Cessna L-19 BirdDog Update 1.6 Available

https://simulatedaviation.com/cessna-l-19-bird-dog-review-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

2 Likes

I asked the guy if he reported the error to BBS or ASOBO - ANSWER WAS NO! I asked him if he tried another landing - ANSWER WAS NO! How can that be investigated by anyone? There are literally hundreds of such errors in this Simulation. You would think a reasonable person would just try it one more timeā€¦

1 Like

I also own it and have done so many water landings on max realism without any issues I lost count. But it crashed for him and he doesnā€™t edit his videoā€™s so thatā€™s that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If thatā€™s your position, fine- but bear in mind, you yourself have admitted you donā€™t own the model. I do. And I donā€™t need to be the developer to see for myself what works and what doesnā€™t.

Look, my friend- I stand to gain nothing by speaking positively about this little plane and itā€™s authors, except that for reasons I have difficulty understanding, a whole crowd of people have chosen to crucify this plane and the company in a way I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve ever seen since I started flying simulators way back in 1982. The Kitfox didnā€™t even come in for this much flak, and itā€™s flaps donā€™t even work! I realize one of the devs has an unfortunate ā€œbedside mannerā€ and likes to argue with his customers. He should stop. The plane still has problems. They should be fixed. But when someone sees fit to post a video of a review from 3 versions ago on a new thread, itā€™s an agenda- and the majority of nay-sayers here are basing their opinions on that very video, plus the conclusions of people like yourself who by your own admission donā€™t even own the plane. Is that really fair? If you donā€™t want to buy the model, donā€™t. But give the guys a break for Peteā€™s sake.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s false. The review showed that trying a water landing at around 60mph the plane got too much stress.

The autor of the review said later he could do a water landing the next day with the same version. Isnā€™t it @trevoC655 ?

2 Likes

Personally, if I was a developer whoā€™d just released a product, and had a fundamental issue raised in a video review, Iā€™d be investigating further myself, regardless of whether Iā€™d had a formal bug report. What I absolutely wouldnā€™t be doing is arguing with customers and potential customers on a public forum.

The developerā€™s behaviour has been utterly unprofessional, and can only ever serve to make purchases less likely. Iā€™d have thought that anyone who actually cared about the product (which, if people can be convinced is working properly, and is worth the purchase price, has great potential) might employ their time better in trying to persuade said developer to stay off the forums, and concentrate on improving the product.

9 Likes

I agree with you point for point here. The only caveat is that I do believe, based on subsequent releases, that they have been ā€œinvestigating further themselves.ā€ Maybe our definitions of ā€œinvestigatingā€ differ somewhat, and thatā€™s OK . :+1:t2:

I generally find ā€œinvestigatingā€ is more effective when not spending time in forums trying to discredit a fair review though, a review thatā€™s been proven pretty accurate considering the amount of changes thatā€™s had to be made post-release.

3 Likes

Moral of this storyā€¦ Donā€™t release half-baked products if you donā€™t want bad reviews.

9 Likes

@Cercate, you are correct but I donā€™t think overstress was the true reason. I have landed it flapless onto choppy water at 80mph on max realism settings without any issues at all. In fact I lost count how many takeoff and landings I did in all types of water. It looked to me to be a one off error from the SIM that has not been reproduced and probably never will.

I did see a bug report where aircraft crashed on a lake where the altitude was negative but that bug was fixed in latest ASOBO update.

Bottom line is we may never know why it crashed until someone reproduces the error.

@ThatAJWGuy, the over stress error captured in that video is very strange indeed. I have never experienced it in hundreds of water landings and nobody else has posted a video or a single report of the same error. You canā€™t investigate that, it needs steps to reproduce it and the author of the video pretty much refused saying it wasnā€™t his job to report it.

Please remember this is a simulation that has literally hundreds of unexplained bugs - donā€™t try the map key on the latest version! :slight_smile:

Sure, we can all aspire to enjoy a perfect aircraft in an imperfect simulation but in the meantime this aircraft is serious fun.

1 Like

It would be fine for a developer to state that having investigated an issue, they were unable to replicate it. What isnā€™t remotely acceptable in my view, from anyone wishing to present themselves as a professional developer, is to accuse someone of posting content to ā€œMISLEAD AND MISINFORMā€ because they donā€™t like the content of a review.

My first comment in regard to this Bird Dog model was in response to off-topic commentary about another product, for another simulation, from this developer. In that, I stated that I thought it best to wait until products were released before assessing them. A post which NightMercury358 chose to tag with a ā€˜likeā€™. My next post was a simple enquiry as to where a ā€˜testimonialā€™ on the developerā€™s website for the newly released product came from. Given that the reply seemed to indicate that said ā€˜testimonialā€™ came from someone personally known to the developer, I suggested that Iā€™d prefer to see independent commentary. Which attracted a snide personal attack. If you really think this sort of behaviour is remotely acceptable, I can only say I donā€™t, and since you and I clearly have different ideas as to what constitutes valid comment in a discussion concerning a paid product, I will treat the rest of your comments on the subject accordingly. And ignore them.

8 Likes

I only see the 32 and 64 bit for the Little Bird for P3D V5, how do we update the 2020 version?

Thank you

As much as Iā€™d like to stay out of this thread, Iā€™m going to have to chime in here.

@CirrusFlyer23 who said quote: " You canā€™t investigate that, it needs steps to reproduce it and the author of the video pretty much refusedā€¦"

This is just incorrect. they key words here are ā€œpretty muchā€, in other words, that was his observations.

The truth is, the developer never reached out to me to ask me about the errors or to reproduce it for him, both of which I actually offered to do in a thread available on this forum for anyone to read.

I also reject the idea that any video I made was intended to mislead or misinform anyone. Very much the opposite as the majority of this community has realized, BTW, Thanks for the support guys.

IN FACT, Iā€™ve even changed the title of that video to v1.1 so that NO ONE is misinformed. On top of that, I posted the changelog of what the developer proposed was going to be the fixes well before it was released in the top PINNED comment on the video and commended the developer for trying to fix these issues.

The truth that actually stands here IMO is that this product was released too early and is not on par with products of similar price (translation carenado mooney for instance). This is to date the only opinion Iā€™ve expressed on this plane.

If you have a differing opinion after being informed, thatā€™s great. If you enjoy this product, thatā€™s awesome. No one is trying to take that from you.

What I do disagree with is the actions by developers and cronies to lie and be deceitful and release an unfinished product and then blame myself and community implying that somehow we are to blame for their product.

As far as the v1.1 (the latest version until just recently with 1.2) I stand by the review and everything offered within it.

The changelog posted above a great start, but lets be clear on this, itā€™s only confirms the accuracy of the previously mentioned review and its content. How a developer can refer to me and my integrity within that review and then immediately provide fixes for the same items blows my mind.

I truly hope the above items are fixed in v1.2 and that the developer is working on the rest of them for v1.3. Time will tell.

15 Likes

@trevoC655

I also didnā€™t want to post again but the reason I did is that within just a few minutes of BBS posting an update that contains fixes, enhancements and additional liveries someone decided to post your video again although he knew it was out of date and contained a very damaging over stress error that leaves a lasting impression; in fact everything you said (good and bad) up to that point is immaterial as people have formed an incorrect opinion that this is an amphibian aircraft that cannot land on water. He then advises people to take a look even if the problems are fixed in the new version!

OK, Iā€™m sure you are happy with the additional views but MSFS is in its infancy and we need developers to bring us new aircraft but these actions are going to stop that in its tracks.

I appreciate you cant compel him to remove the post or the link, I just hope you see how people can use your IPR where I donā€™t think you would have.

CirrusFlyer: I also didnā€™t want to post again

But when you did, you decided to present me in a disingenuous light.

I will respond to your direct accusations about me, Iā€™m otherwise not interested in your comments. We all know where you stand with this product and developer.

6 Likes

@trevoC655, David - You accused me of some stuff that I found disingenuous too, but I have put that to one side now as we can, and should agree to differ.

As a tech alpha team member I reported numerous bugs in MSFS and I also reported many of the things you found wrong with the Bird Dog. Most of them are now fixed but Iā€™m asking BBS for more improvements too. I know some of the issues are down to ASOBO so we will have to wait for those to be fixed.

My point tonight was only about the inappropriate use of your video, thatā€™s all.

I respect you, and your opinion but I wonā€™t accept people that donā€™t have an opinion repeating and using stuff for the fun of it or to cause damage.

Cheers for now and good luck with the channel.

1 Like

Updated review for anyone interested! Itā€™s a big improvement and the devs would have a easier time if they just acknowledged they pushed a vastly unfinished product to the store rather than waiting a bit and ironing out the bugs. Thereā€™s no hurry, really.

IMHO itā€™s still not up to the asking price, but at least it works. Personally, Iā€™m staying away from any plane that doesnā€™t match 1:1 at least the stall speed characteristics because thatā€™s the easiest thing to simulate. I may be too used to DCS.

For everyone that wanted some floatplane action though, this seems the fastest way to fix that need.

13 Likes

Nice improvements !!!

With the fixes/improvements @trevoC655 says in his video, it would be a must buy for me.

1 Like

The video is not mine btw I just reposted it because I think every potential buyer should be well informed! Itā€™s @trevoC655 's video , which I found informative, well rounded out and well made enough to repost.

3 Likes