British Columbia is no joke for a Cessna 172

4 Likes

Well who knew? Thanks for the link. :slight_smile:

Wow, just…wow!

This information is really exciting. With talk of clouds, mountains, and wind I now have additional things to consider when flying. I continued my flight up BC to Alaska and learned that clouds can be seriously dangerous! I will not take them so lightly anymore.

I did another IFR flight which had me very close to the mountain peeks at FL06. I thought that was a bit too low and eventually requested ATC to increase it to FL12. I struggled to reach that flight level. These peeks were covered in clouds and as I traveresed them I experienced quite a beating. I have NEVER experienced such wild fluctuations in my variometer before. Since I was surrounded by clouds I couldn’t tell where my plane was. I used the G530 to navigate to water to immediately land at the closest airport. It was utterly scarey cause I try to play the game with one life.

Either way it was a ton of exhilarating and exhausting feelings. I tried to take a shortcut and realized it’s not worth it. Sometimes the boring route is the correct route.

4 Likes

This is a good thread. I did an Xcub bush trip from BC to Alaska with multiple legs. A basic journal story of sorts. I will post it here after I proof read it a bit. I totally recommend that any adventurer try it out. It was some hair raising flying most of the time with live weather.

1 Like

All this talk of BC and nothing about the floods happening now?

These are true heroes.

What are your thoughts on Xcubs? I originally didn’t like the tail dragger one that came with the game so I was turned off. The new one that came with game of the year edition seems decent. Should Xcubs be used for wild trips like this? I’m primarily using the C172 because it’s the only plane that has gas gauges and autopilot from the base game.

Wow I had no idea this was happening. That’s wild.

1 Like

Any light single is more than capable of negotiating the BC mountains. It is not the airplane that determines the outcome. It is the pilot. I put a ton of hours in Super Cubs, not XCubs,

flying into unimproved strips and gravel bars all over the province.

Pick your favorite. Plan some short hops between established airports. Watch the weather and follow the recommendations above. Experience and planning. No substitute. When you become proficient at valley flying in good weather, you can start planning some trips that require going over, not around, mountains. Keep them short and in good weather. Stay away from IFR until you have mastered VFR nav in the mountains.

FYI;
FL is reserved for designated airspace. In North America, FL is above 18000 feet.

Not FL06. 6000 feet.
Not FL12. 12000 feet.
Important distinction.
What is Flight Level?

2 Likes

Oh my goodness. I’m learning so much. Thanks for the tip. How do I communicate my elevation in a more universal way? I was looking for a shortcut, would 6000 ASL work better?

Also; your thread on super cub is very insightful. Thanks.

1 Like

Correct.
Unless you are flying above a designated transition altitude.

Transition Altitude

The transition altitude (TA) is the altitude above sea level at which aircraft change from the use of local barometer derived altitudes to the use of flight levels . When operating at or below the TA, aircraft altimeters are usually set to show the altitude above sea level.

1 Like

How much I miss a good super cub in msfs.

1 Like