Can we have subfolders in the Community folder?

I appreciate your understanding of the meaning of my post concerning add-on installation.

Concerning patience and enjoyment:

I would rather the community be impatient and call for better right now. This homebased flight simulation community has been stagnant and traveling backwards way too long. Not very enjoyable to me being compelled to purchase the same add-ons for the 2nd & 3rd time.

3 Likes

I must agree with You in this sense, that I also have spent thousands of USD/EUR on payware addons for FS9, FSX, P3D, DCS, X-Plane, and so on
, many double times and now I hardly can accept I will have to pay again :sob:
But this is how world and business is working nowadays to keep fresh incomes, especially in such a niche industry as flight simulation. Besides in all other software market we, users are now always a kind of continuous beta-testers too
 that’s a pity, but this time MSFS is a real game changer for me and I hope that it becomes the only sim I will be investing from now on

1 Like

I have just created a subfolder under community folder and moved all my modified aircraft there. They are no more seen by the simulator, so I have to revert the folder structure now.

1 Like

Have You created symbolic links from moved folders and put them into Community folder ?

No. How do you create these symbolic links?

@SMOOTHPP There is merit in your idea, I know it is something I would dearly love to see.

Thread moved to #self-service:wishlist, don’t forget to vote everyone.

1 Like

Read my earlier post - I explained there what tool I use and how I do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, I checked again and there was a syntax error in the text, in the .json file and it was fixed hehehe finally and I could see them. But in some of the additions that are loaded they are with those errors and cannot be seen.

Hello

I saw a very responsive development of free and payware addons from independent developers and its a very good news.

However all of them must be install in the same folder see Community. Can you allow the possibility to install these addons in sub-folder as aircraft, scenery, liveries, etc. ? I’m afraid that after a while we won’t find our way around in this folder

Merci to continue to make a good job cousin :wink:

Pierre CYUL

What do you mean ?

I agree. Right now it doesn’t allow subfolders from what I can see.

I’d like to see a structure like

community\Aircraft\Textures\asobo_A320Neo[Variation Name]
community\Scenery\Airports[Scenery Name]

It is better to start now with this stuff, because it will be a lot harder to implement later. Add on install paths will be all over the place like you have in P3D.

2 Likes

In my opinion the ideal solution is that users can create their own folders according to their choice in the Community folder. The application on loading could with a simple scan search for the addons when loading MSFS2020. Being a java / C ++ developers before my retirement it shouldn’t be that complicated.

Asobo’s approach has made adding new addons a lot easier and it’s a really good improvement compared to adding airplane scenes and textures when compared to FSX and P3D. But maybe it’s a bit oversimplified if users add hundreds to thousands of addons and textures by country like me :grin::grin::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Very soon, your Community Folder is going to get full of all sorts of 'addons" that seemed a good idea to get, but mostly you will not be using when you want to run the sim.

I would suggest making a “All Addons” folder, and putting any addons you get in that, arranged in any way you want.

Then at any time, before starting the sim, you can decide which of those you want to COPY to the “Community” folder, and/or delete some/or all items from the Community folder.

Especially, in the current climate of “Unstable Patches”, being able to start a newly patched Sim with NOTHING in the Community folder, would be a big help in determining if the new patch itself, is causing any issues.

Add all the addons into the equation, and it becomes very difficult to determine if it the sim, or a bad addon, is casing the new issues.

2 Likes

Here is a need for an "external Tool " program to be used before starting MSFS2002

“FS2020 Addon Manager”

Pretty obvious what it should do, and if written with a well designed GUI, should become a MUST HAVE 

Really easy to write as well, its just File Management
 no need to know anything about the detailed working of FS2020, simconnect, etc

2 Likes

But who would we contact to get this done. My community folder already has 50+ files plus the 100s of liveries. It would be great to get this organized now instead of later with so many community addons already out there.

Some general folder ideas; aircraft, liveries, airports, scenery. I have created my own folders such as ‘aircraft’ but MFS does not recognize any of the contents. The aircraft addon just disappears from MFS.

It does seem like there should be a very simple solution to creating accessible folders in community folder for addons.

The bigger problem is: The Loading time if you have a big community folder!
And that is going fast because of the wonderful mods out there. My folder was over 60 GB, and i was waiting over 30 min. until i was in the main menu, and that every time i start the sim. And yes, im using a SDD.
Now i delete everything and only keep the airport addons, now 10 GB and round about 3 min. to the main menu.

The devs had to improve this,otherwise buying an addon makes no sense. For example the free Paderborn Airport from Aerosoft has 5 GB in that folder. So you can imagine, 10 Airport and we are back at waiting half an hour or more.

Finally I found a solution to organize the Community folder by changing the name of the folders addons according to their content. After while I think its not bad idea to keep all addons in same folder that help to have good overview by different sorting.

1 Like

I changed my folders name with the country in first. It will be easier if I want to move the other countries that I will not fly to another folder for faster loading of FS2020.

2 Likes

Adding country name first for airports, airfields and scenery sounds like a good idea and simple.

Did you add ‘livery’ name to all your liveries folders? Did that create any problems?

Now I put contient names before country and I move sceneries in their appropriate folder if I dont fly them. For liveries I let for now in the Community folder because could be complicate to select what I want as livery before I load fs2020. Im not sure they have real impact on the loading time.

Here examples of my Community folders :