DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Change your key binding for that. I have one of the buttons on my HOTAS that does it. It should increase by 100 ft increments with every button press. Whatever you’re using is probably registering multiple presses each time you try to change altitude. If you do hold it down, however, it will change by thousands.

1 Like

Did a max altitude/max speed run in the B model this afternoon … With under 20% internal fuel remaining, I hit an absolute ceiling of 49,970’ MSL at Mach 2.43. That’s an IAS of just under 906 knots, a ground speed of 1,349 knots and a TAS of 1,362 knots thanks to a quartering headwind. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually it flies fastest around 40k feet in my exp.

It’s a fast fun plane to fly and now I more leans on to flying full manually from start to end as what this plane should be. Quite fun to do so

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s the fastest the Tomcat’s ever been seen at, and bang on the listed maximum velocity @CodenameJack447 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

According to the Natops, F-14B top mach speed at 45k-50k feet is mach 2.38+. This top speed can vary with GW and ISA temperature, among other things. So yeah maybe 2.430 is the max mach for that altitude if you are leveled. the F-14A is 2.28+,
and it would take much longer to reach its top speed than the F-14B, being 30% less powerful.

3 Likes

I was trying to see if I could go max alt/max speed without worrying about whether or not I was in a shallow dive or anything, so I was using autopilot at the time to ensure I wasn’t oscillating around with the pitch. I set the autopilot reference altitude to 50,000’ but couldn’t QUITE reach it. Bu that ensure that I wasn’t monkeying around with the trim and skewing the numbers. :slight_smile:

But as you can see from the HUD photo, I was very lightly loaded at the time (the Bingo fuel warning is illuminated).

1 Like

Codename Jack447, quick question…in the F-14, is there an event that triggers an automatic go-around? I find if I’m on an ILS and autothrottle is enabled, sometimes when I lower the flaps the plane increases a bunch of power and initates a climb at least a few thousand feet if I let it go on its own. Resembles a go-around sort of…is that an intentional thing?

50k is a bit too high. Come down and get in the NATs. You’ll hit it.

Not sure what you’re saying. I’m already hitting the max speed listed for the aircraft at that altitude. What speed (Mach number, IAS, TAS) are you getting at FL400? And what is the weight of the aircraft when you do it?

1 Like

NATs are the North Atlantic Tracks. You’ll be faster there. I’ll test it when I’m done with KIAH to YSSY in the F-15E. I have another 4:30 to go. I’m almost certain I’ve been faster than your reported number when I’m being pushed by the wind up there.

1 Like

I know I’m in a different plane, but I’m currently doing 2.549 at around 65K lbs at 45K here. I believe its max should be 2.4. The wind is your friend!

1 Like

The F-15 is (and always has been) faster than the Tomcat - better T/W ratio makes a difference. Catch the jet stream as tailwind and your ground speed is nuts. That’s specifically why I test in the Pacific.

2 Likes

No, I don’t think so, if you are within the altitude that should not happen (not above 3500ft of radio altitude if I am close to the localizer and an airspeed between 200-260kts since above that speed It would not let you deploy full flaps). It is true that deploying full flaps provides a great amount of lift that could alter the procedure and the f-14 didn’t follow the glideslope for that reason (you could activate the airbrake to counteract the lift effects caused by the flaps if DLC is not enough). Anyway. I can assure you that there is no script that could intentionally trigger a go around.

What is true is (within MSFS at least), if between the current radio altitude of the aircraft and the distance at which you are with respect to the
runway radio altitude, if there is a terrain elevation within the glideslope, the aircraft will not correct the altitude even if it means crashing … so you should do ILS CAT I instead of III.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself. Almost in Sydney… I can’t wait to see some land!

1 Like

If we are talking about f-15E i’ll post you the flight envelope we have tried to square.
You have to bear in mind that for altitudes above 37000ft we have used the STD - 10, which means that at sea level the temperature is about 5º. Which would mean, that even carrying more GW than 40,000, you could exceed the curve of a normal STD. But I don’t know to what extent the game simulates it correctly.

I don’t have the one for the f-14B at hand, but here you have the one for the F-14A (ref 4):

I have put the red bow to square the maximum theoretical speed of 2.28+ mach. In the F-14B would be similar but with a theoretical maximum of 2.38+

1 Like

This is gold! Thank you.

1 Like

I should be in the NATs soon. KBOS to EIDW. Let’s see how fast I can get this thing to go…

Ok thanks, just checking to see if it was intentional… I’ve had a few people tell me that when they are on approach the plane at some point takes over and just keeps flying up… so today I tried it out and found that while on approach 200kts or less and lowered the flaps without having DLC on the autothrottle takes over and the plane just holds a nose up attitude and climbs like crazy… it is like it’s doing a go around but it’s completely random and unintended… I’ll create an example and pm you the footage to see what I mean… 3000 feet AGL and 200 kts or less is very common in all cat approaches…I would never try a cat III approach with this plane or any of the others that are out there… they just don’t have the equipment or ability… any approach I do is just to the Cat I minimums.

Let the flaps do their own thing on the 14. The 15, to me at least, takes a little extra work/less trust on landings. The people reporting the plane ascending on approach at full flaps probably are going too fast. They’re just not going fast enough for the wings to pull back. Fast enough to get lift though. Both the 14 and 15 do that with too much speed at low altitudes in the sim.

No this is something way different… I’ll share a clip on this thread… just as an example to explain what is happening… actually from a real world perspective it’s quite abnormal.

1 Like