Depth of Field?

Yes I get that I also mentioned this too earlier! maybe you missed that?

Its personal preference and only works with drone mode. Motion blur is universal I believe. Don’t like it turn it off and no it doesn’t use up GPU power at least from what I’ve seen.Has no major performance hit on modern GPUS.

The pre-flight cinematic seems to use it too, but not sure this one is linked to the setting.

DOF is a photography (and videography) term that describes how far out items will appear reasonably in focus away from the actual plane of focus.
Generally this is controlled with the aperture (larger aperture(smaller f number) = shallower DOF, smaller aperture = deeper (in both directions) DOF. Sensor (film for us old bastards) size plays a large role here too, the larger the sensor size the less DOF you get.
That is why smart phone cameras with their tiny lenses and tiny sensors have almost infinite DOF vs a large format camera where in portraits you can focus on indivifual hairs and blur everything else. That used to make for a lot of bad photos where the tip of the nose is in focus but the eyes are not.

Note that technically only items that are exactly on the focus plane will be in focus, DOF is a bit of an approximation thing. The larger the print, the more the blur becomes apparent.

DOF typically extends about 1/3 in front and 2/3 back of the focus plane, which is why it usually appears much more pronounced in the background.

There is more to it but in layman’s terms this explains all we need to know.

Nothing of that answers your question of course, but maybe it explains why DOF only affects the drone camera, as that is the only real “camera” in that sense, the others are more like “views”

The human eye works exactly the same way BTW, only the brain superposes the different images so that everything seems in focus!

(Fun fact, the quality of the blur is often reffered to as “bokeh”)

4 Likes