Bing Data causing crashes with add-on Airports or Scenery

Yep, that would be the one to use in that case. Edit the first line to match that folder, and let the script run. It will pause for input after the first file has been changed. Double check that it has done so, and if it looks okay, let it run on the rest by pressing Enter until the script exits. All of those sceneries should now work. The other script will rename them back to their original, but again edit the first line. It will be looking for “*.cgl.bak” files.

That sadly didnt work :frowning:

Not quiet, you have the script scanning the official folder for Marketplace addons, but also the communitiy folder if you have addons from 3rd party sources :thinking:

That’s not what it is doing at all!

It specifically does NOT touch the “fs-Base-cgl” folder.

If you have run this script, you will see in the console it printed out the folder it found, and the FILE, not folder, it had renamed.

Look to your scenery folders, with custom airports, or just look at the script output. It tells you what it has renamed when it pauses, and you’ll see it has renamed the file, not the folder it sites in.

Oh, I just noticed you added “fs-base-cgl” to the folder path. Bad idea. Just point it to one level up. You don’t want to touch that folder at all costs.

You had it right at the “steam” folder, as that is the one that contains “fs-base-cgl”, the folder it ignores.

It will scan all other folders at the same level as “fs-base-cgl”, and find all other .cgl files, and rename them to “.cgl.bak”, crucially ignoring the “fs-base-cgl” folder.

Changed the path but no cmd prompt etc is opened or anything.

Opening it in the CMD just shows this:

It’s not a DOS script. It’s a PowerShell script. Save it with the .ps1 file extension, right click on it, and press Run. Perhaps I should have added that to my original post, sorry. So in that last images case, it would be “Turn.ps1”.

That was the reason hehe! Thank you!!

What about a script that also turns off any .cgl´s in the Community folder?

You may not need to worry about those, unless they were purchased from outside the Marketplace. I haven’t tested it, but in theory you can just rename that first line to point to the community folder instead.

Just remember to press Enter to let the script continue. That’s just a safety net to stop widespread destruction, as it would have done if when you had it pointing to the “fs-base-cgl” folder, it would have renamed every cgl file in there. Not good!

Pressing CTRL+C will break out of the script if it does something unintended.

Ich finde das alles schon sehr traurig … super Microsoft… und ich versteh nicht warum ihr jetzt an eure daten rumfummelt… Asoboo hat das zu fixen…

I got it to work :smiley: Now I´m able to turn off .cgl´s for marketplace purchases as well as for community installed scenerys :smiley:

Much appretiated with the guidance!!

1 Like

Well done! Remember though that this is a clumsy, sledgehammer approach to a problem. Some sceneries may not be affected at all, like the TNCM one from the Marketplace. They’ll still load, but may not look as nice as they should. Tinkering with the other script will help renaming them all back.

I made two testflights from EDLR to EDLP.
First with Bing Data off—CTD
Second with Bing Data on and CLG File renamed every thing fine.

What is the reason for this file - what dos it do???

I think it stands for Custom Ground Layer. For that I take it to be the ground imagery? I’ve not looked in to it, though.

If you have turned the bigdata off, and still does a CTD it could be your Rolling/Manual Cache as well causing this problem.

The .cgl (Custom Ground Layer) is a custom Sat-Image that will overwrite the SatImg streamed from Bing.

1 Like

Atleast a quick walkaround til MS/Asobo and Bing get their ■■■■ together :stuck_out_tongue:
Created both on and off scripts for Asobo assets folder and for the Community one.

1 Like

Yes I have spent a bit of time investigating and I can reliably CTD ( crash to desktop) with 100% certainty now by approaching the area of EGNM where I have a ORBYX Airport ( Leeds Bradford).
This is my only Add On Airport.
A temporary fix is to locate the *.cgl file for the airport located in the Official Folder >OneStore>Orbyx>Airport> and rename the cgl file as cgl.bak until the Asobo fix.

2 Likes

I find this method preferable to disabling Bing globally.

1 Like

Yes, its the much cleaner solution, but I wonder how many will delete wrong .cgls from the official folder, or wondering why they have no custom satimage at their airports in the future :joy:

1 Like

I just uninstalled all my addon scenery and went flying in the Himalayas instead :smiley:

1 Like

Precisely why I added the disclaimer of using it at your own risk. :wink: