Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation

Please submit all this, including photos, to Carenado.

1 Like

What are you going on about?

I have submitted photos and description of the issue to Carenado. I’m not optimistic about a speedy response, but at least this plane is fun to fly again. It’s really not bad all the way to 12,000 feet. After that it is more work than fun.

3 Likes

7-10k is the happy place for sure. Not sure why one would want to go for 20k in it? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

because it can, and because I want to play with the big boys.

thanks man.
maybe we’ll get there yet.

I mean, it has a built in oxygen feed (pilots left side wall).

To get any sort of performance over 10,000 feet you need some sort of pressure normalisation, usually a turbo charger. There is simply not enough air at altitude for normally aspirated engines like the M20R. Hence the turbo version of the M20R that Mooney sold.

Simple fact, the standard M20R in real life can get to altitude but it will struggle. For reasonable performance at altitude you need the turbo model.

For PC Users - there is a turbo mod to convert our MSFS normal M20R to the turbocharged version, though I have not personally tried it the reviews of it are very good. Darshonaut already posted it above, but here it is again:

2 Likes

Here is the response I received from Carenado:

Carenado Support, Jan 26, 2023, 09:04 GMT-3:
Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, it is a known issue with the sim that mixture doesn’t adjust to the turbo aircraft parameters, we already report them this issue.
We adjusted the setting the closest as possible to the manual.

Regards,

Carenado.

I have tried the Turbo mod from Flightsim.to, but not since the update. The initial release was a bit overpowered, but there was an update to the Turbo mod prior to the MSFS update that tamed it down a bit. I have not tried the Turbo mod since the Carenado update, but that is my next step, given the unlikely hood of any help from Carenado.

2 Likes

They have responded pretty quickly and given a useful explanation
 I think I’d call that help even though it doesn’t solve tthe issue.

3 Likes

the turbo mod adds too much power
 unfortunately.

Agreed, but the choice right now is underpowered, overpowered, or stay below 12,000. A third choice, if one is disciplined about the settings, the turbo mod, which was updated about a year ago, allows proper settings for the altitude, if one is careful not to “overboost” the engine.

1 Like

if the turbo mod would accurately reflect the power of an m20r with a turbo, i’d be all for it.

otherwise I’m glad to have a functioning mooney back, and hope that Carenado (or, in this case, MSFS?) will fix the remaining issues soon.

Meh since I’m worth in excess of $50 billion based on my airplane collection, $100b if I factor in my 600+ car collection, I just don’t let stuff like this bug me. If I need to fly a route over 20k, I just dust off something else, because I usually want to go higher and faster, or go twin. I spent a couple hours with the Mooney yesterday, after comprehensively changing my default cockpit and other custom views and tweaking a custom control profile. Took off and headed down to the coast and landed 8 times at random airports on the way. I averaged about 9500’ and it was quite wonderful in beta, no ctds. Great plane like like their bonanza for kickin’ it in style VFR. Even the mighty Kodiak becomes a chore at over 14k. But the baron I only see as high altitude IFR ga, don’t really feel like sight seeing or challenging landings in it, I feel like playing with instruments in it. So I guess if one is maybe a real M20 owner and wants to have it be the only plane in the simulation, then sure I would break in and modify it myself and change my entire control setup to match it. It’s $20, and if you want to land on each Hawaiian island in one go, it’s pretty great for it.

4 Likes

The image below is taken directly from the M20R POH. Bottom line? The aircraft - even on a very hot day - should still climb at roughly 400 fpm @ 12,000 feet.

The Carenado model will not climb past 12,000 feet. As originally released, the model did not have that limitation. Carenado releases seem to be fine at the time of release but slowly degrade with each update made to the sim. This model remains fundamentally broken.

It might be interesting that in June 2022 I had tested the then up-to-date version 1.5.1 against the old version at several altitudes both with ROP and LOP settings:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mooney-m20r-ovation-review-msfs-2020-by-carenado/280118/256?u=hahrg

The comparison table (between 1.5.1 and older) mentioned in that comment can be reached directly from here: M20R Preformance comparison

I will try to compare the new version with that later, similar to what @MadMac388th did.

2 Likes

Also still in November 2020 I summarized the performance data of the early version in a detailed post in another topic. This might be interesting here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mooney-m20r-basic-information/277840/807?u=hahrg

1 Like

Well, let’s remember, you can only achieve 75% power up to 8,000 ft on a standard day.
Up to about 16,000 ft, you should be able to get 55% power at max throttle, and after that you’re around 45% power. These numbers are from the M20R POH.

Here’s a great chart. They don’t even bother saying how long it takes to get to 20,000 ft

And they only chart to 14,000 ft at 3200 lbs

Be sure to check your OAT when comparing
 I don’t know how well MSFS changes the air temp as altitude increases on a standard day

3 Likes

You are not setting your mixture correctly. After 10000ft there is little oxygen. You can dial in the mixture very accurately in this mod by watching the Exhaust Gas Temps.

1 Like

Which according to that chart takes 45 minutes at 3200 lbs if OAT is ISA .

2 Likes