Autogen airports too dark

I feel that ,in general, the illumination and brightness of all ground lighting like apron,taxiway, runway lights as well as papi lights needs to be increased. At present, the taxiway and runway lights look like tiny led dots without any high intensity volumetric effect.
I hope they fix it soon.

3 Likes

Just to show the difference in lighting here, the top one is a real photo from a EGLL Departure, the other is a screengrab from a video of a user taking off from EGLL at night in MSFS2020

8 Likes

Yes,as said the glowing light effect and the high intensity hdr lighting effects are missing

2 Likes

really need to have lighting! itā€™s so hard to see at night, even premium deluxe airports are missing night lighting and it makes it incredibly hard to get around properly.

I really hope this comes fix comes soon as winter is going to make the days very short for those flying real time.

3 Likes

Dont know if any one has mention this but it would be great if airports have some sort of lighting (flood lights) so you can see your plane and where you going.

youā€™re absolutely bang on. the lighting of airports at night is awful. even huge international airports are almost pitch black around taxiways, gates and parking. not sure how they missed this?

1 Like

Also the coverage area of the apron lights needs to increase.

Presently,the apron lights hardly illuminate the immediate surrounding parking spot with very less illumination but in reality, the apron lights are of much high intensity and combined together illuminate a large area.
In the sim,most of the ramp/apron lights illuminate only their immediate parking spot (that too with very low intensity lighting) and the areas/ taxiways in between look pitch dark.The lights dont have the proper volumetric dispersion.
In real life,the area around the terminals are illuminated with super bright lights and they illuminate the surroundings upto a quite far extent and gradually fades away.

I feel this is a problem on the MS/Asobo side and there is a need for improvement in the overall night lighting system, because even the 3rd party airports also have this same issue.

1 Like

I had this issue with all airports btw.

Most airport taxiway and areas away from the terminal are pretty dark. When I used to fly in Los Angeles at night, we used to have a joke that if you want to find the airport, just look for the big dark patch.

Itā€™s okay but Iā€™m talking about the gates and ramp stands are just dark. Itā€™s not realistic.

1 Like

This a problem with all the airports not a specific one and I understand that they are just generic but after all they are airports, which are an integral part of flight sim.

But the point is that there needs an improvement in the overall night lighting system ( i mean the software/tools used for night lighting in msfs) ,as because even the 3rd party airports comes with this sort of issue.The coverage area and the intensity of the apron lights are very poor and illuminate just its immediate surroundings and then suddenly becomes pitch dark there after. In real life,the apron lights are super bright & illuminate quite a larger area and gradually fades.This effect is lacking.

We are not in a hurry but hope that this gets fixed at some point of time.

1 Like

I did notice something at Heathrow at some ramps there were lights attached to jetways or buildings but they didnā€™t illuminate at night.

Please Implement an algorithm that adds some default flood/apron lights at the airports. Its very difficult to navigate through the airport at night. Complete realism is lost !!

How can the dev team neglect such an integral thing like the airports before releasing the sim?? Airplanes doesnā€™t land on photorealistic sceneries; they are nice & necessary but airports are also no doubt an indispensable part of a flight sim.
And in the sim the autogen airports at night doesnā€™t look like airports.They are some pitch dark areas in otherwise illuminated surroundings.

MS/Asobo , Kindly implement atleast a generic night lighting in the airports as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Here I had the same problem, some default airports has no accurate data. SDNO, SBAE, has night operations and had no runway lights, no taxiway lights, I am compiling some errors and reporting to zendesk. I will make then busy

Some airports do have lights, but they donā€™t illuminate the surroundings.

itā€™s been 3 weeks since my thing went to resolve for the same problem

1 Like

You have my vote. I donā€™t fly much at night though due to the melted sepia hellscape.

1 Like

Although this has been mentioned Multiple Times in different forums, this hasnā€™t gone to the official list of changes. Iā€™ve seen a list of the issues Asobo is working on, thatā€™s fine, there are hundreds of issues and Iā€™m glad theyā€™re being resolved in a pretty decent amount of time and overall Iā€™m really happy and enjoying my Flight Simulation Experience.

BUTā€¦ The only thing that annoys me is when I arrive to an airport at night or I want to start a flight at night. In most cases itā€™s impossible to even see the airplanes parked next to you, itā€™s impossible to see the taxiway markings when they donā€™t have the green lights, itā€™s impossible to see beyond your nose in some airplanes in which the taxi / landing lights only iluminate two meters in front of the airplane.

We need some kind of Night Ligthing for the parking areas and in general around the taxiways and the facilities or just simulate some kind of eye aperture to allow you to see where youā€™re going at night.

+1
Hope the gonna fix it.

I want to contribute my opinion on this: airport taxiways are notably bright at night, more than reasonable, and I think light pollution is to blame for being too exaggerated.

Hereā€™s a photo from the sim, landing in the dead of nigh at Rochester NY:

Versus Collingwood Ontario, which is just right as I remember it IRL:

Toronto Pearson (far too bright):

Hereā€™s one (kinda out of focus) from a real flight landing in Kitchener Ontario:

Dresden IRL (from aerialphotosearch.com):

Thereā€™s a very significant difference, in that in reality itā€™s very difficult to make out the taxiways without any taxiway edge lighting, unless thereā€™s a nearby floodlight.

I feel like light pollution (although the effect is fantastic) is overexaggerated, causing the airports to ā€œglowā€ at night when it should in fact look like a black hole in the middle of a city if all the airport lights went out. The intensity of light pollution brightness is exaggerated; if an aircraft was landing at night and all the airport lights were off it would be almost impossible on a moonless night to see anything other than the airport beacon, even if the airport was in the middle of a city.

To summarize this post:

1. Landing lights and taxi lights are too dim
  2. Airport aprons need more flood lights to make flying there more immersive
  3. Light pollution illuminates airport surfaces too much.