Basic scenarios broken! Cessna 172 engine won't start recently!

Firstly to answer your question; very weirdly I had the exact same problem. I’d turn on the master switch as part of the POH checklist and the engine would crank - turns out I had my Airbus throttle quadrant plugged in and I guess with engine starter switch set to NORM and starters on it was cranking the engine. Unplugged and it worked fine, now for a quick flight from KRNT to KCLM.

Secondly on X Plane and it looking like the 80s - yes, but MSFS lead me to buy X Plane - initially for the Toliss A319 because it beats to Flybywire A32NX any day, but now I use X Plane’s default 172 to practice my real world checklists because even though they don’t have the Garmin branding all over the G1000 the one in FS2020 is completely off. The indications on power systems are all off, the fallback when the secondary screen are off don’t happen - its just poor.

Choose the sim for the purpose - MSFS is great for practicing ground based navigation and dead reckoning, X Plane is great for practicing checklists and to be honest pattern work, slow flight and ground maneuvers.

I don’t see much different anymore between the MSFS flight model and X-plane, have you tried lately? Also the WT G1000 NXi is available for free in the marketplace to replace the default G1000.

I have had the same problem. It resolves when you play with the throttle and fuel mix. Increasing to a richer mix worked for me.

Lessons learned years ago from starting my old car on cold mornings. Pull the choke, pump the accelerator a couple of times… brmmmmmm. Off to Uni !

1 Like

Hmm, doesn’t the MSFS2020 Cessna 172 have an injection engine? Playing with the fuel mixture and “priming” by moving the throttle back and forward does exactly nothing. You’ll need to:

• Open the throttle slightly,
  • Run the fuel pump,
  • Then select mixture full rich,
  • Wait until stable fuel flow,
  • Mixture back to idle cut-off.

Engine should be started with mixture idle-cut off, then advanced slowly as engine lights-up. I’m wondering how many people actually start with mixture idle cut-off, in real life the engine will flood and fuel will stream out of the exhaust if mixture is left full rich during start.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, just updated it to the latest working title version and still doesn’t match it. As I say, MSFS was great for flying VFR and doing the navigation against the sectional, but not quite at the systems quality of X Plane yet :slight_smile:

It’s getting there, though. Working Title are doing great work with the NXi, and they are turning their attention to other systems when they are happy with it.

If you compare the two sims problems, it’s going to be far easier to improve the systems in MSFS, than it will be to add the graphical elements that it has to XP. The factor here is time, and no matter how much time LR are given, they won’t have the budget, or in Austin’s case the inclination, to add things like photogrammetry, satellite photography, whole world texture streaming, and whole world high quality DEM’s.

I’m not sure if XP12 will have the same limitations as 11, but from memory you could either have your own Ortho, or improved meshes, but not both at he same time.

From memory, the only issue I’ve had with starting the 172 was an issue related to the fuel cutoff. I think there was a patch where the only way I could get it to start was Ctrl+E due to a bug. At least I think it was the 172.

What system quality are you looking for in a C172? It barely has any systems, there isn’t much to simulate. Regarding the avionics, the G1000 from WorkingTitle is getting really good.

Not sure anyone is still interested in this thread, but I had the exact same problem. After thrashing about unsuccessfully for awhile, I discovered a little red button, mostly hidden behind the cord for the hand mic, labeled “Fuel Valve.” The way it was labeled made it look like it should be “out,” but when I pushed it “in,” the engine started right up. Apparently it defaults to “out” when the plane is cold/dark.

Me too. Falcon4 , BMS, FSX, and now MSFS… always the same. LOL.
Cheers.

Dear all. I have the same problem with a ,Activity,what ever I try : No start of the engine and or engines unless I go for a free flight…??

Interesting quirk when starting cold and dark:

• Cessna 172 Steam - fuel valve is OFF by default
  • Cessna 172 G1000 - fuel valve is ON by default

So with the steam Cessna, remember to push in the little red fuel valve!

By default the Bravo Throttle quadrant is configured for 2 engines. When you set it up for single engine the default options are for multi engine. You need to go into the options and cancel the throttle switches, number 2 prop switches and #2 condition levers. Make sure to turn the fuel valve on and do not leave the start switch in the start position. If you do you’ll loose your glass cockpit after about 5 minutes of flight time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.