CTD entering VR from Main Menu

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No.

Brief description of the issue:

Launch the sim to main menu. Click switch to VR. Crash. No OpenXR Toolkit enabled. DX12 and DLSS enabled.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Launch the sim to main menu. Click switch to VR mode.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

High end PC with HP G2.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Are you using DX12?

Yes.

Are you using DLSS?

Yes

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

This behaviour is not consistent. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it loads. So, I went in and out of VR at the Main Menu a few times until I received this memory error.

yes, exactly the same issue. Using windows 11, Ryzen 9 9500 CPU, Nvidia 3080 GPU

Turned on DLSS and DX12, VR worked twice but then after I restarted MSFS again and tried to enter VR from main menu, I experienced a CTD. I turned DX12 off and tried again and it worked fine. I I tried turning DX12 back on again twice but with the same effect.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons: 2282594445589555784 (also 1692093887638332176 dwm.exe crashed at the same time, although not sure if this is related).

For me, for the two times VR worked when using DX12 it appeared to make a big difference. Unfortunately, after two attemps, MSFS will not enter VR when DX12 is turned on, it just crashed to desktop everytime. If i turn DX12 it’s fine. No issues at all with DLSS, although I see almost no improvement (maybe 1-2 fps). Hopefully DX12 can get sorted and maybe tweaked a little when SU10 is fully released as for me it appears to make a big difference in VR (when it worked).

I beleive I have discovered the problem. I was using OpenXR Toolkit when I had DX12 enabled but the OpenXR Toolkit isn’t yet compatible with DX12. When I turned it off, it worked fine with DX12.

Don’t use OpenXR Tookit with DirectX12 because that will cause instant CTD. Disable the OpenXR Tooklit

1 Like

I had 3 CTD crashes without any message, during a session test with VR and DirectX 12 beta
(3 tries, 3 CTDs)
I don’t have Open XR Toolkit installed.
When I went back to Directx11 everything went well in VR

Nom de l’application défaillante FlightSimulator.exe, version : 1.27.9.0, horodatage : 0x00000000
Nom du module défaillant : D3D12Core.dll, version : 10.0.22000.653, horodatage : 0x8e94bfa8
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00000000000e7e97
ID du processus défaillant : 0x1f14
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d898594c14b036
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\D3D12Core.dll
ID de rapport : d4eb3818-c6ad-4fd5-8ad5-d074cf1d507f
Nom complet du package défaillant : Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant : App

Détecteur d’erreurs 1392414440065030648, type 5
Nom d’événement : MoAppCrash
Réponse : Non disponible
ID de CAB : 0

Signature du problème :
P1 : Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2 : praid:App
P3 : 1.27.9.0
P4 : 00000000
P5 : D3D12Core.dll

I get a CTD when I activate VR in SU10 with DX12 and DLSS enabled as well. I do not have the OpenXR Toolkit mod installed. I just freezes soon as I try to activate it and then closes MSFS after a few seconds. Tried taking DLSS off and same issue. Going back to DX11 now and see if it works for me there.

Using Reverb G2 on RTX 3090.

yeh same here, its not consistent tho one time itll crash next it wont.
xropen toolkit turned off with DX12 so its not that, it behaves slighty better if FS is at main menu point before activating VR but does still do it now an then but if you try going to VR when games loading it crashes just about every time which it didnt do before SU10 beta.
it doesnt even give an error message either which is wierd.
running.
AMD 5900x
EVGA 3080TI
64gig DDR4 corsair venance ram
nvme 1tb drive for the games
windows11
reverb G2
no overclocking at all dont need it.

Thanks folks for the reports. I’m hearing at least a few users reporting this specifically on WMR, and we (OpenXR for WMR team) are actively looking into it. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

I have found if i go into an airport before I switch to VR when I am running DX12 helps me. Once I am loaded into the sim I can go back out to the menu and everything is fine untill the Graphics glitches happen. But I have had some nice flights with DX12 and DLSS when I can get it to work.

yes

Fault bucket 2099555176687694452, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

same here. CTD DX12, VR G2
GTX RTX 3090,
i7-12700K 3.61 GHz
64 GB Ram
Win 11
no XR Toolkit
error Message: “0x00007FFFE9650669, RAM 0x0000000000000004, The process “read” wasnt able to be carried out in the RAM.”

I’m on Radeon Pro W6800X 32GB graphics card (the Apple version) on a Mac Pro 2019 workstation, so no overclocking or anything like that, also with Reverb G2. I have it connected to the Thunderbolt Port on the W6800X (via Microsoft Surface USB-C adaptor) and a USB-C port.

But I was also having non-stop CTDs any time I was switching out of or into VR mode. DX11 or DX12 didn’t seem to make a difference. I checked and nothing was overheating (which it shouldn’t anyway).

What I did was uninstall OpenXR toolkit and reset the Windows Mixed Reality Portal as well. Two flights completed today after this with no crashes and multiple times switching between 2D and VR modes.

Tonight the flight was in DX12 mode, no problems encountered. Maybe this might give you some ideas to try.

I don’t have any issues any longer.

I can confirm that the WMR team has worked with Asobo on this issue and the fix was rolled out in the latest SU10 build.

1 Like

CTD when i switch to VR mode under DX12 beta settings