
  • Take off from Gunnison-Crested Bute Airport
  • Track 351 deg to Buckhorn Ranch (19.2 nm)
    • Full stop landing
  • Take off from Buckhorn Ranch Airport
  • Track 84 deg to Central Colorado Reginal (KAEJ) (38 nm)
    • Full stop landing
  • Take off from Central Colorado Reginal Airport
  • Track 330 deg to VFR Approach to Lake County Airport (KLXV) (26 nm)
    • Full Stop (9,400’ MSL min)
    • Highest General Aviation Airport in North America

Altitude: The route can be flown at 14,500’ but you can vary the altitude to suite the terrain.

Airport details:

Telluride Airport (KTEX)

Elevation: 9052’ MSL
RWY: 09/27 (7111 x 100 feet/2167 x 30 meters)

Gunnison-Crested Bute Airport (KGUC)

Elevation: 7679’ MSL

RWY: 06/24 (9400 x 150 feet/2865 x 46 meters)

RWY: 17/35 – Turf-Gravel (2981 x 150 feet/909 x 46 meters)

Crested Butte Airpark/Buckhorn Ranch Airport (0CO2)

Elevation: 8980’ MSL
RWY: 11/29 (4000 x 40 feet/1219 x 12 meters)

Central Colorado Reginal (KAEJ)

Elevation: 7950’ MSL

RWY: 15/33 (8303 x 75 feet/2531 x 23 meters)

Lake County (KLXV)

Elevation: 9933’ MSL

RWY: 16/34 (6400 x 75 feet/1951 x 23 meters)

Aircraft: As the route is around 14,500’ in altitude at most places the following is a guide for maximum flight altitude (See Graphic of Flight Plan):

Any aircraft capable of obtaining an altitude of 14,500’ for extended periods of time and a VS of 500 fps, preferably 1000 fps if you want to explore the area as the route does not allow you to turn around at low altitudes.

Seeing Aircraft Correctly: You need to do two things to ensure you can see the other pilots in the event and see them in the aircraft they selected.

Select the same server: To do this, proceed as follows:

• From the Welcome Screen, click on your Username (top right)
  • From the list of servers, under Servers, select WEST USA

Turn off Generic Planes: To do this, proceed as follows:

• From the Welcome Screen, click on OPTIONS
  • Click on GENERAL
  • With GRAPHICS selected, scroll down to the last option and set USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS to OFF

Voice Room: Discord for Official MSFS Community: Event #1 or Event #2 are the voice rooms available to us. I need to see which is available on the day and reserve it. I will be in the room and get it authorized for our use. Just look for my USERID: VHFIB to determine which room to enter.

Note: if you are new to the Discord Server for MS FS, you will need to “react” to get access to the voice rooms.

To “react”, once in the Discord for Official MS FS , click on the Important - Info option and at the very bottom, click on the button (last item at the bottom of the screen) to react and provide access. Note: clicking on the button accepts the conditions etc., which you can read via the available links.

Weather/Time: We will set the time 12hrs prior, i.e., 8 am. This will allow us to fly in daylight and choose Clear Weather, so you will not get icing during the flight:

1. From the World Map view, click on Flight Conditions (upper right of screen)
  2. Click on All Players, Live Traffic, Custom
  3. Under Weather and Time, select Clear Weather (except if you want to see snowcapped mountains set the ground snow depth to 30-40 cm after loading flight) and move the time slide bar to show 8:00am or say 7:45am if you arrive at 7:45pm (12hrs prior to current time).
  4. Click Close and Fly from the World Map view.

We can start departing from 8pm. There will be no need for official radio calls. Let’s just have some fun taking in the scenery and the social aspects of the event.

Multiplayer Map: Currently, the VFR map will not show Live players, so if you get lost, it’s difficult to find where the other flyers are. The free multiplayer map will show the other players (that are using the map) and allow you to see their heading, speed, altitude and callsign. But it will only show those using the map. The below map tool is excellent but only as good as the volume of people using it.

Not mandatory but if you would like to use this map, see the below for details:

Link to moving map: https://events.flighttracker.tech/ 12 7

Once viewing the map, click on Join to download the client that connects MSFS for tracking your flights. Note the .NET Core Windows Runtime requirement that needs installing also.

Let me know if there is anything else that I have missed that you need to know.

Regards, Paul

1 Like

Here is flight plan and charts:

VFR Telluride Regl (KTEX) to Lake Co (KLXV).pln (2.3 KB)

1 Like

Teaser Pitures:

Quick question: I was only able to see two other planes this morning during the PNG flight. Apparently you all could see me, but I was unable to see you’ll except the two other planes, in the map also the same. Was my settings wrongly set - followed the pre-flight information?

At the start of the trip I saw everyone in Port Moresby. I crashed (overspeed) after DOO and when descending after crossing the mountains. Started again at DOO after which I only saw about 4 aircraft but from what people were saying I clearly was not seeing them, there should have been at least another 11 aircraft. I exited App and restarted plan at DOO and caught up I could then could see everyone. So I put the issue down as an App problem. I heard you on Discord Randy and sure at one time I saw your nameplate. See you Friday. I did check the Server and was always on W USA.

Hi Paul. Randy has added his Colorado flight plan details to the end of your FLY IN originally created on October 17. The title need changing from the date of 10-30 to 11-27. As others may not easily find it. Although my reply to him has made it a more recent entry.
Regards Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, Yes it would be better if he PM’d me with the details but don’t be alarmed, I’ll create a new event for the details.