Computer shut down after loading MSFS [SOLVED]

Hade you time in meanwhile to made a test with only 2x16 memory sticks ?

650W should be enought… but it depends on power supply specs and of course , it can be faulty.

You can always calculate the minimal recommended PSU Wattage for your hardware config. I’ve punched in your config into my favourite online calculator: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - PSU Calculator - Build 7dG1tc

The recommended Wattage is 481 W. But keep in mind, you need some headroom to not overstress the PSU, and in case you want to upgrade some parts, it’s always good to have some reserves.

Furthermore, combining RAM is not recommended. This may cause issues (like you’re experiencing now) and may even slow down your system, as only the lowest speed of the RAM combo is used. Say one stick of the 4 has only 1600MHz and the fastest would be say 3600MHz, you’d be running on 1600MHz on all four slots. And you’re not taking advantage of dual channel in your current config. Also not to forget, if all slots are occupied, heat may become an issue as RAM is usually only cooled passively. You’re air cooled, so your CPU cooler sits right above the slots, so heat easily accumulates in that area.

I’d recommend you to buy a RAM kit with 2 sticks at your desired speed and size. I’m on Kingston Fury 32GB @ 3200Mhz. Running perfectly fine.

1 Like

Hello MichaMMA, i just did it this morning without the two 8Go stick.

At first flight A320 FbW LFPG-LFLL (whom i have a city scenery in photogrammetry) at my surprise it didn’t crash.

I did the flight, landed in Lyon, and two minutes after “block-on”… shut down…

I tried at KMYF with the mooney from carenado, it didn’t crash neither (same airport and aircraft few days ago, It shuted down). i landed in KSAN. all good. and i tried to change to the 320FbW in ksan, and my computer shuted down during loading.

Hello @AmbitiousPilots !

Thanks for your Help.
I don’k know what thats worth but this morning i found this:

3070 is the penultimate:

1 Like

don’t know who created this image, but these colors are a bit pesimistic. Nvidias recommendation for 3070 is 650W and this is already with buffer. To be realy sure I would recommended to buy a 750W for your system, not less 700. But with a good quality 650W power-supply it should also be possible. As said: it depends on power supply quality.

May be you have/had two issues… that with the RAM and the power supply.

EDIT: question: which graphicscard model you own ? fancy pre-overclocked cards, can have much higher power consume.

Big point here, all power supplies are not created the same.

This is why we have SO MANY rating for them.

80 plus, Gold, Platinum, Silver, Titanium, Bronze.

You really want a high rated brand name unit, Cosair, EVGA, Seasonic, Asus, SuperFlower, Gigabyte all make quality units to name a few.

2 Likes

Have you ever tried to reinstal the sim?

please not… this will not fix PC shutdown / reboot issues :wink:

3 Likes

The OP used to simulates, other like DCS runs normally. It is not a hardware problem.

What I would mention is, that loading the same bits and bytes again on your disc, will change nothing.

Some guesses:

why he not run in DCS into the memory problem ?

• DCS don’t request this amount of RAM ( normal is a max 20GIG commited range ) like MSFS and so he comes former possible not in the danger memory area

why possible comes a PSU issue on top ?

• this is a realy good question. But also here creates DCS another kind of system load, also for the CPU. Maybe there is a little difference which trigger the problem.
    ( Example: in DCS the load is at the GPU 3D engine. In MSFS, without HAGS enabled, you have to choose Graphics_1 engine to see the load. Not realy sure about the effects behind. ).

On other side we can per online diagnose of course not be 100% sure, that the PSU cause the reboot / shutdown. But, beside of a GPU which is overhead, I had no other thing in mind. Drives are up2date…

A lot of cheap off brand PSU’s might not be up to doing the job as a name brand PSU would. I am not familiar with your brand of PSU so I can’t say if it’s good enough to do the job. I just know that your issue is more than likely the PSU.

Hello guys,

Sorry for the delay i was a bit busy the last few days. I went yestrerday to the guys who made my computer and we changed the PSU afetr several test to isolate the problem, and we managed to make the sim shut down the pc. We changed the PSU and until now, all is ok, pc haven’t crash anymore.
I hope this was the real problem and if i don’t post more message on this topic, that mean that the psu was the issue.
By the way, thank you all for your help and your support. I wish you a lot of good flights!

4 Likes

LOL and now that you can fly again you cant because you have to download the new update…Congrats

1 Like

no worry… more thanks for reporting back.

PS.: don’t forget, if no longer shutdowns/reboots, to mark your post as ‘solution’ , so others can quickly find :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Thalixt, I’m in the same boat . Everything works well on my PC (including DCS) untill I fire up MSFS2020 - my pc shuts down with a crack :frowning:

I have used MSF since day one & found that their updates continually create problems that we have to sort out ourselves…

After this last update, I’m now getting these shutdowns. I did follow your advice regarding replacing the PSU - I’ve installed a Seasonic 850W (Focus) & have an AMD RX 5700 XT & 16gb RAM.

it could be my GPU overheating, as I hear the fans maxing out, &, the temps show as 114. So, that’s my next step cool down the GPU…

My pc still shuts down - even with this new power supply…

Have you checked the Windows Reliability Report?

Do you mean event viewer…

No, there is a separate tool that indicates system stability, but it does source data from the event logs.

Topic Owner has posted solution.