Autopilot does not capture Glideslope any more (TBM930)

I have the same problem with the TBM. I cannot capture the glide slope either for ILS or RNAV. Everything works fine and at the moment when it the glide slope is to be captured- (white indicator to green) it disappears. I have spent hours trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.
This bug needs fixing- as I try to use instruments for my flights.

Any insights are most appreciated!

1 Like

Any luck with a fix? I have the same problem

Did RNAV work?

Disclaimer: it works. I’m on a World Tour using the TBM as of this reply, and have made IAPs at nearly every destination on the five legs taken so far. Trust me, after three plus hours of fighting bad winds and lousy ATC over typical 700nm stretches in real time, the last thing I want to do is to hand fly a circuit in the dark.

Are you at the published altitude for the fixes? Be at or slightly below (like 100 feet).

You can load an Approach in Flight during a VFR, but you must fly the Full Transition, and be in APR before the FAF. Otherwise, prefile an IFR in the built-in Flight Planner or create one outside using your preferred EFP and import.

Notably you’ll have to set the altitudes by hand, so make sure when you cross each fix, you are at or below the published alt. I use VS for this purpose, but use what you’re comfortable with. There is no VNAV support unfortunately with most of the Garmins.

GS will capture 8/10 times. There are certain approaches that are just problematic, you may never encounter them. Additionally, most RNAV will underrate the GS, so don’t be surprised to quickly find a complete red Christmas Tree when cross checking with the VASI or PAPI. You may need to disconnect well above MDA. ILS is more reliable (no surprise), but some approaches are also incorrect on GS and even Lateral alignment.

When on ILS, DO NOT MANUALLY SWITCH TO LOC1. As long as you were in APR before the FAF and followed everything stated above, OBS will switch from GPS (Magenta) to LOC1 (Green Arrow) automatically, and GS will capture.

Useful tip: get yourselves copies of the Working Title Garmin mods. They all have a Flight Path Marker which is standard on Garmins but missing on the Stock Asobo versions. Worst comes to worst, adjust pitch and speed to put that FPM squarely (or even roughly) on the runway threshold as the strip becomes more visible in Synthetic Vision. Keep it steady there, and Presto - you have a more or less 3 degree GS and your main mounts will contact the runway where that marker is. This technique is used in real life, and allows you to fiddle with speed and pitch while only having to worry about where the FPM is and cross-checking that your descent rate is appropriate and survivable.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to help! I am most appreciative and will follow your suggestions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.