[BUG LOGGED] Airbus A320 neo lacking climb performance after update

At the higher altitudes turn icing on, wings, engines, I did that and my climbing was fine again. It seems after the patch you need it at heights of around 30k and above. Without it I couldn’t get above 31k, with it on my A320 default kept climbing to 39k

I literally said I know that there are many topics about this issue. I’m simply trying to figure out if this is a bug or if possibly this is more so realistic and not a bug after all.

1 Like

I will give this a try tomorrow, I did also read someone posting that it doesn’t work. Curious if it will solve the problem…

I did check this again with full weight, ISA, MCT, 290 kts up to speed conversion thereafter Mach .78 and all ice protection ON with no effect. I’m hitting the same benchmarks as last time, not able to climb much above FL290!

1 Like

I always have my icing on just because and my default A320 still won’t climb much either past FL300. I don’t believe this is an ice issue/solution.

It isn’t indeed…

Works for me , didn’t do before I turned it on but now I can get up to 39k . Are you turning all icing on? Using the panel buttons rather than the keyboard shortcut?

Did you see the photo in my post? Absolutely no effect, not that it should matter since I’m flying in clear air all the time.

Another interesting thing is that the aircraft appears to climb better at 290 kts compared to green dot speed. This is also a bug as the green dot speed is the only speed you should be able to fly at the absolute ceiling but it seems like you are able to climb higher with 290 kts… The aerodynamics of this thing are so so wrong :neutral_face:.

I’m not so sure if it’s that bad.

At low altitude the CEO climbs a lot better at 290kts than at green dot speed.

At 65t the optimum climb speed at FL350 is still 247/.73, but green dot is only 214kts.

I’m also not sure what the Airbus definition of max alt is, service or absolute ceiling.

In terms of rate of climb you are right, at low altitude the Vy is above Vmd = green dot = Vx, but the ceiling with 290 kts should be lower than when climbing with green dot speed (Vx = Vy at the aircrafts absolute ceiling). Somehow I’m ending up with a higher ceiling at 290 kts than with green dot. Green dot should be the highest ceiling achievable.

Absolute or theoretical ceiling is never published in any performance tables, so max. altitude must be service or practical ceiling of which 500 ft/min rate of climb is achieved or 200 ft/min in icing conditions.

I just came across this article:

The CEO performance calculations I have show an optimum climb speed of 232/.74 at FL383 and a ROC of only 300ft/min at 65t.

I’m not so sure if reducing speed further to green dot would increase performance.

1 Like

You are right it is 300 ft/min. And yes I’m assuming constant thrust with increasing speed (ram rise vs momentum drag) which is more correct for a turbojet than it is for a turbofan, so thrust does increase slightly with increasing speed and initially outweighs the increase in drag on the front side of the curve. So the speed to achieve max. ceiling is indeed slightly above Vmd / green dot. But not 50 kts as in MSFS with full weight :sweat_smile:.

I just tried with 70t now, one time with 290 kts to speed conversion and then Mach .78 and one time with green dot all the way, this time it looked much more equal topping out at FL330 roughly. Its hard to say as the autopilot is doing an awful job maintaining speed during the climb. So maybe it only occurs at max. TOW or it was just something weird.

But the original issue remains, at 70t I’m hitting 300 ft / min around FL330 so the performance is definitely too low.

1 Like

De-icing “working” for me. Working as in it will now climb at max weight slowly (200ft/min) above 29K feet without on autothrottle and 700ft/min with throttle at MCT CLB.

Still berked, but at least ATC stops annoying me now. Preferred it pre update - behaved more like a real A320NEO . . . .

Maybe you were flying in (light) icing conditions? I have tried in completely clear sky with 0.0000% effect. Which is also weird as use of de/anti-icing equipment should reduce performance as it consumes bleed air from the engines.

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but airliners usually stay at a given climb speed in KTS (say 300 kts) until they hit an altitude where this speed corresponds to a certain Mach number (say 0.7). From here on, the aircraft keeps climbing with constant Mach number, which in turn means continuously reducing the indicated airspeed. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work automatically in MSFS, because the knob to switch between kts and Mach is bugged - if you press it, the display will change units, but the AP will still command speed in KTS. I then start to continuously reduce selected speed in order to keep Mach number constant - et voilà: climb speeds of > 1000 ft/min at FL370 are possible, and in total climb from departure to cruise level in ~25 minutes, which feels largely realistic.

I noticed that but climbing with 290 kts until speed conversion and then Mach 0.78 (manually) doesn’t give the required ceiling. At full weight you hardly reach the speed conversion altitude at all :sweat_smile:

You may be right about MTOW - I’ll try that. Last time I was about 10t below.
Mach 0.78 seems to be pretty fast for a climb speed, I usually stay at 0.72-0.73 (I have no idea what real A320 pilots do, thpugh – back in times of the MD82 Mach 0.7 was a common climb speed).
It may be a problem at high weight, though, as I have also been rather unhappy with the T/O field performance when near to MTOW.

I think Mach .78 isn’t rare, I used Mach .78 because the Eurocontrol performance database is using this so it was nice for comparison. It doesn’t matter much in climb performance, climb performance is based on the indicated airspeed, not Mach No. given that you stay below Mmo obviously. If you want to know the ceiling of the aircraft you could climb slightly above green dot speed, that should give you max. ceiling. On a jet:

• Green dot = speed for min. drag = best angle of climb speed.
  • Best rate of climb speed is somewhere above min. drag speed, reducing with altitude until reaching min. drag speed at the aircrafts theoretical ceiling.
  • At the end you’ll end up at green dot speed (or slightly above ideally) no matter if you go for max. angle, max. rate or max. ceiling, eventually you’ll end up at the min. drag speed = green dot.

d8a10e47c099b301a75a44987ce771bdd9418fa0_2_690x390

Btw, as soon as you hit 300 ft/min rate of climb you have reached the max. altitude (service ceiling) according to Airbus performance tables.

1 Like