Descent degrees query

And this guy is the authority for all airlines and all Airbus pilots? Are you serious?

I did not say that. Don’t worry,. As you said, you were a pilot
 You do what you do,

After more than 17000hrs it’s most likely the best idea.

I can’t post the entire Document, because I just cant. However these are the examples used when VS would be more applicable over other modes.

Examples:

PRE078 climb FL 370 at 1000 feet per minute or greater until passing FL 360 due crossing traffic.

EKR365 descend FL 120 at 1500 feet per minute or less.

SNA031 descent at 2500 feet per minute or greater due traffic.

SLV015 climb at 1500 feet per minute or greater until passing FL 220 due danger area ahead.

Rather than acting like a know it all, as a Pilot on a flightsim forum, why dont you educate in a manner that teaches rather than acting all high and mighty. I am not disagreeing with you, as I have said it could be a factor of many things.,. But this is the info given.

Please keep the discussion civilized and refrain from going at it against each other

1 Like

Not going to discuss on this level with you.
You said that V/S is not being used and I replied that this is wrong. That’s all.

did not say “Not used” I said it is not the main way, as per the airbus Pilot and the Airbus Documentation. That’s all

I don’t think you quite understand. There is no glide slope or vertical guidance of any kind of a non-precision approach. That’s kind of the point.

Again, wrong. There is no vertical guidance on a non-precision approach. Again, that’s the entire point.

What you’re not understanding is that 500 FPM at 300 knots is not the same as 500 FPM at 100 knots. Using VS to guide you on a non-precision approach is a good way to hit things.

Not interested in arguments with people like. Thanks though.

Ah, the standard reply when people are finding out that they are wrong. :rofl:

But why not.

If you’re flying a VOR approach and you set a vertical descent angle of 3.0 degrees, absent everything else, are you going to find the threshold of the runway? Of course not. And again, flying a non-precision approach like that is illegal. It’s also senseless.

So thanks. I’ve enjoyed the argument I’m going to ignore from here on out.

I’m not wrong. And you’re welcome.

And don’t bother responding. You’re on ignore. Bye.

Amazing your lack of basic understanding. 3° are always 3°. Regardless if you are doing 100 or 300kts. That’s the whole point of using an angle instead of v/s!
Try thinking about it instead of starting personal attacks.

That’s just wrong information. You can go into VS mode AND pull for selected speed if you want. Thrust will drive the speed but your rate of descent will remain the same. As @PZL104 stated, OPEN descent can give you a much steeper descent rate than needed - not comfortable for passengers.

there isn’t a hard and fast rule. The FCU modes are TOOLS that pilots of the A320 understand how to use to achieve the desired result, depending on the situation.

I’m confused.

When I get to FLAMS, if my GS is 70kts, setting VS to -400fpm should work shouldn’t it?

Of course it works. Simply disregard StatesideSiren4s misleading posts.
If you use FPA instead of v/s, setting 3.27° will indicate the correct v/s, regardless of ground speed.

1 Like

That makes sense. Within reason, no matter where I set the throttle the AP will maintain the glide slope. The throttle now controls my airspeed, not my VS. I say within reason as I tend to fly the Islander a lot, and it’s AP doesn’t seem to cope well with precision approaches. But the 172 is more than capable of the above.