Autopilot behavior not linear using HDG or NAV

I think the turn rate issue was part of a wider change to tame the autopilot. Prior to the last patch sometimes engaging the autopilot would see it pitch into the ground on the std DA40. Now the autopilot engagement in pitch mode is very stable. Same with transition from pitch mode to FLC mode. Prior to the patch you got a large drop of the nose when you enaged FLC mode. Now FLC enagagement barely see a nose drop at all when switching from pitch mode. This is a big improvement. When rolling, the aricraft would often initially roll too agressiveley prior to the patch. Asobo obviously tried to fix this but tamed it down too far. Lets hope when they fix the roll issue they donā€™t break all the good work done for pitch and FLC engagement.

2 Likes

Here are some video comparisons made by Avsim member Marsman2020 on the lateral issue between FSX, X-plane and MSFS

MSFS

FSX

X-plane

Serious problem with MSFS and proof for Asobo

5 Likes

Very broken, having the same issues

I noticed this immediately on my very first post-patch flight in the 172, doing a 180 degree turn using AP heading select. The rate of turn reduces far too soon, and far too much, as the aircraft comes within 45 degrees of the selected heading.

1 Like

Hello! Those are my videos. Sometime in tbe next couple days I will try to recut them into a single video with some text overlaid.

1 Like

Great idea, maybe get the little navmap overlay on the video, like picture in picture

I would think most people are more concerned about graphics and scenery than actual flight dynamics. Asobo really need to start working with domain experts to help with basic stuff like this.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more.

Over that last few updates, they have clearly shown they are not providing the actual people writing the code, with the appropriate level of aviation specific technical support/knowledge.

They wouldnā€™t keep making these glaring errors if they were.

I hope it isnā€™t true, but I wonder if changes are made and pushed out for the community to test. Maybe they are on such a tight budget they are forced this way!

The landscapes are great but they canā€™t make planes, they can learn from PMDG ā€¦

Iā€™ve noticed turn rate is much slower. Too slow now, causing misses of the localizer on ILS paths at times.

In some instances, the plane doesnā€™t follow the GPS path, but is from a couple of hundred meters to a couple of NM to the left or right, and holds that even down to an ILS landing, meaning youā€™re guided down to the left or right of a runway instead of on it. And these arenā€™t offset approaches either. These are ILS paths that Iā€™ve flown many times. In one case, it was bringing me down about 500m to the left of the runway, not even into the airport.

3 Likes

Yes i also have the same. the APP is always a few meters to the right or left, even with ILS Landing. Very impractical in thick fog. Vlt. can this be fixed again? That would be great.

Just flew the SR22 from one local airport to another. Hereā€™s what the setup to land looked like on the ILS approach. This was flown ā€œby the bookā€ using the published approach plate and less than ten degrees off centerline from the IAF at the correct altitude.

Since the update on the 24th, the glideslope capture and maintenance down to decision height is far better; the GS bug stay right where it should. Itā€™s the lateral tracking that seems way off. However, Iā€™ve also flown textbook perfect approaches in both the TBM and the C172 Steam Gauge aircraft.

It is a mystery why sometimes it works and other times it does not. Iā€™ve flown this approach into KSBP countless times in many different simulated aircraft. Troubleshooting the problem seems to be a moving target: every two weeks thereā€™s a change in the code.

After this patch the planes go with the same error of the HDG does not turn well :pensive:

Letā€™s vote, a simulator canā€™t have an issue like that.

Based on feedback from the Fly by Wire team who have been communicating directly with the developers, Asobo is well aware that they made a mistake in changing the heading behavior of the core autopilot system, and will be correcting the behavior in the Dec 23rd update. It would be nice if they issued a hotfix prior to then for this one issue, but if not, hopefully things will be back to normal after the scheduled update.

Itā€™s scary that it requires feedback from the community, even if it is a respected dev team, for Asobo to identify their own mistakes. Unfortunately it seems painfully obvious that Asobo currently lack sufficient subject matter expertise/technical knowledge on a host of issues.

Personally, Iā€™d rather they slow down the development cycle, if it meant they could provide increased aviation specific technical knowledge/support to their internal team. Iā€™d rather things take longer, but are correct and accurate, than the rushed, and sometimes completely inaccurate features we get in updates now.

1 Like

It seems theyā€™re putting the brakes on a bit with ā€œpatchesā€ and the bi-weekly schedule. I think thatā€™s good news. If Iā€™m reading the Roadmap correctly, it looks to me as though they are planning fewer but more comprehensive releases to fix the bugs/issues.

Theyā€™re trying to pull so many disparate knowledge bases together: aviation, weather, and geography to name just three. Each has its own set of detailed specific data and it all has to work and play well together, in an environment simulated on countless hundreds of hardware combinations on the PC side of things.

It will be interesting to see how things develop once DX12 is in the picture, and the XBox software is released. It is a big endeavor, to say the least.

On the ND the win[quote=ā€œPZL104, post:8, topic:326978ā€]
Most airliners donā€™t even have a turn coordinator.
[/quote]

That is a very bold statement: Can you explain me then why just below the sky pointer on many airliner`s PDF there is a slip indicator?

PZL can speak for himself, but allow me to provide some context just to save you a little time. (And welcome to the circus!)

His statement about airliners not having a turn coordinator was part of a big debate about ā€œstandard rate turnsā€. In GA aircraft ā€“ at least during most of my training and flying years ā€“ had an actual turn coordinator (slip and bank) instrument that wing position (bank angle) marks for 2-minute turns.

Other users replied that a standard rate turn did not relate to that bank angle, because airliners typically used 30 degrees or 25 degrees as their bank angle during standard rate turns. And they might use 1 minute turns for approach holds, whereas they might use 1-1/2 minute turns at higher speed.

During this debate, someone did make it clear that airliners also had coordinated turn indicator ā€“ as you say, it is the little bar below the bank indicatorā€™s triangle on the PFD.

Furthermore, this topic (ā€œAP behavior not linear using HDG or NAVā€ mode) is complaining about an issue introduced by Asobo back in late November. For heading changes in HDG mode or when intercepting a radial, GPS track, or localizer, prior to late November the AP used to roll in fairly quickly to the max bank for an aircraft, hold that max bank constant, then roll out on the new heading fairly quickly ā€“ realistic behavior for typical autopilots. Then Asobo broke that behavior, causing slow roll-ins, not always reaching max bank, not holding a constant max bank, and rolling out very, very, very slowly and often missing the intercept by quite a bit.

They somewhat fixed that AP turn behavior in the December 22nd update, but while itā€™s livable, itā€™s not realistic and could use more work.

There you go. Welcome to the discussion and hope to see you in other topics.

B