CFD is amazing

OK thanks, I tried turning it on and saw nothing. I also heard there was a definable control to turn it on and off so I went to the controls setup and it said cfd visuals were only when flying helicopters WTAF?

I’ve only got the cfd to work with the Cessna 172 g1000 not sure what if any other default craft use it? Have you tried that Cessna? Just tried the a320 like the above pic but no cfd there, think someone has changed a setting to enable that, which we on Xbox wouldn’t be able to do.

I’ll try the g1000 skyhawk. I was using the steam guage version. Oh there we go it works now so it’s just weird that the steam guage skyhawk isn’t cfd enabled. Kind of what even is the point of it then… Also odd that the control binding says helicopters only.

I think they were focusing on one single craft, tweaking that as a concept/test bed with a view to rolling it out to more default craft and which ever developers want to use it.

Assume in actually fact they could copy all the aerodynamics/physics model straight on to your steam Gauge version if they so wished with little fuss, assume they will over the coming weeks.

I guess/hoping that there’s lots of heli testing in-house, but don’t want to spoil the release of the 40th anniversary edition by letting us play with the “new toys”!

I think if people thought they’d be able to play with the new craft everyone would be on Beta all of a sudden.

Easy to see if it has or not - if you open the CFD window and the checkbox for “CFD simulation running” is already checked it’s enabled for this aircraft by default.

Anyway checking on the flightmodel.cfg which was modified last time on 8th July, it has no CFD in place.

1 Like

They definitely do downdraft though it seems the thermal visualisation only shows rising air movement. I flew a glider between two nearby strong thermals with a fairly stiff breeze blowing and I got caught in a major downdraft in between.

Not sure how realistic but its pretty cool, turbulence seems more controlled as well and only occurs as you fly though the thermal variations. I noticed my wing lifting on one side generally as I flew along the boundary of a thermal.

5 Likes

Some questions I had and can’t seem to find anything definitive in the release notes…

1) Is the CFD driven simulation of airflow within 20km cocoon around aircraft in this beta release?, or is that to come later in SU11?, post SU11?
2) Does the above in 1) only enable for aircraft that actually use/enable CFD? In the default fleet that’s only the C172 (glass-cockpit version) I believe… likely they’ll also enable for helicopters and gliders?
3) Are the new thermals and atmospheric airflow simulation and visualizations global regardless of aircraft being flown? I’d think the answer is yes, but was wondering if this has anything to do with or depends on 1)

Still have to tinker more to confirm, it looks like it’s in the code but not “on” by default currently. There is a debug menu for it in developer mode with a checkbox to re-inject it. Mainthread performance takes a pretty decent hit when enabling it, which tells me it likely is working but also why it’s not “On” yet.

1 Like
  1. 20km CFD is not implemented yet what i know of. Seb mentioned in a Q&A they work and testing that new feature. He never announced when it will be released.

2. This describes it well.

Here is the link to available aircraft with CFD enabled

1. Maybe there is some elements of CFD in those thermals (Asobo needs to answere i bet.) but that is ON for all aircraft
2 Likes

It seems odd that it would be turned off given its a headline feature of the update.

Potentially the refined thermal sim runs fine without it and the area cfd just generates the interactions between them?

Will need to do some more testing but would appreciate a word from the devs here.

Well, as i said in my main post. Having CFD running in real time should be much more cpu heavy. I can’t notice performance drop when it’s active. Some CFD models takes several hours to render in supercomputers (much more detailed though) and that will not be in real time. But what we have is really amazing. If we want more simulation aspects in the sim we need to sacrifice some cpu power. Would sacrifice some t-lod to have a much more detailed CFD model with turbulence included as well. This is called a simulator right?

This is what i imagine 20KM CFD convection. This 2d though. Think blue cold air and orange hot air.

3 Likes

I’m specifically talking about the atmospheric CFD and not the aicraft one, the aircraft CFD has little additional mainthread impact, I think the worst impact the debug tool has shown for that was around 8us. Whereas over a downtown metro area the atmospheric CFD debug has been showing a mainthread impact of around 4000us if I’m recalling it correctly.

Well, i have not compared that much. I bet the atmospheric CFD has more things to simulate. But that atmospheric CFD also makes the air we fly in come to life. It’s not fun to fly in a slideshow either but they should prioritize simulation over graphics in my opinion. In weather we do not have much options to choose from but graphics and such things we can always tune down or up if we want to. Maybe CFD on/off is always good to have then we can choose what we preffer :slight_smile: More or less what you said earlier :slight_smile: I agree with that.

Something good has changed in SU11, winds, turbulence, CFD, look I don’t want to say that it’s placebo effect but I just flew PAGY/PAHN/PAOH, and for the first time my C310 got stuck in very severe turbulence in clouds that the speed dropped to 80kt, 3000/4000 ft updraft, it stalled and I was able to recover 3000 ft below, it is the very first time that I got “scared” to crash in MSFS2020 due to the weather!
I was surprised that I took my smarphone and did try to film what happened on front of my eyes! (I’ll share it later)
I know that the weather is not the topic here but it looks the impact of the winds/gust etc works so much better the way it affects the envelop of the bird.
I’m not sure if they did unlock the up/downdraft by the way but for sure I never had such ones so far.
Voted!

6 Likes

Yes, something has changed to the better for sure :slight_smile: Best update since release together with su 10 (gusts) in my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m confused, Isn’t the atmospheric cfd always activated? And what is the lag is the debug lines which normally would be hidden.

1 Like

Definitely something has changed

Before filming my bird was flying through the clouds (CB) after T/O PAGY/PAHN/PAOH, and then got hit by a huge “convective” (“…” not sure sure if it’s implemented) but that crazy updraft was big somehow as I’ve never seen in MSFS, then a drastic loss of speed which included a stall in icing condition on top of that but it wasn’t the ice that put my plane in such “scary” place but the series of up and downdraft…
After recovering the PA was ON and couldn’t handle a second updraft even if it didn’t disconnected as it occures on tubes…
The worst of the turbulence is not on the video just because I coudn’t take my smarphone, too busy! :grin: :scream:

Yeap something good has changed for the right stuff!
What do you thing El Professor Perry? :wink:

17 Likes

That really felt scary. Seems like we have a purpose to avoid bad weather from now on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is exactly what I’m looking for Captain! Creating my flight plan based on the weather conditions of the day!
Still investigating SU11 but now it feels that some good stuff happens! :airplane: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

looks like the up & downdraft limitations are lifted a little bit :slight_smile:

1 Like