Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

There are several different crashes going being described in this thread and while it is possible that they all are related by root cause they are at face value different issues. It isn’t clear from this thread whether there really is a significant problem that just has materialized because most of the comments aren’t strictly useful towards identifying a single issue. The best thing anyone who is experiencing problems can do is post their Event Viewer logs to this thread. That will provide some indication here as to whether there is a widespread issue that can be addressed. The next best thing is to post as many details you can about your environment, what you were doing when the crash occurred, etc. If this is an issue that is some sort of component problem that can be addressed on the end-user side, doing this may help isolate the cause. Without Event Viewer logs though, it is impossible to know whether a given report is the same issue that others are experiencing.

The first thing that is interesting in the Event Viewer log is the Exception code. Exception code: 0xc0000005 is an access violation, which means MSFS tried to access an addres in a page of memory that didnt’ belong to it. For those who are experiencing that issue, the address being accessed is important. Some are seeing attempts to access 0x00000000, which is never going to be a valid address. Usually, this error occurs because code is assuming that it is getting a valid address, so it doesn’t bother to check. Sometimes identifying the root cause of the problem can be non-trival.

Others are crashing with 0xc0000005 on attempts to access 0xFFFFFFFF. As someone earlier pointed out, in decimal this is -1. These crashes are typically caused by overflow/underflow errors where integral values wrap around. In any case, this is a different issue.

Exception code: 0xc0000374 is heap corruption, which is yet another issue. In that case, a legitimate block of memory allocated in the application has been stomped on.

As far as reports with the same Exception code go, they are only definitively the same issue if, in addition to having both the same Exception code (and in the case of memory exceptions, the same memory address) they also have the same Fault offset. The Fault offset identifies the memory address of the instruction that caused the issue relative to the memory location where the application was actually loaded. If the Fault offset is different, it is a different crash. The one caveat here is that if different versions are being used (i.e. beta vs ship), there is no way of knowing from the Event viewer log alone whether the crashes reflect the same issue.

Additionally, the Faulting application name and Faulting module name must match. If the call stack is different, it is technically a different crash, but more than likely it is the same root cause. A crash in module ntdll.dll is not the same as a crash in module flightsimulator.exe.

As I said, if you want to help Asobo, pasting the event log is the most useful thing that can be done in this thread. What Asobo can do with that information is locate the line of code that is generating the exception, which will hopefully allow them to hypothesize about the cause of the crash in order to track it down. They can locate the line of code either by just loading MSFS up in the debugger, or they can use the /LINK switch to generate a map file which will correllate the offset to code.

That said, unless this thread coalesces into a whole bunch of people reporting the same event log, I doubt this is going to gain much traction. If something changed on a server, I’d expect bug report numbers commensurate with usage. Speaking of which, if your event log contains a bucket number, then the crash has been reported at least to Microsoft. If Asobo has access to that data, then they will already know if there is a major crashing bug in the wild.

4 Likes

Do you have any mods installed? If so, which one(s)?
Lots, but nothing has been updated recently.
What plane were you flying?
Fenix, 414AW
What were your departure and arrival airports?
WBKK to VVTS 2x, EGPF no destination planned.
Did you have live weather enabled?
Yes
Did you have live traffic enabled?
Yes
Are you on SU9 or SU10 beta?
SU9
Are you using DX11 or DX12?
DX11
What is your GPU and what driver version are you using?
2070, up to date.
Are you on Windows 10 or 11?
Win10

Well I managed a few 30 minute flights today without a crash then it just suddenly did it about 5 mins into a flight. Seems to always happen as I’m moving the camera around quickly. Could be another coincidence though.

Really interesting breakdown. However I think there is no denying the fact that something must have changed on Asobos end if this many people are having some form of CTD that is massively out of character for their sim.

Just got another CTD, this time with Live Weather disabled (in Data options). Updated my report above.

May be a red herring. My latest CTD was a test I basically flew in the 414AW for EGPF. Runway 23, then heading 135 and FL200 set.
I let it fly, with no other interaction (other than initial MP and Prop adjustments for cruise)
1 1/2 hour in, the tell-tale sound stutter and CTD over the English Channel.

Not sure what the reason is. Just finished my first flight without CTD in a while, disabled live wheather in the General Options → Data section.

1 Like

yep, therefore is the topics heading changed to “ntdll” . Thats what we expect that it is the “new” issue ( " ntdll.dll / 0xc0000374 " / also because all point to same error-offset ). Thats seemingly the only relevant error which users get, which since ‘years’ never seen a CTD. ( for the “memory…” issue is another topic )

@Baracus250
yes,… the issue is not realy reproducable at same position / same amount of time in air. I fly the same route and it ctd at realy different places.

Currently I’am again in the air, same route… I found an intressting post within the P3D forum with exact same error and user reported “remove shaders” was helpfull. So, that I did and now I exiding what will happen… ( I’am realy not sure about that, but who knows :rofl: )

Hello @Majjistral,

Members of the CM team (myself and my colleague @Jummivana) posted in this thread multiple times yesterday. The topic itself has been tagged with feedback-logged. I have been reading every reply in this topic and am closely monitoring the situation. We have also escalated this issue internally to our support teams.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

22 Likes

Hard to say. Something may have changed for the people getting crashes, but there isn’t enough data yet to know what and whether there is a single, widespread issue that is affecting people. There are lots of moving parts–even with MSFS itself and things are always getting updated locally. The X-Box architecture (on the PC) is nightmare of services and device drivers that all can contribute to these kinds of issues and ntdll.dll is a wrapper for system calls, so I’d be looking for a lower-level cause for those issues. Plus you have Windows updates and video driver updates in the mix. Way too many moving parts to easily track down. I’m not experiencing CTDs at the moment (even with GSX, FSUIPC and a whole bunch of other add-ons), but I feel for the folks that are. There are no good ways available to the end user to track these problems down.

1 Like

Second flight today without CTD without “LIVE WEATHER” set off in general settings of MSFS. Hope it will help you.
Good luck

Been plagued with CTDs this past week. Particularly this one flight I keep trying to do always crashes either during cruise or near the approach airport. Both airports load in fine separately with no issues. Ive now attempted this flight 4 times with no luck. I always receive these same errors from the event viewer. Yesterday just 1 time I had a CTD which did not appear in the event viewer.

Windows 10
MSFS Steam Version
Fenix A320
SKSP - SKPE
Live Weather + All Players Multiplayer On (no AI traffic)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001ec7fa8
Faulting process ID: 0x6a68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b56c554c973e
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: e130a704-9b19-433d-9bdd-6ea4de6aabc9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Fault offset: 0x00000000021422a3
Faulting process ID: 0x3bec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b493ce262ef7
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 3b86ce3f-fc96-49aa-9f43-5c6b2edafa57

Faulting module name: CoherentGTCore.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x621cebbb
Fault offset: 0x000000000043d92e
Faulting process ID: 0x47f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b3e988182645
Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\CoherentGTCore.dll
Report ID: 039b3a38-61d3-46d1-a91b-3015b537fe0c

Fault offset: 0x0000000001ed8e70
Faulting process ID: 0x26b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b32e60a1eb1b
Report ID: 1a34b8f3-4b51-43d9-925e-d2dd5ee82b6f

Glad to see i’m not alone in this recent amount of CTDs that have appeared out of nowhere.

I appreciate the reply and it is a fair point however I would disagree with that. With the same pointer to the same dll causing the issue with the 347 error code. Something has to have changed on asobos side to cause it. I have seen so many people state that their sim has ran fine for a long time, they havent had an WIN updates or nvidia/amd driver updates. Anecdotal as it may be, its a loud anecdote to say the least.

2 Likes

During my livestream today I got 3 CTDs

• with no trace of GSX (it’s not GSX)
  • Live Weather and Online Services ON

I then turned Online Services to OFF and also re-installed GSX and was able to complete a full flight. I think Karty has hit the nail on the head with this one. Something has affected the Online Services within MSFS - rather unfortunately at the same time GSX launched causing many people to rage unfairly at Umberto.

Just read further up that the Tech Team from MSFS have been reading this thread which is good to see also.

9 Likes

FWIW, I did a 2.5 hour flight in the PMDG 737 without any CTDs. This is with all the online options ticked, like I normally have. I don’t know why some people are getting them continuously and others never (like myself). I’m not convinced it’s related to the online services, as the random nature of these CTDs can make it hard to come to an actual cause and effect.

After completing 2 flights without CTD yesterday (never had an CTD before since I’m on MSFS since June), today I got a CTD, too.

(Windows 10, Steam Version, Add-Ons: Fenix A320 with Add-on Airports, no GSX, Live Weather / bing data turned on, no Live Traffic)

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.26.5.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 10.0.19041.1806, Zeitstempel: 0x1000a5b9
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000ff609
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1ae0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d8b53db7dcccad
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: M:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Berichtskennung: a500266c-2076-4b3d-b8d8-242f69801711
*Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: *
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

After that I tried another flight, this time with live weather off, and I was able to sucessfully complete the flight after 1,5h.

None of us know what’s causing it but when people who never have issues are experiencing CTD after CTD, its highly unlikely that this group of people just happen to have experienced some sort of hardware failure at the exact same time frame running just this one application. It is more likely that something external is the cause.

The reality is that the sim is unstable in some ways, memory related issues for example continue to be a problem and there is no way for end users to even begin to trace what has gone wrong and why either.

5 Likes

This is a problem with Windows OS in general. It’s layers on top of layers. Basically still just DOS behind it all. Macs are so much more stable!

1 Like

No question that there is a heap corruption bug (which may or may not be caused by Asobo), but having read through this thread, I know that you are getting it and hobanagerik and maybe a few more, but beyond that? This thread purports to describe a massive issue that everyone is suddenly having. However, what I suspect is that there is a bit of groupthink going on as everyone who is encountering crashes is contributing to this thread without understanding whether they have the same issue.

This isn’t an “I’m getting crashes too” thread, folks. If you don’t know how to confirm that you are encountering the specific heap corruption error in ntdll.dll, then don’t post here.

3 Likes

Had two CTD`s in a row while trying to fly from EFHK to EETU. Both happened in the same location while entering the Estonian airspace. Plane was FBW A32NX. Live weather on. The event viewer says the same as all the others, faulty model is ntdll.dll in System32 folder.