DA40-NGX Improvement Mod (v0.10, SEP 30, SuX)

what speed were you climbing at?

Not happening for me either. Make sure you set the Altitude before clicking VS and FLC

I will do another test flight and will let you all know. Thank you!

I did 4 tests. Every time it overshoots the set altitude!
With the latest versions of the DA40NGX and the working-title G1000 0.3.2 mod, both reinstalled.
In all tests I had set the altitude first and then FLC or VS.

Ah Ha!!

Take a look at your standby altitude indicator. It’s leveling off at 2200 feet. There is something wrong with the way your barometer is set. How do you set the baro - using the BARO knob or using the standby alt Kohlmann knob?

Try just using the b key

2 Likes

Thats odd. Indeed my standby altitude indicator shows that I’m leveling off at 2200ft.
When I set my local altimeter, I use the outer big knob under CRS BARO.

Good catch, thank you!

Exactly by setting up both the barometer in the G1000 and on the standby altitude indicator, it works.

2 Likes

Anyone having issues transferring fuel to left tank with this mod?

Thanks

-Josh

The only problem I have is forgetting to turn it off. Always seem to get distracted looking at the scenery and end up with a big fuel imbalance in favour of the left tank.

3 Likes

that is what i did, somehow for DA40 NG the “read” altitude for autopilot is the standby altitude indicator and NOT the one in G1000, bit strange yeah

1 Like

just wanted to ask this since I am not a pilot IRL - prior to take off - I set VS and set and engage heading without turning on the autopilot. Is that very wrong - the big advantage is that on take off climb I control the aircraft to the same VS and heading as I set and then engage the AP so no drop of the nose as I used to frantically try and click up the VS after engaging the autopilot. Could you do that in the real plane? IS it wrong?

That’s the correct way to do it - you should configure your AP on the ground and activate once the aircraft is stable.

1 Like

At least with the new generation :slight_smile:
The HDG bug was the only thing I could preset in the Century IV AP in my PA32-301.
Everything else had to be done airborne and after the initial attitude was trimmed.
Even after we had spent about 25000$ on GNS530/430 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with the posts above this one.

You can set the ALT and possibly the HDG if you use that instead of GPS NAV or VOR/LOC.

See section 6.4 in the Garmin manual:
Garmin G1000 for DA40NG

On the ground before take off you would set the ALT for your planned route. Most likely you have a flight plan, but if not set the HDG after take-off and getting away from the control zone for your enroute heading.

Setting your vertical speed is usually set when you are flying (say take-off for climb VS) and have established a climb or descent as a reference and then engage the VS button to hold that VS.

The FD - Flight Director can be on and it shows you what to do - pitch/roll with the AP off. With the AP engaged you are seeing what the AP is telling the aircraft to do.

Is setting the VS before hand wrong? - well No but you have to make sure the weather/temp etc will allow you to do what you are setup to do. Your method works quite well in the sim. I’m no expert and others with more experience can let me know if I am incorrect.

2 Likes

The approach of setting the VS up before the AP is connected avoids the relatively hard pitch down that you see in the sim if you do it the other way around.
Personally I don’t think the sim AP is actually doing this correctly at the moment, so the work around is simply making the airplane fly the way I would expect a modern AP to handle this. But my real G1000 experience is limited to a couple of flights and to be honest I don’t remember that we even used the AP.

Setting the HDG bug to the runway heading initially is how I was taught by my CFI because it is A a simple way to remind you where ATC expects you to fly right after takeoff and B with the older APs HDG mode was the default after you engaged the system and if the bug was 90 or more degrees off from the aircraft heading you could get a nasty surprise if the aircraft suddenly rolls into a tight turn while climbing out and possibly even interfere with other traffic.

1 Like

The thing annoying about the MSFS AP behaviour for is that if you go to VS mode, the plane tries to level before you can enter the VS value … Since there is no way to pre-enter the VS, the AP should initialize not to zero, but to whatever your VS currently is.

To real pilots : does it not work like this on the G1000 (or other avionics you are used to) ?

2 Likes

I agree that AP should not level off if you are already trimmed to say a 500 ft/min climb.
The workaround to push VS and set the gradient before pushing AP works fine with at least the modified DA40 and DA62.
As I had mentioned my real world experience in the G1000 airplanes did not include AP use but I can’t see the GFC700 behaving this way.
The old Century IV in my Saratoga certainly did not pitch down but simply took over the trim servo and maintained the attitude it was engaged with.

1 Like

I guess that is the key to the question I was asking is that - it would make sense that you could set the VS fpm prior to engaging (pressing) the activate button. But you can’t do it in the Sim. Can you do it that way round in the actual G1000. It would make me feel a lot better about the workaround that i currently use.

before update 5, the autopilot would keep the climb.
they broke that

1 Like

What are you referring to? I configure target altitude and VS on the ground by activating VS mode and dialing in the desired VS, then when the aircraft is stable and flying, I activate AP and the VS mode is engaged.

1 Like