Bing Data causing crashes with add-on Airports or Scenery

Yes, I read the thread. But still I remain speechless. Bing data or whatever this is unacceptable

5 Likes

Looks like that solved it for me thanks! I wonder if we will have to clear the cache again to change it back once fixed.

It is really a shame. I hope they can roll out a fix soon, since some of my favorite airports are of course those with CGL files that re-texture the ground.

I’d assume that you have to, as you now will load the bing data back into cache which will than again interfere with the .cgl files as soon as you reactivate them :thinking:. Maybe just do not use cache at all at the moment :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Having the same issue as everybody. Here’s some info I gathered during troubleshooting that may be useful to the devs:

• I first discovered the issue at ORBX ENTO. CTD when the loading screen was close to completion. Not possible to get past the loading screen at ENTO. No CTD after disabling the addon.
  • ORBX KBCE no CTD initially but then CTD after roaming around for 3-4 minutes.
  • ORBX ENAL no CTD at all, even after roaming around for 20 minutes.

All these add-ons have a CGL in their folders.

FYI my community folder was empty during the troubleshooting.

I first discovered the issue today. My last successful flight with the ORBX ENTO add-on was on 11.02. at 15:30 UTC.

I saw a suggestion that a recent Windows Update might be causing the issue. Tried uninstalling the recent windows updates from 13.02. but that made no difference.

As its been said - speechless…Asobo finds new and interesting ways to break the sim every single release…its almost like they dont test at all (I know thats not completely true but sure seems like it)

1 Like

Same issue here with EDDK and other ORBX sceneries, did a full re -install of everything and spent the whole day yesterday to try to figure out what the heck happened. It would have been nice just to get a statement saying that we have issues and are working on them.

1 Like

One line code :wink:

Turn off .cgl

Turn off .cgl

get-childItem -recurse | Where {$_.extension -eq ".cgl"} | rename-item -newname {  $_.name  -replace ".cgl",".cgl_copy"  }

Copy/paste to notepad and save as > all files > turn_off_cgl.ps1

Move saved file to your community folder.
Right clink on it and select Run with PowerShell
obraz

OR

Go to community folder
click File > open powershell > open powershell as administrator
Copy/paste to powershell

get-childItem -recurse | Where {$_.extension -eq ".cgl"} | rename-item -newname {$_.name  -replace ".cgl",".cgl_copy"}

press Enter

Turn on .cgl

Turn on .cgl

get-childItem -recurse | Where {$_.extension -eq ".cgl_copy"} | rename-item -newname {  $_.name  -replace ".cgl_copy",".cgl"  }

Copy/paste to notepad and save as > all files > turn_off_cgl.ps1
Move saved file to your community folder.
Right clink on it and select Run with PowerShell

OR

Go to community folder
click File > open powershell > open powershell as administrator
Copy/paste to powershell

get-childItem -recurse | Where {$_.extension -eq ".cgl_copy"} | rename-item -newname {$_.name  -replace ".cgl_copy",".cgl"}

press Enter

1 Like

I was about to do the same thing a while ago until i came on these forums…Thank god i did

When i delete the cgl file (which has 1,2 gigabyte) the add-on of Justsim for Brussels disappears on screen… this is no solution clearly … ?

Im not messing with any cgl files thats for sure…Id rather wait on a offical fix

4 Likes

Rename .cgl
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bing-data-causing-crashes-with-add-on-airports-or-scenery/364649/381?u=tenpatrol

I’ll say it again … I think it’s funny that some of them are fiddling with their files … actually it’s Asoboo’s job … sad something …

1 Like

Yea now that I know it probably not a biggie for me to avoid those airports for a bit…unless of course Asobo is going to wait 6 weeks to fix…

I just happen to buy EGGP yesterday and CTD on landing…of course at first I thought it was just a bad airport but after reading our wonderful community gets the info out so I dont start stumbling across it at other ones as well…more then I can can say for official channels…

This illustrates major problems with the internal structure of sim code base. From the first patch after launch which fixed some things, stability is getting worse and worse over the last 6 months.

Firstly, there is no logging of any type or error messages to allow a user to diagnose at what point the a CTD occurs, or how it might be fixed. One of the largest Bugs on this forum is “CTD with no error message” which is never discussed in the Dev Q&As and is generally ignored by the devs.

Secondly, the code itself allows these CTDs instead of catching an exception, and then following a codepath to reset the sim to a known good state and continuing.

Loading ortho data and something goes wrong with the data from the Bing back end? Catch an exception, clean up whatever was being done in the routine where the exception occurred, and continue on without whatever asset caused the problem.

A backend server change should not even be capable of causing an issue like this. It should be assumed that the server will get borked and return totally wrong data at some point, and the sim needs to be able to catch that and fall back to the known working state.

Simconnect asking for something that the Sim isn’t wired up to deliver? Catch an exception, fail the Simconnect call, and keep the sim going. Don’t let the entire thing CTD.

It’s easy right now to blame CTDs on peoples PC’s or their Windows install or whatever. I’ve got my bag of popcorn ready to pop for when the XBox version comes out and that version is crashing, on an OS completely controlled by Microsoft and hardware controlled by Microsoft. There will be nothing left to blame in that case except MS/Asobo.

The sim needs to be robust to all kinds of interactions from outside and handle them gracefully without crashing. As Jorg likes to say - it’s the platform - and it needs to be a platform we can depend on.

17 Likes

Nail on the head.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, has anybody bought an addon Airport outside of the MSFS market in the last day and has been told at point of sale that they maybe an issue with a CTD by the Airport developer because of the Sims current state?

There was a lengthy thread on AVSIM recently where someone’s sim began out of nowhere to CTD during the blue loading bar. Across multiple windows installs, multiple PCs and multiple internet connections with the Steam version. ZenDesk was useless and they ended up re-buying the entire sim from Gamepass and abandoning their Steam copy. (Along with purchased addons that MS/Asobo were unable to move over)

The Gamepass version worked.

Something with their server-side profile or peripheral profiles or something must be corrupted that persists across multiple installs on multiple PCs. But there is no logging, and no fallback, and no officially supported method of resetting whatever it is that is messed up.

I’m glad to know my sim may just stop working one day because of some server-side thing, and no one will help, and I might no longer have access to 100s of dollars of addons I purchased.

Thread: Desperate for help... MSFS broken... - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

yes, had this happen at the Orbx EDLP Padderborn free add-on airport: too one CTD on Saturday when trying to start a flight there and one tonight when on approach. I will try renaming the .cgl file and see if it solves things.

If the Bing maps are being upgraded then its likely that this is an unfortunate side-effect, possibly also explains the delay to the UK update.

To be honest its not worth screaming about yet, Did a good flight in the WT CJ4 this morning from Geneva to Insbruck and then a nice evening run from Insbruck to (near) Padderborn and now its time for a glass of wine anyway :wink:

1 Like