Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

I’m using the SU9 Live build (1.26.5.0), not an insider test build. I’m also using my personal home PC from my house. As far as MSFS knows, I’m a regular player just like any of you, not an employee.

What I’m hoping to achieve is to determine what variables are provoking the CTD to help narrow down where to troubleshoot.

If it is indeed a server issue, then it should be affecting all players, but it’s clearly not. Even if it occurs entirely at random, surely I would have encountered the crash at least once in over 15 hours of test flying since Saturday. Many people in this thread are posting that they get this CTD almost immediately or can’t fly for more than 15 minutes without crashing. What are the variables between the people who are crashing frequently and those whose sims are rock stable? We’re using the same client code and connecting to the same servers, but some players have an unstable sim that is constantly crashing and others are not experiencing this CTD at all. Also, Xbox players use the same servers as PC players, and they appear to be completely unaffected by this issue. If there’s a problem with the servers, then why aren’t Xbox players also affected by it?

Is the CTD caused by online services such as Live Weather, Multiplayer, Bing Data, and Photogrammetry as many have theorized in this thread? Again, I have about 15 hours of flying time in the last few days with all online functionality enabled and haven’t had a single crash. Maybe I’ve just gotten extremely lucky, but you’d think I would have been hit by this CTD at least once by now.

SPECULATIVE STATEMENTS FOLLOW. THIS IS NOT A DEFINITIVE OR AUTHORITATIVE ANSWER. DO NOT TREAT IT AS SUCH.

Based on the information I’ve gathered from everyone’s helpful posts in this thread and my own personal testing, I’m inclined to think the root cause is not with the MSFS client or servers. If it was, then everyone would be suffering from these CTDs, but there are currently many players, myself included, who are totally unaffected. My personal speculation is that the root cause is some combination of the following variables:

• Windows updates that some players have installed and others don’t
  • Antivirus and/or firewall software
  • Network/routing issues somewhere between a player’s ISP and the MSFS servers
  • Addons/mods

Of course, it could be something else entirely. Maybe there is a server-side problem, but it’s very interesting indeed that not everyone is impacted by it.

END SPECULATIVE STATEMENTS.

10 Likes