Can't move Flight Simulator to another SSD. Error code 0x80070005

No, I’m talking about the ownership of some folders and/or files of the sim itself only.
Wich version of MSFS ?

I actually have the packages one folder down from the drive root so as yet I might be using adminstrative privilages but I would be happy to move them to my user files, it shouldn’t be a problem.

If you want to do a test of what I’m talking about, use an MS Store version of the sim installed on Win10.
Make a copy of the MSFS folders wich are on the system drive and another copy of the InstallPackages folder if the install is made on an other drive.
After that, explore your copies and look at how many folders are empty.
This because you don’t have the ownership on them.
And no warning message during the copy.
Again, wich version of MSFS do you use ?

Your point was

I know you have to reinstall the sim but that is very small compared to the huge scenery and mod files which you only need to transfer over or even just link to.
As for your last point, I had to download a couple of updates in content manager, nothing big though… And it’s the Standard edition btw. … And before you ask any mods that need an installer were uninstalled before the move so I am not faced with any problems.

If you are talking about the sceneries and mods in Community folder, that’s not the point here. It’s an evidence you just have to copy them.
We are talking about the fact you have to reinstall the SIM, the complete downloading. Because with MS Store versoin you can’t simply copy the files OF THE SIM (not the Community folder !)
And I didn’t ask for Standard/Premium or Deluxe EDITION,
I asked the VERSION you use: MS Store, DVD or Steam ?

Yes I have the store version and I never once said you don’t need to reinstall the sim.
As I said that took about twenty minutes rather than hours waiting for the packages.

I actually like the process because it keeps me up to date with no problems or CTDs

I stop here.
What you’re saying is a complete nonsense.
You can’t copy all the necessary files from a previous install, so you have to download them. I doubt it takes you only twenty minutes.
(And I’m not talking about files in Community folder)

Could have been 30 min but I doubt it. However it is only about 20GB plus some minor updates from the content manager and I have a very solid 50Mbps connection = 3 GB per minute if it was a constant stream.

Just show me where I said I copied a single program file over? … That’s right I didn’t, not even once. I’m only guessing you don’t understand that “Official” is also a package file that can be easily transferred rather than having to be downloaded again.

Honestly I suggest you read properly before jumping down someone’s throat. If you still want to call me a liar I can video a complete fresh install come the next update. In fact I will do that just to help others understand how easy it is.

I mentioned the latest version of MSFS, but I think you wanted to know where I bought it from. My MSFS 2020 is from the MS store. After the transfer of files to the new drive, never had a problem with any of my programs including MSFS. I have no idea how my computer guy did it.

i’m looking at replacing my venerable 256gb nvme drive (it was hot stuff when i bought it) with a 2TB unit

does anyone know for sure if it possible to move the game between drives? or will i end up with a broken game?

the idea is that the new drive will have the same drive letter as the actual one

EDIT—
uoopps! resurrected a defunct thread, sorry

Here is a list of related topics to what you re looking for, hope some can answer your question:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?q=move%20drive%20%23user-support-hub%20in%3Atitle

I moved this topic to the User Support Hub Install, Performance & Graphics since support related.

Clone the existing 256 GB drive to the new drive.
Remove the old 256 GB drive or change the drive letter. (format it)
Install the new drive.

Adjust new drives drive letter to what it was if needed. (Windows Disk Management)

unfortuntely i can’t (at least i think i can’t) because i have only one nvme slot, so i can only have one at a time,
i was thinking of copying mfs to my C drive, replace the nvme with the new one, and copy again

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-do-i-move-just-the-community-folder-from-default-to-new-location-ssd-nvme-new-pc/411791/2?u=tenpatrol

2 Likes