Control Drone camera with mouse or joystick?

Right on spot man !

+1

I’ve been waiting since August for somebody to ask about this - the traditional and most intuitive way of controlling drone-type cameras’ translation with WASD keys, and the rotation with the mouse while holding the right mouse button (or by using the hat-switch)…all of that including the camera translation going towards the point the camera is aimed at.

It is a bit odd that it hasn’t it been implemented, but I might make a small mod for the drone camera the traditional way:

public class FirstPersonCam : MonoBehaviour {

public float speedH = 2.0f;
    public float speedV = 2.0f;

private float yaw = 0.0f;
    private float pitch = 0.0f;

void Update () {
        yaw += speedH * Input.GetAxis("Mouse X");
        pitch -= speedV * Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y");

transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(pitch, yaw, 0.0f);
    }
}

Although I have just begun today.
Also, let’s not forget the good old flyby view that’s still nowhere to be found within the MSFS2020 ! :slight_smile:

It actually exists in the simulator since the beta days, but still not configured to appear in any menu nor anywhere.
For anyone willing to try it out, you can find all default predefined existing camera views in:

…\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\cameras.cfg

Open it with Notepad++ (careful not to change/break anything) and you’ll see the [CameraDefinition.005] is the flyby view - it even has its GUID !
With the SDK in dev mode with some trial and error with the view positioning it is possible to copy that flyby definition to the custom views config file of any plane you enjoy - for example the classic Cessna 172’s custom views are in:

…\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_classic\cameras.cfg

if somebody skilled with programming comes along and gets a brilliant 5 minute solution for these, then it would be pretty.

2 Likes