Custom installation path

Last time I installed Flight Simulator maybe two years ago I could choose exactly where I wanted to install it. Seems like those days are gone. And this bothers me a great deal. Having just bough a new M2 disk for my own money, not Microsoft’s, I want to have it the way I want - that is without bloat folders on the root of my new disk. What’s inside of the Flight Simulator install folder of my choosing I don’t care about, but don’t screw up the root of my new disk.

Was just wondering how I can install Flight Simulator to exactly where I want it and without random folders popping up on the root of the disk? How is the Steam version compared to this mischief excuse of a game manager called Xbox App for Windows?

I feel that not being able to install a game exactly where I want it and being forced random folders outside where I want is disrespecting me as a gamer and a Windows user.

I don’t know about how the store version got installed but on Steam you can easily alter the core core files (executable and everything needed for the installer to be drawn on screen) wherever you want.

The largest bunch of files however can be installed anywhere and even be moved after download and installation elsewhere to a new custom path:

Other than these there are just some cache locations - anyway 99% of the sim is the packages mentioned above :wink:

1 Like

If I can install the core game on C, which is a drive I don’t care about how looks because it’s messy anyway, and then have the game files on E in its own folder - I would be very happy about that. Will try and see how it looks.

Should work this way :wink: the executable file (.exe) and basic game files to run the menu stay in some hidden place on C:\ anyway on the store version (assuming that’s also your Windows drive).

At C:\(your user)\AppData\Roaming will be a Flight Simulator folder with mapscache data not alterable, at C:\(your user)\AppData\LocalCache will also stay a Flight Simulator folder with basic configuration files.

The package folders with 80GB+ of data however can be moved to your other drive. If you wanna organize that even more you could use the Addons Linker mod from flights on.to (if you wanna use free and paid addons from outside of the Market Place)

1 Like

Thank you very much! It might even be how it worked last time I installed it - I just forgot. Anyway, installing now and I’m very happy with how this turned out :slight_smile:

1 Like