Bell 407

From the Known Issues in the release notes for SU11:

Bell 407

• VR controllers are not fully supported by the aircraft.
  • The rotor brake does not slow the rotor blades down.

nicely written, and well said.

The green backlighting can be dimmed with the big silver knob. However, I find that its usefulness is only in the first few degrees. You have to turn it down all the way almost.

Screenshot3

1 Like

I wonder if its my pedals, but it seems like when you down the collective hard, the helicopter torque does not require the amount of right pedal as you would actually need.

Perhaps my sensitivities need adjustment?

Same here :confused:

It’s Nemeth, making it very unlikely it’ll receive many updates sadly. I wish they would have partnered with Cowan instead.

On xbox controller even with left trigger pressed 100% bell is spining clockwise like crazy. Other heli works perfect.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m on pc then.

It only seems to work with tail rotor assistance on the Xbox.

1 Like

I set vertical trim to my HAT switch, and loosened the tension on my HOTAS. Helps so much. I’ll try setting Left/Right trim when I get the chance.

Cowan, Milviz (errr Blackbird), Cerasim… anyone but Nemeth.

1 Like

So far so good. It feels like a helicopter.
I’ve spent about 2 hrs in the G2 and and hour in the 407.
They fly really realistically. I’ll post more input and videos as I get deeper in.

Great Job Seb/Asobo! This is an amazing start!

All assists off, Pro-Flight Trainer, HP Reverb G2

2 Likes

Sweaty hands but I managed!

Hmm… so the generator isnt doing anything it appears and the power dies after 1 hr flight approximately. Am I doing something wrong?

How to setup Helicopters Controls so that Trim and Force Trim works

Arm Force Trim

On the 407 there is a toggle switch on the overhead panel for Force Trim and it must be switched on.

Screenshot5

Joystick Assignments

Assign a button to the Set Rotor Longitudinal Trim (“Force Trim”) as well as the other 4 Trim assignments as shown in the picture below.

The key is to assign the cyclic to “Set Cyclic Longitudinal Axis” and “Cyclic Lateral Axis”. By default, it is set to Aileron and Elevator which a helicopter flight control system does not have. The elevator and aileron axis do work on MSFS helicopters, but that is the reason Force trim does not work. The Elevator position is not fed into the Cyclic control system. Also, do set the Rotor Lateral and Longitudinal Trim settings as well.

Operation in Flight
Then in flight, if you hold that button in you set your pitch attitude with the cyclic. Whatever pitch attitude you obtained when releasing the button, the pitch will be trimmed for that attitude.

In RL the force of the stick is actually released and you move the stick to the new central position, but I think here it is more like the attitude is trimmed and then when you move the joystick back to the central position, the helicopter is actually trimmed for the attitude where you released the button.

How do you know Force trim is working and how to test it?

What I did was trim the cyclic full aft or forward so that you have to deflect your joystick fully to maintain your attitude. When you click the “Force Trim” button (“Set Rotor Longitudinal Trim” joystick assignment) you can then move the joystick into a new position and when you release the button, that attitude is the new trimmed value.

I did the same but with Elevator and Aileron assigned and it did NOT work anymore.

EDIT: It was established that Force Trim only resets trim. Maybe not implemented or the Joystick assignments are misspelled. A bug was logged.

9 Likes

A joystick with a twist handle is highly recommended for the Xbox to fly helicopters.

1 Like

I see, yes I did read that and forgot

The Bell 47 controls are a joke! Yes im no helicopter pilot and i fully understand that helicopters are not easy to control. But they need to add an easy mode for people new to flying helicopters. There are many people wanting to fly helicopters for fun. The controls are set to ultra realistic and is impossible for most people to control especially with an xbox controller. We need to add a better option for ease of use. I have been trying to fly the bell 407 for over a day straight and it keeps crashing. I had to reset the flight over 2000 times now it is ridiculous for someone who is new to helicopters and just wants to have fun and feel like there really flying a helicopter. Please update these helicopters with something that can make them fly way easier and let people actually enjoy them instead of making it so frustrating to fly!!!

3 Likes

I would recommend you start with the Cabri instead of the 407. Start with the assistance option On. Flying helicopters with an Xbox controller is difficult. Try to get a joystick if you can. Helisimmer.com is also a good resource about flying helicopters on a sim. There is a link in the upper left corner “How to fly a helicopter”.

As you gain more experience return to the 407.

2 Likes

I’m on PC, i think that the problem is that tail control is using only half of the axis thats why even if left trigger is pressed fully whole machine is is still sniping. It doesn’t work with assists on or off.

The sim crashes when trying to save a vfr pilot view