Bell 407

I have exactly the same issue. I can mouse-control the twist but the axis assignment doesn’t work in the 407.

I am using the TM HOTAS, which has a basic profile for Helicopter already. I duplicated and renamed one for the 407 specific to change to my liking and it already had the joystick on cyclic.

Bell 407 after a couple days flying, PC, full hardware with pedals, all assists off and flight model modern.

Too easy to fly.
Torque won’t go over 85%, these are an easy to over torque aircraft.
Air Speed seems to stop at 105Kts, I’ve been 120kts in a 206L which should be slower.
Many functions don’t exist or don’t work.
With cyclic centered on take-off the helicopter flies backwards, this is opposite to RL.
I could list many issues with flight model but see first point.

Still very happy to see Helicopters in sim finally and i hope they continue to improve them, if not hopefully a 3rd party does.

1 Like

I have everything set up like you describe. I can’t get the force trim to work. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I also don’t see the control animations (cyclic and pedals) move much when I move my hardware controls. The control inputs are there (I have full control over the helicopter, but the in-cockpit animation of the cyclic and pedals hardly move). That’s maybe a VR thing, don’t know.

Several issues voiced here are now fixed with this addon.

1. Torque. You can overtorque now. Before, full collective would render you uhmm 85% torque. Which is unrealistic. You should be careful with your left hando so you don’t overtorque the engine. Fixed.

2. Rotor RPM. Now you can pull too much collective. In the original, no matter how much collective you pulled, the rotor RPM stayed at 100%. Fixed aswell.

3. Cameras. Original one = bad. This one = less bad. Call it fixed…

4. Engine. Engine is working more realistically now. Still needs work. Maybe it’s a limitation of the sim or my brain. I can’t tell yet. More on that soon.

5. Tail rotor more sensitive. IRL you don’t need as much pedal to keep the heli going straight. Fixed too.

5 Likes

I do not know why but i tried all you said and Force Trim does not work, should work bascily as the UH-1H in DCS i guess… anyways what i do find on my side though, is, the button we bind as you said for force trim act as trim reset for me… if i go outside view, to have the Trim gauge, i trim the nose down or in other words, the rotor blades forward, but the second i press the button we binded for force trim, it simply reset the Trim gauge to neutral, nothing i do keep the stick where it should be when i press the button but only reset my trim set.

2 Likes

This happens to me too. It does nothing but resets the trim.

1 Like

thought i was going nuts :). What i simply do roughly, just flown it 20 minutes so not experienced it a lot, still waiting my prescription lens for my new Reverb G2… but what i quickly tried is, before go light on skid, i give a few trim notch nose down, about 5 ticks or so, so when i hover up, i find it easier to input some aft stick than forward and once moving i just need to slightly adjust trim for the speed i want to go, the Bell 407 in MSFS does not seem to need that much forward stick to required a fast Force Trim positionning, it can bet set slowly with normal trim.

oh my lord, your mod works. now I can fly a long flight, I even hover for 30mins. I was jumping up in my house my wife thought I went crazy. Thank you

2 Likes

Rotor brake doesn’t seem to do anything in terms of slowing the rotor blades below 40% RPM.
Purely cosmetic?

Anyone know how to turn off the Spot Light on the rear cockpit wall in the middle between the pilot and co-pilot seats? It’s not the flashlight assignment, and there is no where to click to shut it off. None of the overhead switches seem to shut it off. You can adjust the light up or down only, and its always on and way too bright for night flying.

@autopylit88
There is a knob on the back of the light. You have to rotate that to off position. Happy hunting!

The idea of Force trim is to quickly trim to the current cyclic position. If your cyclic was the center and you press the button, the new trim is at the center.

When you press the button, where was your cyclic at? Can you do this test for me (I am not on my
MSFS PC):

Move the cyclic full forward. Press the Force Release. Where does the trim indicator indicate the new trim position?

Move it full aft and press the Trim Release. Again where does it move to?

The small movement is likely a Sensitivity problem in your joystick setup or the joystick is not properly calibrated in Windows or Xbox.

Force Trim seems difficult to understand I realize. Try this:

Change to the outside view with the instruments visible. There should be a trim indicator.

Center the trim manually. Move your cyclic full forward. Press the Beep Trim button. Where did the trim indication move to?

Try it with full aft cyclic. Press Beep Trim. Where did the trim indicator move to?

Was your cyclic control in the center when you pressed the button?

It works, but not well or quickly. I found that my bind is a press and hold. You have to hold down your preset and wait, and wait, and wait, and…

Some useful info from the 407 flight manual:

Max airspeed for steady autorotation … 100 knots
Min Rate of descent speed … 55 knots
Max gliding distance speed … 80 knots

Max operating altitude … 20’000 feet

@BenderS92 @Doum76 I can confirm that with these bindings on my rig, the “set rotor __ trim” command functions as a trim reset. It seems to do nothing until you add some trim from the hat, but after that, pressing the button just zero’s the trim and you have to make a sudden correction on the stick.

2 Likes

Rotor brake should only be engaged below 40% Ng with the Engine switched off on the ground.

What happens if you have the cyclic forward and then press the button? Does it always center the trim irrespective of the cyclic position (which should not be mapped to elevator/aileron btw) ?