Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR

Exactly this. I actually got a feeling my shoulder is out of the plane. The yokes feel like plastic toys for kids and the seat is funny small. But besides this i am loving it :slight_smile:

One thing is they recenter based on a standard head position, I’m not tall irl so the seat seems to be slightly too low like I would need to add a cushion for my head to be at that height.

Correct scale perception is actually tricky in VR, first you need things to be modelled at the correct scale so that movement matches (I think this is the case), how high your head is and whether it matches your height, then you need your IPD, that is basically the distance between your eyes and the distance between the two virtual cameras to match, the FoV need to match though that’s normally always the case it can also depend on the HMD and user. Then there are other factors including not being able to see one’s body (and nose, believe me, that’s one thing that throw people off) and the fact that everything is at a fixed focal distance.

I’m an average size guy and when I used to fly in my Dad’s 172 I always felt crunched in so it feels exactly right to me.

2 Likes

Real-world Cessna 172R/S pilot here with a LOT of real-world experience flying these planes. Used the Oculus Rift CV1 with MSFS2020. I agree the scale is incorrect. The cockpit is about 3/4 the size it should be.

6 Likes

We have to be careful here… Because the people saying there is nothing wrong is not considering that IPD is different for everyone. And simply adjusting it manually like with the Index does nothing (already tried).

The size is definitely off for some of us… And we need a world scaler to fix it… This is an issue in most flight sims, and believe it or not everyone is the same… Thats why we should have world scale slider.

For me the planes are off about 10-15% size to small.

Also people that ware glasses… Its all effecting this. And than you add in the fact the MSFS downscales your resoulution… Again you need to think before you judge what people are seeing in the game.

I have also flown in a 172… And its Small. But not that small… Hell even the buttons are a little too small… LOL.

4 Likes

Please make sure to review the information I’ve posted here:
[FEATURE REQUEST] Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR

I hear you but I think it is more than that. The 152 is very small inside IRL but my perception in VR (X-Plane VR as well) is that it is almost ‘miniaturized’ or something like tilt-shift maybe. Its not way off, but it is enough to trick the brain or at least my brain or lack thereof!

Edit: I use a first-gen HTV Vive. Maybe it is different for other equipment?

But then how do we know what the correct world scale value is? What I’m also curious about is whether all planes are similarly in scale or not. For example the C172 feels ok for me, but the C152 yoke feels like a toy wheel indeed. The Dreamliner and A320 feel very large on the other hand…

In that case, topic moved to #Bugs-and-Issues:vr so voting is enabled.

Based on all these replies, it sounds to me like the app might not be using the IPD data provided by the headset to set the stereo offset for the eyepoint cameras. Those who coincidentally have an IPD close to whatever the sim is assuming will see things as looking right, while the further others are from that default, the more wrong it will appear. Just a guess.

If this really is the problem, they need to fix it by implementing it correctly. A world-scale adjustment slider is a bandaid that will still make things look kinda weird because the eyepoint spacing still won’t be right. What it really needs is a stereo offset slider.

1 Like

Took my first VR flight in a Citation Longitude last night, and the first thing I noticed was how small the cockpit was. Without VR I was so used to being in a large room, and looking out at the world through a 14x33 inch monitor… now with VR, you’re inside of a tiny cockpit and looking outside at the whole world. Sizewise, I was constantly hitting my head (virtual) on the A-Pillar and Ceiling. You can reset your position a few times to get it right, but it’s quite small in there. Once I got the right/left and up/down position acceptable, I leaned back and passed right through the seatback. That was a trip. And, there appears to be no legroom at all in a $27 million jet. While seated in a good position for the dash and windshield, I found that the startup switches in the center console are so far back I had to ask someone back in First Class to flip them for me. :slight_smile:

Eventually however, I was able to use this cramped environment to my advantage… I was able to lean clear outside the window at 300+ miles per hour and look back to check for wing icing. :slight_smile:

Jim-Sim

To be honest, I haven’t tried MSFS in VR yet (I have the Rift), but from my earlier VR experience with X-Plane and also from my friends’ preconceptions about the cockpit dimensions I know that it might come as a surprise for some people. I’ve heard arguments for and against the cockpits being of incorrect size in MSFS, so I might suspect there are headset specific differences.

All in all, as the experience seems to be subjective, I agree there needs to be a scale adjustment as there is in X-Plane.

In my case this is definitely not a zoom issue or lack of understanding about how small the cockpits really are. It definitely seems like a world scale/IPD issue, however the manual IPD adjustment on the Vive has no impact.

Yeah, I’ve flown a couple of light aircraft and I’ve sat in a real 737 captains seat and the cockpits are tiny. They have always felt much biiger in all the flight simulators. So I’m not sure this is actually a real issue.

The real issue is FOV and zooming out on a tiny view port is not a proper fix for that but it is all we have at the moment.

Funny, first thing I thought when I hopped in a VR C172 was “god, this feels cramped. just like the real thing”

2 Likes

Yes, I agree the cockpits have this miniature feel to them. I used to be a real GA pilot and that’s the first thing that came to my mind when I first tried the TBM and 172 in VR with my G2. The solution is a WORLD SCALE slider like P3D and rFactor2 have to name just a few. I mentioned in it in Discord as well, and some people are experiencing the same thing as well

My IPD is 68.5, so my G2 is et to its max value of 68, and yes I am definitely experiencing the cockpit miniature effect. When I lower the the IPD on the G2 to its minimum value the cockpit appears to become bigger and feels just right, but makes it impossible for me to look at it for more than a few seconds. The solution is a WORLD SCALE slider such as the one in P3D and rFactor2 just to name a few. Hope this will come in a future patch release. Otherwise having a fantastic time with VR in MSFS : )

Perhaps it’s viewing on a screen that makes cockpits larger than they really are. Remember that when the image is mapped onto a screen, it is stretched.

Cockpits are DEFINITELY too small like 75% scale (real life pilot, lots of time in 172s, Carbon Cub) its not the IPD as some people think (that gives you clarity not size of objects).
Hope they fix this because VR is amazing for FS 2020 , but this is an immersion killer.

1 Like

Physical IPD change on your headset (moving the lenses) affects clarity. Mismatch between your physical IPD and in software “IPD” (really distance between virtual cameras) affects your sense of scale.

1 Like