[BUG LOGGED] Color artifacts and rough gradient, clouds like oil painting

Don’t worry X-Plane 12 is coming and it looks a lot better than MSFS.

8 Likes

XP 12 isn’t what I expected :x

4 Likes

Yeah I shared my opinion on FSElites post about XP12 announcement, immediately got LMs troops attacking me for my personal opinion haha some personal attacks too that I laughed at… XP12 looks like xp10-11 with new shaders, 3d trees and new clouds… the clouds look terrible imo. They keep quoting the flight physics, I personally think the MSFS flight physics is on par or better than XP. Some more tweaking and it will be perfect.

MSFS is my prefered Sim, lets hope MSFS gets better and better increasing the already big gap and doesnt go backward closing it.

13 Likes

Yep after seeing yesterdays “announcement” for all of msfs imperfections its easily the better. Sure we have some things to sort out and fix but we have a decent base and are not working on something that looks like its from 2008 with lego graphics.

We also have a clear roadmap from the devs here so we know fixes and improvements are incoming. Having seen what others can come up with…Good work Asobo! you have my future support.

1 Like

I must have missed that. What was the announcement?

I’ve just finished watching the “competitor’s” annoucement. While I was taken away at first, I’ve realized that MSFS truly has an upper hand with visuals from the get go. Once visibility is added together with fog/haze/mist simulation and several bugs or missing things are implemented (wind gusts, thermals, up/downdrafts, windshear, convective turbulence etc), MSFS will be the cream of the crop.

7 Likes

We already had a really awesome and breathtaking sim last year, the point is that with each consecutive update many very important things got worse (peaking with SU5), which lets you worry about the actual direction they (Microsobo) are going to take… For many of us not to the better.

See that is actually the issue… There is no feedback at all from Asobo adressing the mentioned issues in this thread.

2 Likes

You’ve clearly never taken the controls in the real world.

Just saying.

1 Like

■■■■…that’s soo next gen :rofl:

Blasphemy! How can you! Don’t upset austins acolytes. On a diff note: Xp12 is a good thing, it will make some chronic moaners here disappear ;)!

3 Likes

There’s a lot of potential for nostalgia, or even just bias in hindsight when making these kinds of comparisons. However, having said that, my first experience of the sim after the initial release was on a 42” HD TV. The intention was simply to spend the first few hours setting up all the controls and going through the menus before switching over to a QHD monitor.

Well, that didn’t happen as I was genuinely taken aback by how good it looked at Ultra settings with render scaling set at 130%, while still running at acceptable frame rates (40-50 fps, 2080ti), so I ran it like that for the first six months or so - Such things are of course wholly subjective, but my point is that had I started up the sim today, there is no way I would have considered this option as it is quite clear to me (literally) that the sim is not running to the same visual fidelity that it was at launch.

Normally, none of this would be a problem for me if it weren’t for the fact that I have little else to fall back on. The rate at which the WUs are progressing is far outpacing the rate of stable SUs, so if you don’t care about the graphics so much, what else is left to explore? Remember, this is where third parties were suppose to come in. So even if Asobo’s were quite open that their plan was to concentrate on the visuals, the nature of the changes, and the inherent instabilities in those changes means that there is little to no incentive for either third party developers to produce and support study level content, or for me to invest the time that would be needed to learn and enjoy such content, given the current stability of the development process – Sometimes the way something looks is a very good indication of how it feels, which is why these debates are important, IMO.

6 Likes

People are starting to move on.

For example I spent yesterday getting re acquainted with my NASCAR sim. Enjoyable bug free and crash free and spent the majority of time actually driving as opposed to endless tweaking and trouble shooting. This will happen even faster for the Xbox crowd.

3 Likes

Thank you for your statement! Sometimes I wish I could express myself in these matters as eloquently, sadly it’s not my native language :smiley:

Ahh graphics from the days before they DIDN’T dumb it down to run on Xbox… Those were nice.

6 Likes

agreed! i was flying with 15-20 fps but still happy…

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I was flying on the coast of New South Wales.

Um but yeah I think with a little more tweaking the FM in MSFS will be great, currently it feels more natural to me with the correct sensitivities and curves set. Xplane is a little more twitchy, I’ve never been a fan… and reading around quite a few real life pilots who fly the heavier ones agree with me too.

2 Likes

I have to disagree with you on that one.

4 Likes

This should make people pause before criticizing Asobo so often. Austin and his team have been working on XP for 26 years to get to this point. Wow!
We are at a total loss to understand what Asobo is doing or why, but this preview of XP 12 makes me think that Asobo are magnificent developers and that they will get us to the promised land much sooner than 25 years from now. The impatient and those suffering constantly crashing sims will jump ship, and my heart goes out to them, but after seeing this preview of XP12, I, for one, will have much less trouble maintaining patience. The XP team has brave confidence in that version, but after flying in MFS, even after SU5, I could never go back to that.

3 Likes

So your eyes can see a light bulb perfectly clear from 3 miles away… and they look like squares?? The second shot looks WAY better and way more realistic

1 Like

For the 1 thousandth time, the clouds have not changed since day one. they act and appear different depending on your position to them and what speed you’re going, they have done this from day 1. I was just in the sim tonight and the clouds look and act exactly like they do in that vid.

1 Like