[BUG LOGGED] Color artifacts and rough gradient, clouds like oil painting

There have been some changes to the lighting in 1.18.15.0 HF2 that made the issue less noticeable, but if you take a close look in the “Random Screenshot Megathread 3” you can see it in many, if not most of the pictures.
Here’s a good example for the still cartoonish/painting-like look of the clouds:

Here’s a prime example for the color banding (in the upper half of the picture), also seen in many pictures all over the forum:

Another example for color banding would be the last two pictures in this posting, please notice especially the purple fringes in the sky.

Here’s my assessment:
I guess there have been changes to let the sim look more “dramatic”, to make it “pop”. These changes may include the colorspace or LUTs used within the sim. I assume that because users have confirmed my observation of purple/greenish/turquoise color fringes around clouds, a pink glow at the horizon that wasn’t present pre-SU5 and a difference in sunset colors, now trending in the shrill orange direction.
At least on my SDR (8-bit colordepth) monitor this has the adverse effect of purple fringes around clouds (esp. in the upper mid section of the pic):

or weird greenish/turquoise color “blobs” with a purple glow around, like here on the water behind the TBM:

As I mentioned, as usual there are many that see the issues, while others deny they exist, That’s why I chose pictures from other users to demonstrate that - once you see it - it is widespread! I have no difficulties finding many more examples posted after SU5, but I didn’t notice those in other threads with screenshots before said update.

I have reported the issue to Zendesk, #120181
Thanks for caring!

6 Likes